Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Think about when CIBC Square, The One, 160 Front (eventually blocked by Union Square), Mirvish+Gehry, The Hub, 1 Yonge (Second Phase) all complete, our skyline from the Toronto Islands would be so striking! Can't wait!

I can't imagine The One making much of an impact, given how much further it is than everything else you've listed. I don't even think you can see One Bloor East unless you're maybe over at Ward's Island or Polson Pier.

Yes, this should be a skyline showstopper in the offing (perhaps more so with west-east views). Not only is the glass spectacular, add those prism effects with different lighting, the sharp white fins, and perhaps equally impressive, the night lighting. Had a little time on my hands this afternoon, and did a back of the envelope calc suggesting some 280 spot lights (both upwards and downwards) on each east or west face (somewhat less on the narrower north-south faces). These will light up those diagonal white fins. And pretty sure these will melt any snow/ice issues in short order come winter (it takes very little heat to melt snow on lights).

First pic is an anim. gif going back to March 14th.

C2_anim.gif

CIBC1.jpg

CIBC2.jpg

CIBC3.jpg

CIBC4.jpg

CIBC5.jpg

Those fins are sizeable next to those fellas....

CIBC6.jpg

Four downward directional spots on north face...

CIBC7.jpg

Two upward-directed spots near corners...

CIBC8.jpg

CIBC9.jpg

Last edited:
"Wins/Losses/Ties" (Micah Lexier, 1998), Air Canada Centre, Toronto

The length of each of the 67 rods corresponds to the wins, losses and ties of one of the 67 seasons that the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team played in their previous venue, Maple Leaf Gardens.

Back