Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

mostly likely won't be. I can't see the conservative government funding a subway in DT Toronto until they have built the Sheppard Line which spans across 4 newly elected PC ridings.

with the city council remap, the proportional support behind the DRL south have also decreased immensely.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DRL South ends up getting bundled with DRL North as an issue for the 2022 (possible 2026) election.
Yeah can you imagine if the Liberals had not built a subway to Vaughan (Greg Sorbera's old riding) and done what they should have for the city.

Thank god they dropped that silly Bay station idea. Yonge and University stations are positioned a bit oddly - would have expected they'd be spared further away from eachother, but not a huge deal. Agree with the above re Jarvis though.
Looking at where the University and Yonge platforms are positioned, you could probably call either of them Bay station! :) Okay, I jest ... but the Yonge station does have an entrance on both the west and east sides of Bay. And the platform does extend under the SW corner of Bay and Queen - and doesn't reach as far as Yonge.

If there was no existing station, this would have been more appropriately named Bay than Yonge!

upload_2018-8-18_13-34-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_13-34-19.png
    upload_2018-8-18_13-34-19.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 472
If not Tory - do you want to give the credit to Rob Ford??
Read through the thread. It all started back in 2008, when the transit study the Crackmayor layer cancelled for the Don Mills LRT started to show that the demand at the south end, was going to be high for LRT, and couldn't just stop at Danforth dumping huge numbers of people onto the Danforth line. This and some scary numbers regarding Bloor-Yonge transfers lead to the line being included in the late 2008 Big Move.

This all long pre-dates Tory, Ford(s), Keesmaat, and Byford.

If anyone gets the initial credit, it should Miller and Giambrone. https://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/data/200804152148.shtml

Or perhaps the April 2008 Spacing article by Sean Marshall - http://spacing.ca/toronto/2008/04/14/the-case-for-a-downtown-relief-line/

Though that references Metrolinx's March 2008 Green Paper 7 https://web.archive.org/web/2008042...onsult.limehouse.com/portal/reviewgreenpaper7 - which includes the Downtown Relief line, and which was the basis for the 2008 Regional Transportation Plan (Big Move).

The line is discussed as part of the bold strategy, in the February 2008 draft - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...pendix_A_-Green_Paper_7_Transit_Feb_22-08.pdf

So perhaps it's Metrolinx, McGuinty and whoever was transportation minister in early 2008 who should get the credit - Jim Bradley.

Thank god they dropped that silly Bay station idea. Yonge and University stations are positioned a bit oddly - would have expected they'd be spared further away from eachother, but not a huge deal. Agree with the above re Jarvis though.

I kinda miss the Bay station idea now that they're positioned that way. If this is a binary choice, I'd rather it be between one Bay station linked to both Line 1 stations, or two interchange stations at Queen and Osgoode with the Relief Line platforms shifted 'outside the U' (east of Yonge, west of University). Not what's proposed.

it's ~600m between the two Line 1 stations. Assuming a 175m long Relief Line station box, you're looking at 200-250m walk to transfer. It's long, but not impossible. But we're also talking about a Relief Line; how many riders would be bothering to transfer to/from Line 1 anyway vs. just walking to/from their origin/destination in the core?

I kinda miss the Bay station idea now that they're positioned that way. If this is a binary choice, I'd rather it be between one Bay station linked to both Line 1 stations, or two interchange stations at Queen and Osgoode with the Relief Line platforms shifted 'outside the U' (east of Yonge, west of University). Not what's proposed.

it's ~600m between the two Line 1 stations. Assuming a 175m long Relief Line station box, you're looking at 200-250m walk to transfer. It's long, but not impossible. But we're also talking about a Relief Line; how many riders would be bothering to transfer to/from Line 1 anyway vs. just walking to/from their origin/destination in the core?

Agreed. If at least one of the two platforms isn't pointing 'outwards' from the loop (either Yonge east to Victoria or University west to McCaul), then I agree doing one central station with connections to either side is best.

And as you've mentioned (a point I've made as well), downtown is a destination, not a transfer point. These stations will probably have the lowest subway-to-subway transfer volumes of any interchange stations on the system. The station box(es) should be positioned to minimize distances to surface destination points, not to minimize transfer distances.

Agreed. If at least one of the two platforms isn't pointing 'outwards' from the loop (either Yonge east to Victoria or University west to McCaul), then I agree doing one central station with connections to either side is best.
I wonder if it would be practical to do one long station kinda like Chicago has on its red line, so trains can stop at Yonge and University but people can walk from either station to Bay or York Street.

I wonder if it would be practical to do one long station kinda like Chicago has on its red line, so trains can stop at Yonge and University but people can walk from either station to Bay or York Street.
Maybe an express PATH between University and Yonge at the same level as the platforms or lower concourse, while the trains stop outside the U.

Certainly other cities create gigantic stations that dwarf anything in Toronto, for example Chatelet-Les-Halles in Paris and TST-East TST in HK. They seem to function well.

Maybe an express PATH between University and Yonge at the same level as the platforms or lower concourse, while the trains stop outside the U.

Both of those options would work. Maybe the TTC can give a moving sidewalk another try, provided they actually properly maintain it this time.

Back