Toronto RioCan Hall | 145.2m | 42s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Interesting! If they don't end up signing a deal, what happens to that space? Retail with no windows and really high ceilings? Do you know how many screens are being proposed there?
8 screens: 2 tall, 4 grande, 2 venti, but no idea how may seats in those.
Did RioCan mention if these would be condos or rentals?
Sorry, I didn't ask, but we should know by the time the submission is made.

This is absolutely gorgeous looks like Hariri pontarini are using some of the ideas from The Well and other proposals !

I would assume that if a chain signs a lease (Cineplex is obviously the target tenant, but there'll still have to be negotiations to get them) and the cinema goes ahead as the plans make provision for, then why would they not continue to present TIFF and HotDocs films the way that the Scotiabank Theatre has been doing for years? Cinemas are rarely very busy beyond Friday evenings, Saturdays, Sundays, and Tuesday evenings, and a filmfest will pack them out for its whole run.

If you're looking for repertory programming during the rest of the year @bilked, TIFF's just down the street!

Meanwhile @smably, as far as I know, no deal has been signed for the cinemas at The Well yet. There is provision for one, but no exhibitor signing upset (unless here's an NDA involved with that).

The latest SPA submission added a Bunch of emergency exit stairs from the lowest level retail space - something only needed for a high occupancy space like a theatre. My guess is that they have a lease.

In regards to cinemas.

I had hoped for Alamo Drafthouse to make their way up here.......

But had been hearing rumours Cineplex was considering hiving off a VIP/arthouse for The Well with the 'mainstream' cinema staying at Riocan.

Not sure about the validity of that....but throw it out there.

Relatedly, it's my understanding leasing at The Well (retail) could be going better..........

Last edited by a moderator:

Look at the architecture... it's rather hodge-podgy.

The podium component of the John St. building (modern) looks like it could attach to the TD Centre rather seemlessly or 2 St. Clair west.

Then it's topped by a building that's sort of modern with a nod to history.....very St. Lawrence neighbourhood, but taller.

Over at building 2, I really like the base level which seems thoughtfully designed to fit in w/the warehouse industrial ethos of years gone by..........

But then suddenly the office tower from the Eaton Centre is tacked onto the top!

I'm of the mind that I'd like to see a render w/building 2's base style extended all the way up.

I'm not as sold on building one or the podium add-on. For the latter, if one wanted a contrast to lighten up a brick-dominated space, I'd be inclined to go with a lighter glass treatment.

I'm also not entirely convinced by the tiny little park.

I know PF & R probably insisted on it.

But I'd really prefer to see just one decent-sized block in the district, mostly replacing parking/non-heritage become a full-sized, well thought out park, rather than these micro spaces.

I hope the city pushes to make the park as large as it possibly can - The entertainment district needs it. This could be the only the second real park in the Spadina - university - queen - front block, which will probably have over 20,000 people living in it in a few years.

The latest SPA submission added a Bunch of emergency exit stairs from the lowest level retail space - something only needed for a high occupancy space like a theatre. My guess is that they have a lease.
(Sorry, off topic re: RioCan Hall) Wait, do you mean stairs coming up to ground from the lower retail level? Because the Cinema at The Well is proposed to be on the second and third levels of Building D (furthest west residential tower on Front).

(Sorry, off topic re: RioCan Hall) Wait, do you mean stairs coming up to ground from the lower retail level? Because the Cinema at The Well is proposed to be on the second and third levels of Building D (furthest west residential tower on Front).

I presumed this meant that this was the theatre space.

It doesn't make much sense to put the theatre above ground anyway - all the windowless spaces that theatres require are better suited for underground uses.

Back