News   Apr 25, 2024
 209     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 565     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

We've just put up a front page story with the latest plans for the Scarborough Centre station, per what was shown to Toronto's Design Review Panel in July.

I was really hoping that they would take design queues from the Scarborough Civic Centre since to me at least the SCC is the real gem in that area as far as design goes. It looks like they are just going to recreate VMC station. The design has a me a little bummed but whatever. Also does it look like they've at least try to fix that disaster of a station layout? It looks like the Subway is much closer to the Bus Terminal this time.

I was really hoping that they would take design queues from the Scarborough Civic Centre since to me at least the SCC is the real gem in that area as far as design goes. It looks like they are just going to recreate VMC station. The design has a me a little bummed but whatever. Also does it look like they've at least try to fix that disaster of a station layout? It looks like the Subway is much closer to the Bus Terminal this time.

The station is massive - 400m in length is about the same distance between entire stations downtown lol.

I wonder what the distance is from the furthest entrance to the subway.

If Ford really does want a three station extension, is this all going down the drain anyways?

33569-114543.jpg

From the front page story.

This image bothers me.

There is another report forthcoming examining the idea of
putting the progress intersection w/McCowan back to grade.

There is already a report suggesting that the slip lanes/highway interchange style connections from Bushby and from Progress to McCowan.

Yet this design seems to make the assumption nothing will change.

Is this another right-hand, left-hand thing?

Was there really no better option than a 400m walk between the station and the mall..? Thats not a negligible distance. Thats close to the distance between stations downtown!

The station itself looks nice. Not too nice like the Vaughan ones, but close. In general I'm very much in favor of simple stations.

Wonder when we find out for sure if the gov is going back to the three station plan (or 4, even)

Was there really no better option than a 400m walk between the station and the mall..? Thats not a negligible distance. Thats close to the distance between stations downtown!
Between that and all the walking to get from the bus bay to the station, I truly do pity anyone who has to use this subway.

The station itself looks nice. Not too nice like the Vaughan ones, but close. In general I'm very much in favor of simple stations.

Wonder when we find out for sure if the gov is going back to the three station plan (or 4, even)
Clearly people don't realize it will take 5-10 minutes to get from instead STC to the subway platform depending on walking pace. This is a lot more than the 1-2 minutes with the SRT. TTC has said this station is going to be ta very deep station. It will take some times to get from the surface to catch that train. All the time they are going to save from the transfer at Kennedy is wasted at the new STC station. On the bright side, the station will look much better than the current simple layout.

I see.

So Harris gets no blame for cancelling the Eglinton subway line when it was under construction?!

If you think the Crosstown is a glorified streetcar you have bought into the Ford propaganda hook line and sinker.

They're only 33 minutes from McCowan station.

I blame Harris for putting us in the mess we have now, and I believe the vast majority of people here do as well. Harris was an awful Premier, from Privatizing the 407 to ending provincial subsidies to the TTC, he, in my eyes, did the most harm to Ontario in recent history.

As far as we know, the crosstown is nothing more than a St. Clair style LRT with better stop spacing east of Don Mills. There's nothing disputing that, and with the current set up, if the corridor does not include signal priority (not that BS downtown), barriers (like on LA's or Calgary's LRT lines), and fencing, it's going to be susceptible to idiots that don't know how to keep to their lane, drivers who believe they own the road and make left turns first, and morons who get flats as a result. We see it in all other cities with this type of LRT line -- accidents are going to happen and they are going to delay a lot of people.

McCowan has arguably the worst transfer or one of the worst transfers to rapid transit on the Bloor-Danforth SRT corridor. When you factor in the time it takes to get to Kennedy, 33 minutes increases to 48 to 53 minutes.

I blame Harris for putting us in the mess we have now, and I believe the vast majority of people here do as well. Harris was an awful Premier, from Privatizing the 407 to ending provincial subsidies to the TTC, he, in my eyes, did the most harm to Ontario in recent history.

