News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 691     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

VIA Rail

Via is proposing trashing Eastern Ontario services through Kingston - looking at the history of VIA and service cuts outside of the main intercity corridor, it's completely irresponsible and ethically questionable to claim there's going to be significant services left other the the almost 5-hour Montreal to Toronto service.

Ethically questionable? You're losing it.

No city or town is owed rail service. And as long as politicians underfund VIA, there will be tough choices to make. Subsidizing services to small towns instead of the bulk of Canadians who live in the metro areas is nonsense. Yet another subsidy to rural Canada paid for by urbanites.

And worse, the national rail provider only provides these services in Eastern Ontario. Why doesn't Halifax-Moncton-Fredricton warrant 8 trains a day? Heck, why doesn't Calgary-Edmonton warrant the same level of service? VIA is picking up the slack for Queen's Park. And if that were to stop, there's nothing wrong about it. HFR is finally going to transform VIA into more of a proper intercity service. And actually offer real service to the 12 million who live in the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City metro areas.

By the way Quebec City is the 7th largest CMA. Just behind Ottawa. And ahead of Winnipeg, Hamilton, KWC, London, St. Catharines, or Halifax. Kingston is about a fifth the size of Quebec City. Sounds like a good trade to me.

I don't see that as a personal attack, given you've previously reported being paid to work on this project. But it could have been better phrased, and in the interest of harmony, I've rephrased it.
Are you trying to troll me?

Google defines a "shill" as "an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others".
FYI, my signature reads "Disclaimer: I am employed by VIA Rail. However, the opinions expressed here are my own and VIA is in no way liable or responsible for their content. Comments and figures posted by me here should be treated as the work of an enthusiastic University student currently researching part-time on related topics and not in any way be linked to my employment at VIA Rail."

PS: I increasingly wonder why we even bother having admins and moderators in this forum...

Attachments

• 1562382856125.png
    1562382856125.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 272
Kingston is about a fifth the size of Quebec City. Sounds like a good trade to me.
??? I equated Montreal-Quebec City (via Trois-Rivieres), to the similar lengthed but bigger population of Toronto-Sarnia via KW, Stratford, St. Marys, and London. If VIA is doing one, it should do the other.

No city or town is owed rail service.
Agreed. Which is why I expect Kingston service will eventually be gutted if they move the Toronto-Montreal/Ottawa mainline further north.

Last edited:
Google defines a "shill" as "an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others".
What? That's not the definition. And google is not a dictionary!

... oh hang on ... my bad. That's pretty close to the definition.

Sorry, I was looking for the word that means "paid spokesman". Yikes ... how did I get that wrong ...

My apologies.

No city or town is owed rail service. And as long as politicians underfund VIA, there will be tough choices to make. Subsidizing services to small towns instead of the bulk of Canadians who live in the metro areas is nonsense. Yet another subsidy to rural Canada paid for by urbanites.

I’m calling ‘urban elitism’ on this comment, even if the population breakdown fits. Depends on what you call “small towns” - certainly we can’t fund rail service to every one-stoplight community, and even those hamlets that are lucky enough to have been located on the main lines can’t expect through trains to stop there . But particularly in Ontario, and urban Quebec, the problem is that we are verging on sprawl and we have a choice between discrete communities separated by greenbelts versus one big honking urban area. Once we build highways, we encourage the sprawl, but if we can service medium and smaller communities by rail there is still hope that they remain freestanding centres. Kingston is the best example but certainly Belleville, Cobourg, and even Smiths Falls meet this model.

And worse, the national rail provider only provides these services in Eastern Ontario. Why doesn't Halifax-Moncton-Fredricton warrant 8 trains a day? Heck, why doesn't Calgary-Edmonton warrant the same level of service? VIA is picking up the slack for Queen's Park. And if that were to stop, there's nothing wrong about it. HFR is finally going to transform VIA into more of a proper intercity service. And actually offer real service to the 12 million who live in the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City metro areas.

Damn right those places deserve better VIA service! As Ottawa has whittled away at regional services, the Ontario Lakeshore has been spared the longest simply thanks to the through business. HFR brings the issue to the head, by taking the through business away. This may be the last chance to stop that trend. The Lakeshore service should be looked on as a model, not an outrider.

One could debate adnauseum how the provincial-federal ‘turf’ should be cut up between GO and VIA. My personal view is that the pendulum has swung too far and as Ottawa refuses to step up, GO is assuming services that are better preserved as regionals. Kitchener and Niagara are good examples....we still need limited stops trains that minimize travel time end to end. Passing the turf to GO, and serving those areas only with 2-hour-long stopping trips, is not progress. GO service to Kitchener, even 2WAD, is not going to give KW a business boost unless faster semi express service also is operated.

