Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

What's wrong with tunnelling under the river? Lots of tunnels go under rivers around the world. And how much more would an extra thousand feet or so of tunnel cost over a bridge?

Tunneling under a river is certainly more expensive than building a rail-only bridge but it's more than just cost. They can be built much faster and very importantly allow the tunnel boring machines to continue work on other sections simultaneously. I also wouldn't be surprised if they decide to go cut & cover north of Coxwell to the DVP bridge allowing for shallower and hence easier to build stations and again allowing more tunnel time for using the boring machines in downtown sections.

I don't think Ford could care less about the technology or whether it's LRT or not but rather if it interferes with road traffic. The Manila Metro actually uses LRT trains but is considered a Metro as it is completely grade separated. It's 31km primary line carries 500,000 passengers a day with only 100 meter trains running every 3 minutes. an automated system with 120 meter standard TTC station lengths could carry twice that.

I don't think Ford could care less about the technology or whether it's LRT or not but rather if it interferes with road traffic. The Manila Metro actually uses LRT trains but is considered a Metro as it is completely grade separated. It's 31km primary line carries 500,000 passengers a day with only 100 meter trains running every 3 minutes. an automated system with 120 meter standard TTC station lengths could carry twice that.
I agree. Mr Ford does not care as long as it’s not running down the middle of the street.

Ford initially wanted crosstown all the way to STC underground then above ground in Scarbrough. He just wants transit and traffic separated.
Then why did he argue about the LRT section of that proposed grade-separated line interfering with traffic?

Perhaps it's not that he want's transit and traffic separated - but that he'd dumber than dumb..

Ford initially wanted crosstown all the way to STC underground then above ground in Scarbrough. He just wants transit and traffic separated.
By above ground, I assume you mean elevated - I don't think Ford ever supported that - although I don't think he opposed it either.
Perhaps it's not that he want's transit and traffic separated - but that he'd dumber than dumb..
Agree that Ford is not the sharpest knife in the drawer - which makes it even more embarrassing that he came up with the best transit plan in the past decade.

Agree that Ford is not the sharpest knife in the drawer - which makes it even more embarrassing that he came up with the best transit plan in the past decade.
I can think of many dumber-than-dumb transit plans he came up with. But nothing close to good, let alone best! I think you are making something up here.

Unless you are referring to the plan to build Willowdale station on Line 4 between Bayview and Bessarion - which is brilliant in so many ways! Though I suspect that someone else I'd that for him.

By above ground, I assume you mean elevated - I don't think Ford ever supported that - although I don't think he opposed it either.

I don't consider drawing a line on a map to be a transit plan. Show me the technology, show me the studies, show me the planning that is going in to this. I don't want to be anti Ford just for the sake of it but if he expects to have the line open by 2029 he better have quite a bit of the planning done already, or at least begun.

I don't consider drawing a line on a map to be a transit plan. Show me the technology, show me the studies, show me the planning that is going in to this. I don't want to be anti Ford just for the sake of it but if he expects to have the line open by 2029 he better have quite a bit of the planning done already, or at least begun.
I imagine the studies are at least somewhat there - Metrolinx is likely mostly behind this to be honest. Ford's level of direction was likely "make it cheaper and all subways" and Metrolinx figured out the rest.

I imagine the studies are at least somewhat there - Metrolinx is likely mostly behind this to be honest. Ford's level of direction was likely "make it cheaper and all subways" and Metrolinx figured out the rest.
Than Ford should be transparent with the studies. After all he pledged to be more transparent than the previous Liberal government.

EGLINTON CROSSTOWN RAPID TRANSIT BENEFITS CASE

TABLE 4.7 BENEFIT COST RATIOS WITH RELIABILITY BENEFITS INCLUDED

Option 1 : 1.04:1 [combined Eglinton-Scarborough]
Option 2 : 0.91:1 [combined Eglinton-Scarborough; longer trains and lower frequency]
Option 3 : 0.80:1 [Transit City LRT]
Option 4 : 0.68:1 [Eglinton-Scarborough as a subway]

PATH is like a "relief line" for the streets above it in terms of pedestrian capacity. Without it, the streets of the Financial District couldn't handle the volume of pedestrians at peak times in many spots where there are older buildings built right up to the sidewalk.

Many streets would have had to have their sidewalks widened at the expense of car space a long time ago if it wasn't for PATH.

I am aware of this, was just being silly. ;)

Then Ford should be transparent with the studies. After all he pledged to be more transparent than the previous Liberal government.
Logic would indicate that something, or a couple of things are 'on the table' at Metrolinx, and that's what Ford and Yurek saw...but as time goes on (it's been over a month since the announcement) not one scintilla of engineering detail has emerged. Verster's (gist) "bridge instead of tunnel to traverse the Don at Harbour East" besides, which is a ridiculous suggestion for a number of reasons, but Verster is grabbing at vapour, just as the others are.

I'm really starting to question if indeed there is anything 'on the table'...and this is all a ruse to scare up some capital to invest.

It's bizarre, and getting more so by the day...

Back