As far as we know, the crosstown is nothing more than a St. Clair style LRT with better stop spacing east of Don Mills. There's nothing disputing that, and with the current set up, if the corridor does not include signal priority (not that BS downtown), barriers (like on LA's or Calgary's LRT lines), and fencing, it's going to be susceptible to idiots that don't know how to keep to their lane, drivers who believe they own the road and make left turns first, and morons who get flats as a result. We see it in all other cities with this type of LRT line -- accidents are going to happen and they are going to delay a lot of people.

McCowan has arguably the worst transfer or one of the worst transfers to rapid transit on the Bloor-Danforth SRT corridor. When you factor in the time it takes to get to Kennedy, 33 minutes increases to 48 to 53 minutes.
hey I dont mind st clairs lines and it sure looks like a lot of others agree. Add better stop spacing and its going to be significantly improved and faster. Also those above ground stops wont have 400m walks to get to them. Enjoy your crappier version of VMC at STC. It wont be the improvement you think its going to be and to make matters worse it'll cost more than you think. By the way I am an Eglinton resident awaiting my LRT with glee.

To add to what you and @AlvinofDiaspar have posted, the entire Network 2011 plan was predicated on significant commercial growth happening in suburban centers.

It never happened because businesses simply haven't had the want nor need to locate in those locations.

The Sheppard Line has been open for 16 years now. In that time the city has seen a massive commercial and residential construction boom. The Sheppard Line has seen relatively little of that growth, despite being a full fledged underground subway.

Just like Scarborough didn't experience a boom in the 80s despite the opening of a new subway station and the RT.

This is why early subway construction in Toronto was based on actual ridership and real world demand. The Yonge Streetcar was maxed out before they decided a subway was necessary. Bloor had the city's busiest streetcar route. Moving away from that sensible approach has led to the current predicament we're in.

We know for a fact that the SSE and Sheppard extension won't justify their ridership for probably a few lifetimes at the very least. If they decided to turn the Crosstown East into a line that goes up to Malvern, loops back to the STC and then down to Kennedy, it would transform inter-Scarborough travel and provide reliable transfer free access to the Yonge Line for generations.

Instead, vanity based planning is leading to blowing all of the budget on one single stop that does nothing to address inter Scarborough travel nor does it have any real impact on regional transit into the city.
It's a full fledged line, but it's also a stub. Nothing more than a shuttle between Don Mills and Yonge, with very few regular surface routes feeding into it. That's why there will be limited growth. In fact it should be named Line 1A.

It's a full fledged line, but it's also a stub. Nothing more than a shuttle between Don Mills and Yonge, with very few regular surface routes feeding into it. That's why there will be limited growth. In fact itt should be named Line 1A.
Doesnt change the fact that it was an additional subway leading people to yonge and sheppard which I am sure without google has seen office space stagnant if not decline over the last 2 decades. A ton of new condos and very little if any office space.

Reactions: syn
Doesnt change the fact that it was an additional subway leading people to yonge and sheppard which I am sure without google has seen office space stagnant if not decline over the last 2 decades. A ton of new condos and very little if any office space.
There are of course multiple factors into why and how that happened - the early 90s slump, amalgamation, and other politics issues.

There are of course multiple factors into why and how that happened - the early 90s slump, amalgamation, and other politics issues.
what is the excuse for the last decade which has seen an office boom basically exclusively downtown? I dont know the names of all the buildings at the top of my head but there are three across from Trump, a new RBC, a new Telus.... all downtown

hey I dont mind st clairs lines and it sure looks like a lot of others agree. Add better stop spacing and its going to be significantly improved and faster. Also those above ground stops wont have 400m walks to get to them. Enjoy your crappier version of VMC at STC. It wont be the improvement you think its going to be and to make matters worse it'll cost more than you think. By the way I am an Eglinton resident awaiting my LRT with glee.

I don't mind St. Clair either, I love the streetcar system. However, the model they're using for Eglinton should not be something to model Rapid Transit on, especially in a busy area there. Like I said, simple fixes like removing some stops, adding gates, and fences would make a huge difference in what is perceived to be grade separation. Yes, it might be somewhat divisive, but again, this is Eglinton Avenue, not St. Clair. St Clair should be the model for the majority of streetcar lines, not for LRT lines in this city.

Again, I support a Scarborough subway, but I also want it to be built right. There are far too many people in Scarborough to be served by one LRT in the long term.

Back