I would like to see VIA organize in the same way that SNCF is structured - a core interprovincial system, with regional entities planning and supporting local service to the level desired locally. With even a local transit tier available.

The enemy here is Ottawa, which adamantly refuses to empower VIA or give it a legal mandate that Cabinet can’t meddle with, or alternatively to empower provinces to work on their own again without Ottawa offering passive aggression.

- Paul

PS, @UrbanSky, I for one really value your contributions - clearly you can’t and shouldn’t speak for your employer, but the insights you do offer into wher VIA’s heads are at are invaluable to us folks in the bleachers. I will admit that I see huge non-sequiturs in the HFR proposal, which I continue to struggle with and voice, but you’ve convinced me numerous times that there is substance to things that I would otherwise dismiss out of hand. I hope you don’t see all our arguments as attacks.

Someone who had the opportunity to inspect the Amtrak model with an eye to VIA’s use had two issues to report: one being that the cab cars will not have doors at the cab end, which will force crews to walk through these coaches if they need to alight for operational reasons, eg throwing switches manually. The other being the number of places in the locomotive carbody where one can see daylight....which could imply problems with snow infiltration into the loco.

- Paul

To these two points....

- The Californian version of the cab cars will have a small baggage area, with a dedicated baggage door, located immediately behind the cab and in front of the passenger compartment. No access through the passenger compartment is necessary by the operating crew. Considering what we've seen so far have been just mock-ups (although detailed mock-ups at that), I don't think that we can assume that this will be the ultimate and final configuration of each individual car.
- While seeing daylight from inside a carbody is not necessarily a big operational issue (come on, you've walked through an F-unit before!), in the case of the Chargers it actually turned out to be a big one this past winter. Most of the units based out of Chicago had to be sidelined for weeks at a time due problems caused by snow ingress. One would hope that Siemens has learned from this and that it won't be a problem going forward. At least there is an argument to be made here that Siemens will have several years of operation on the US units to fine-tune a lot of these potential issues before VIA gets their units.

Dan

- While seeing daylight from inside a carbody is not necessarily a big operational issue (come on, you've walked through an F-unit before!),

LOL..... fond memories.......the original comment was more along the lines of, “Compared to what we’ve got, there things are really open to the elements, eh?”.... it was the degree of exposure rather than the mere fact. One hopes this is either corrected and/or mitigated with heating traces, insulation, etc.

- Paul

VIA did a presentation to a US group in February, and the info that they gave was bit ambiguous. They were referring to the current corridor train sizes, but it could have been (and was) interpreted as describing the size of the new Siemens-built trains.

The new trains will come delivered only in 5-car configurations.

Dan
When Irish Rail got their Rotems (and they were DMUs not loco hauled) the received wisdom was that the 3 and 6 car trainsets were set in stone, at least for service, and even after a unit in a 6 consist was long term busted the remaining 5 sat around waiting for its return. In 2013 it was decided to mix things up and 4 and 5 car consists were put into operation. I suspect something similar will be done here - run fixed consists until the train management system and other considerations are well understood. If VIA want to run shorter or longer trains they will still have a certain amount of legacy stock to do that with until they can find some more money from a sympathetic government.

As for the Mont Royal tunnel, I think it is possible that either VIA have been asked not to rock the boat and profess a continued interest in using it (to avoid the perception that CDPQ have been given sole control), or that VIA are using a professed interest to bargain for something else from Quebec in return for letting it drop. Hard to know either way - Jennifer Pagliaro's latest stories about Scarborough Subway shows that both elected officials and government agencies will say whatever they think will meet their objectives, rather than simple and objective truth.

While seeing daylight from inside a carbody is not necessarily a big operational issue (come on, you've walked through an F-unit before!), in the case of the Chargers it actually turned out to be a big one this past winter. Most of the units based out of Chicago had to be sidelined for weeks at a time due problems caused by snow ingress. One would hope that Siemens has learned from this and that it won't be a problem going forward. At least there is an argument to be made here that Siemens will have several years of operation on the US units to fine-tune a lot of these potential issues before VIA gets their units.

Dan
The Chargers Amtrak are getting for long distance have quite a few mods based on their observations of the State units, some of which I hope are also showing up on VIA's versions.

