Toronto 655 Queen West | 34.2m | 9s | Trinity Group | Teeple Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Unable to find a matching thread. Mods, please move or merge if necessary.

My goodness developers are pretty eager to destroy the Bathurst/Queen intersection with garbage designs. I thought Timbercreek's proposal was bad enough, but now we get this too?

The massing on this is just horrendously bad.

The height of this proposal is reasonable and it's a replacement for that awful Pizza Pizza location.

From that perspective I welcome something....

But clearly there's more than one thing amiss w/this proposal as is...........

I would argue for uniform, modest, setback after the 3rd floor. to better reflect the context/scale of adjacent properties.

Extend Brick up the first three floors, lose the bizarre box.

Tone that brick colour down, I'm fan of colour, but not that colour on this corner.

Add a modest cornice befitting area retail at top of the third floor.

What's set back would concern me less, though they certainly could do something more interesting than the above.

Also the retail signage should not be backlit box style.

It should either be 3D lettering or more of a heritage style with with lighting from above/front, and w/the signage rising almost to the second floor windows.

I believe Timbercreek is part of the Trilium Group who has been quietly acquiring a lot of properties in the area, including the parking lot a couple doors west of the Wheat Sheaf. So it looks like this group is on its way in uglifying the neighbourhood.

655 QUEEN ST W
Ward 10 - Tor & E.York District

All properties: 178 BATHURST ST, 655 QUEEN ST W, 657 QUEEN ST W, 659 QUEEN ST W, 663 QUEEN ST W

Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate redevelopment of the site with anew 8-storey, mixed-use mid-rise building (30.8 metres including mechanical penthouse): 919 square metres of retail space at grade and 4,841 square metres of residential space

The mechanical box looks brutal in the rendering. Can't they integrate it into the architecture? People are going to see this building from near and far around the neighbourhood.

Back