Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

The Weston Family could've put their name on this town, like Mirvish has with vastly less wealth, by helping this block evolve into something spectacular.
1BE + 1BW + and the "Weston Complex". It could've been a formidable mid-town triple threat. Too bad when old money becomes obstinate money...

BTW, any chance Allies Morrison gets resurrected?

Any info, background would be appreciated - from anyone. Even if completely false.

The Weston Family could've put their name on this town, like Mirvish has with vastly less wealth, by helping this block evolve into something spectacular.
1BE + 1BW + and the "Weston Complex". It could've been a formidable mid-town triple threat. Too bad when old money becomes obstinate money...

The Weston name is already all over this town, and its influence far exceeds that of Mirvish. It's just...quieter about it.

BTW, any chance Allies Morrison gets resurrected?

Any info, background would be appreciated - from anyone. Even if completely false.

No - as far as I recall the project included 60 Bloor West (which is now currently being reclad). It also included the parking garage on Cumberland which is currently being demo'd for 33 Yorkville.

Heard it described as "The Well on steroids"

No - as far as I recall the project included 60 Bloor West (which is now currently being reclad). It also included the parking garage on Cumberland which is currently being demo'd for 33 Yorkville.

Heard it described as "The Well on steroids"
Essentially, yes. There was a ton of retail and a few *very* tall buildings.

Remember that there were 4 entrants: KPF, Safdie, Grimshaw and Allies & Morrison (who won). Some visions were more 'pie-in-the-sky' than others. Allies was excellent and, along with Grimshaw, was the most buildable.

All that said, it was always more of a visioning exercise than an effort to develop something to construct. From the start it involved properties that the proponent didn't own and built on things which already had existing approvals in place.

So how can we get a look at this, visioning exercise. Someone at G&M had described it as more than that, that the city had knocked heads together.

I would ask Skeesix to track this down but he's already researching something for me, though I cant remember what exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how can we get a look at this, visioning exercise. Someone at G&M had described it as more than that, that the city had knocked heads together.

I would ask Skeesix to track this down but he's already researching something for me, though I cant remember what exactly.
Maybe it will be in a future Unbuilt Toronto?

WTF?

I don't know about that. There's been plenty of missed opportunities in the public realm.

True, but Bloor, Yorkville is a critically important part of the city. The project would've had an out-sized impact for that reason.

I'm not sure why Holts decided being on the corner wasn't appealing but it wouldn't be the first baffling thing Holts did. So with the winning design nixed where does that leave things?

Back