I’m calling ‘urban elitism’ on this comment, even if the population breakdown fits. Depends on what you call “small towns” - certainly we can’t fund rail service to every one-stoplight community, and even those hamlets that are lucky enough to have been located on the main lines can’t expect through trains to stop there . But particularly in Ontario, and urban Quebec, the problem is that we are verging on sprawl and we have a choice between discrete communities separated by greenbelts versus one big honking urban area. Once we build highways, we encourage the sprawl, but if we can service medium and smaller communities by rail there is still hope that they remain freestanding centres. Kingston is the best example but certainly Belleville, Cobourg, and even Smiths Falls meet this model.

And I'm calling your take a Kingston-centric point-of-view. It's not even an Ontario POV since VIA is all but irrelevant to Northern Ontario. We can go back and forth. Won't change reality. VIA is under-resourced. And as such, focusing those (limited) resources on a less profitable operation which serves a small proportion of the public is a guaranteed strategy to watch VIA get killed in our lifetime. Consider what happens as the required subsidy grows. How many Canadians will go to bat for VIA when it won't be relevant to several major metros in Ontario and Quebec? We need to recognize that this is a slow moving existential crisis for VIA. If they don't get something that substantially grows ridership (HFR is supposed to have almost 10 million riders vs. 4.7 million for all of VIA today), we will watch the end of VIA in our lifetimes.

I am just fine with tossing Kingston under the proverbial bus. Or rather finally compelling the Ontario government to live up to its responsibilities by offering GO services to/out of Kingston, London, etc. or paying the Corridor subsidy and having VIA run services on their behalf. See Amtrak California as an excellent North American example of how this could work.

Damn right those places deserve better VIA service! As Ottawa has whittled away at regional services, the Ontario Lakeshore has been spared the longest simply thanks to the through business. HFR brings the issue to the head, by taking the through business away. This may be the last chance to stop that trend. The Lakeshore service should be looked on as a model, not an outrider.

Nobody is looking at it as an "outrider". VIA has said they'll keep service and hub in Kingston. It's this insistence that VIA maintain services as they are today that is bonkers. Kingston and Eastern Ontario will truly be getting something no other community and corridor of the same size and context get. And yet they need more than that? Why? What's the justification to run anything more than 6-10 trains a day from Kingston to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal?

If it's about standing on principle, are you prepared to watch VIA fail as their subsidy bill keeps growing? Just imagine what happens if they launch HFR and the promised savings don't materialize.

The enemy here is Ottawa, which adamantly refuses to empower VIA or give it a legal mandate that Cabinet can’t meddle with, or alternatively to empower provinces to work on their own again without Ottawa offering passive aggression.

How are the provinces not empowered to work on their own? GO has advanced a fair amount on VIA's "turf". And VIA has accordingly ceded ground. They seem to have a great working relationship there. I think it's provinces who have been laggards. They've always underinvested in public transit. And they basically relegated intercity transport to VIA and private bus operators, without any contribution to support such services. The expectation that most of this should fall to the feds is nuts from my perspective, and a recipe for neglect.

I am just fine with tossing Kingston under the proverbial bus. Or rather finally compelling the Ontario government to live up to its responsibilities by offering GO services to/out of Kingston, London, etc. or paying the Corridor subsidy and having VIA run services on their behalf. See Amtrak California as an excellent North American example of how this could work.

That’s my point. Kingston can’t be the next California, because VIA has no quasi-403b authority to negotiate with Ontario to maintain service. VIA moves to the Havelock line, Transport Canada and CN say “guess you’re done with Kingston, eh?”, and VIA has no authority to say “piss off, we’re talking to Ontario about what they need”. Sure, VIA can withdraw, and GO can start at square zero to convince CN to accept local trains..... that’s passive aggressive transport policy.

Absolutely none of the TGV lines resulted in reduction of local service on the parallel legacy lines that TGV overtook. Similarly in Italy. Check out service to Beaune, France, or Avignon. I would suggest that no other jurisdiction has implemented HxR in that manner.

Nobody is looking at it as an "outrider". VIA has said they'll keep service and hub in Kingston. It's this insistence that VIA maintain services as they are today that is bonkers. Kingston and Eastern Ontario will truly be getting something no other community and corridor of the same size and context get. And yet they need more than that? Why? What's the justification to run anything more than 6-10 trains a day from Kingston to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal?

6-10 is fine. my question is.....what enforceable instrument assures us that the frequency will stay at that level? Ask London, Chatham, Stratford, Niagara Falls or Sarnia about how that works.

One of those non-sequiturs that I referred to is, HFR is grounded on the idea that frequency (moreso than speed) is what sells tickets. So why does secondary service work differently? Suddenly “a few a day is good enough” applies. I’m not suggesting hourly Toronto-North Bay service, but the original Northlander twice daily pattern is a lot more marketable than once daily. The Kingston corridor can justify more than token service. We just need to resolve the freight/pax conflicts.

Should Ontario contribute? Absolutely. But we can’t replace today’s network with a quasi-air facility that only serves places on the air grid....Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec aren’t enough, even if the business case is grounded in replacing hourly flights with hourly trains that offer a reasonable alternative considering price, trip time, and amenities.

I wonder also how Drummondville and Sherbrooke would fare once HFR runs through Trois Rivieres. Are they locked out of the network?

Sure, I have trouble justifying continued service to Casselman and Moose Creek once HFR is implemented. But there are medium sized places that ought to be served.

How are the provinces not empowered to work on their own? GO has advanced a fair amount on VIA's "turf". And VIA has accordingly ceded ground. They seem to have a great working relationship there. I think it's provinces who have been laggards. They've always underinvested in public transit. And they basically relegated intercity transport to VIA and private bus operators, without any contribution to support such services. The expectation that most of this should fall to the feds is nuts from my perspective, and a recipe for neglect.

Recall former VIA CEO YD-S’s reaction when Ontario first floated its HSR Toronto-Windsor proposal. For a time, it gained ground faster than VIA’s HFR plan. YD-S was apopleptic, and for good reason. It turned out that Kathleen Wynne was blowing smoke, with neither the money nor the political momentum to do more than have Collenette do his “study”. But, for a time it looked like Ontario had the motivation and the money, while VIA was being obstructed by a hostile federal bureaucracy and neglected by an apathetic cabinet, and could do nothing but sit on the sidelines and breathe Ontario’s dust. None of that could be called good federal-provincial integrated planning.

- Paul

Last edited:
When Irish Rail got their Rotems (and they were DMUs not loco hauled) the received wisdom was that the 3 and 6 car trainsets were set in stone, at least for service, and even after a unit in a 6 consist was long term busted the remaining 5 sat around waiting for its return. In 2013 it was decided to mix things up and 4 and 5 car consists were put into operation. I suspect something similar will be done here - run fixed consists until the train management system and other considerations are well understood. If VIA want to run shorter or longer trains they will still have a certain amount of legacy stock to do that with until they can find some more money from a sympathetic government.

Oh, absolutely. The same has happened many, many times in England with many of the more modern D(E)MUs and even EMUs as well.

But for the outset, and the time being, the purpose of this fleet is to replace, basically one-for-one, the existing Corridor fleet. And one way to improve utilization is to standardize everything into one common design. That way, any set can be used in any cycle at any time.

That isn't to say that things will stay this way for ever.

Dan

That’s my point. Kingston can’t be the next California, because VIA has no quasi-403b authority to negotiate with Ontario to maintain service. VIA moves to the Havelock line, Transport Canada and CN say “guess you’re done with Kingston, eh?”, and VIA has no authority to say “piss off, we’re talking to Ontario about what they need”. Sure, VIA can withdraw, and GO can start at square zero to convince CN to accept local trains..... that’s passive aggressive transport policy.

Absolutely none of the TGV lines resulted in reduction of local service on the parallel legacy lines that TGV overtook. Similarly in Italy. Check out service to Beaune, France, or Avignon. I would suggest that no other jurisdiction has implemented HxR in that manner.

- Paul

Even on the Tokaido Line, which was bypassed by HSR in 1964, has frequent, comfortable, limited express operation. It was fun taking one of those trains from Himeji to Kyoto on the way back, with constant turnover. The turnover in passengers to and/from places like Belleville, Kingston, and Brockville matters for revenue and load management.

NSW Tranlink in Australia is a good model to follow if a intra provincal transit system is created. They cover the entire state with a bus train feeder system. Similar to what Ontario Northland does but with emphasis on rail. I like to think that there's a alternate reality in which Ontario didn't mass abandon rail lines maintained a similar system to this.

The answer from me is, no, VIA should not be operating a local service. Once all the seats are sold out in a train, there is no standing room. A local service needs to have that capacity. But unless the provincal does a mass buying of active rail lines and converted rail trails for reuse, it won't happen.

When I was in Australia, I took the train west from Sydney to Parkes which is similar in distance from Toronto to North Bay . There should be a bare bones commuter train running between Toronto and North Bay destinations year round. With extra service during the summer. Now that will only happen with at least double track and provincially owned infrastructure. Once there is all day service to Barrie, feeder bus service will help spur rail growth.

I haven't had the chance to experience this service myself, but your description of it certainly makes sense.

What I envision is a service that has a similar feel to the UP Express. Basically a hybrid between a GO train and a VIA train. It could even use the same model of train, since the demand wouldn't require as many coaches as VIA.

The question I have is why can't Metrolinx start negotiating today to take over from VIA? The situation we have comes down to the fact that we have a this peculiar situation in Canada where the provinces largely ignore their responsibility to provide intercity rail. You don't need specific authorities to transfer a service. That may speak to leverage and price. But it does not at all speak to intent. And there's no intent to provide intercity rail for the most part. What's particularly bizarre is that we don't think the same way in Canada about ferries. Just rail.

They also didn't have a government bean counter who made their HSR projects contingent on reducing subsequent subsidies.

6-10 is fine. my question is.....what enforceable instrument assures us that the frequency will stay at that level? Ask London, Chatham, Stratford, Niagara Falls or Sarnia about how that works.

Right. There's no guarantee. You willing to see HFR fail on the insistence that a guarantee (heretofore not provided to any other city) be given to the Lakeshore communities before HFR launches?

Moreover, if I were in any of those communities, I would be asking why Kingston gets more service than my town? Ridership really is the only fair way to apportion a service that is inherently dependent on taxpayer subsidy. Any other scheme is effectively the government deciding which community to subsidize more. Such subsidies can be hidden while providing other services. When the cover falls, the justification to keep up the subsidy ends.

One of those non-sequiturs that I referred to is, HFR is grounded on the idea that frequency (moreso than speed) is what sells tickets. So why does secondary service work differently?

ROI. Simple as that. Given that CN owns this line, there will be costs associated with running more trains. And given that ridership will be limited, every train added will have a diminishing (even a negative) return. In a world where those escalating costs are picked up by federal or provincial taxpayers, a higher level of service can be provided. Absent that dream world, their choice is between less service and no service.

Should Ontario contribute? Absolutely. But we can’t replace today’s network with a quasi-air facility that only serves places on the air grid....Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec aren’t enough, even if the business case is grounded in replacing hourly flights with hourly trains that offer a reasonable alternative considering price, trip time, and amenities.

Yes we can. And if we care at all about addressing issues like climate change we must.

I am curious what you think the priority should be if it isn't to reduce those aviation emissions, reduce pressure on existing airports and reduce some driving between those major metros.

I wonder also how Drummondville and Sherbrooke would fare once HFR runs through Trois Rivieres. Are they locked out of the network?

Sure, I have trouble justifying continued service to Casselman and Moose Creek once HFR is implemented. But there are medium sized places that ought to be served.

Again, why should this be VIA's problem? Why is this not ARTM's problem?

Recall former VIA CEO YD-S’s reaction when Ontario first floated its HSR Toronto-Windsor proposal. For a time, it gained ground faster than VIA’s HFR plan. YD-S was apopleptic, and for good reason. It turned out that Kathleen Wynne was blowing smoke, with neither the money nor the political momentum to do more than have Collenette do his “study”. But, for a time it looked like Ontario had the motivation and the money, while VIA was being obstructed by a hostile federal bureaucracy and neglected by an apathetic cabinet, and could do nothing but sit on the sidelines and breathe Ontario’s dust. None of that could be called good federal-provincial integrated planning.

"Apopleptic"? I didn't see that. Did he not like a competing proposal? Sure. Who would? Especially since it was yet another HSR proposal and provided the Ontario government another excuse to duck out of discussing intercity travel. Looks like he was proven right in the end too.

From my perspective, you seem much too ready to give Queen's Park a pass on everything and blame VIA and the feds. I don't see it like that. And Ontario HSR should help explain why. Good "federal-provincial integrated planning" should have involved Queen's Park talking to VIA, asking what they were working on and how the effort could be integrated and coordinated. Not simply announcing an HSR on their own with no due regard to timeline, funding strategy,etc. Turns out, Wynne was not interested in building HSR, just proposing it as a campaign prop/stunt. I would bet money that YDS saw this coming a mile away and so couldn't hide his annoyance. The most I'd say he should be accused of is being undiplomatic.

ps. In case anyone thinks I have something against Kingston.... I actually think it's a great town with a ton of promise. It's just that I think we've come to a decision point where VIA has to make tough choices, and I believe they should put inter-metro service first. If and when VIA gets on stable financial footing, I'd love to see VIA grow. Not just in Eastern Ontario but in other similar corridors.

Last edited:

Back