Toronto Scotiabank North Tower at Bay Adelaide Centre | 140.2m | 32s | Brookfield | KPMB

So, that’s 10 office buildings underway or approved

- Commerce court 3
- the Hub
- the Well
- The LCBO building
- CIBC Square 1
- CIBC Square 2
- 16 YORK
- 160 Front
- Union Centre
- Bay Adelaide North

Is this for real?

(Not to mention the addition to the Toronto Star building)

Not bad, that's approximately 12 million sq. ft. of new office space to hit the market in the next 3-7 years,
it should stabilize our low vacancy rates
also don't forget the already approved East Harbour development,
that alone has been proposed to have 12 million sq. ft. of office and work space.... haha, where is Amazon

Consolidated list of downtown office tower development projects actively under construction or in active pre-construction preparations:

Now Under Construction - listed in order of relative progress:
1. 16 York
2. CIBC Square 1
3. The Well Office Tower
4. LCBO Building
5. Waterfront Innovation Centre (Parking lot fenced, shoring machine on site)
6. Bay Adelaide North (Concourse level Food Court demolition underway - tower construction to start)
7. 65 King Street East (Parking lot closed and fenced, trailer on site, laneway closure approved)

Committed, Pre-Construction Activities Underway:
8. 160 Front Street West
9. The Hub
10. CIBC Square 2

Announced:
11. Union Centre (Zoning approval in place, looking for lead tenant)
12. Commerce Court 3 (Preliminary design concepts announced - City planning approval process started?)

Suggestions, corrections, and in particular, any additions to this list are welcome

Is the HUB really as committed as 160 Front or CIBC Square 2?

The Hub submitted their complete development application in February and held community consultations in June, now in the re-submission phase.. so I'd argue they're ahead of either 160 Front or CIBC Square 2.

The Hub submitted their complete development application in February and held community consultations in June, now in the re-submission phase.. so I'd argue they're ahead of either 160 Front or CIBC Square 2.
Developers of 160 Front and CIBC Square 2 pretty much set dates for construction to start.
I can't say the same about the HUB.

160 Front and CIBC 2 have already received city approval; and CIBC 2 has to wait for GO to vacate the existing bus terminal before construction.

AoD

Last edited:
It's not a ground up build but, the BMO office is a big conversion of the former Eatons department store.

It's not a ground up build but, the BMO office is a big conversion of the former Eatons department store.
It's not really new build though - it's a conversion of the sears office space. I would consider it a heavy renovation, it isn't really adding new space. Mind you, Sears severely underutilized its space.. so it will significantly intensify the amount of office employees there..

If I remember correctly CC3 recently announced a tenant that has committed a few hundred thousand square feet with others actively in the pipeline. The talk from the developers seems to suggest they are all very committed to building these towers. CIBC 1 and 2 are going ahead, they are both fully leased. 160 Front has a tenant and the developer is starting construction in January. Bay Adelaide N is also going ahead with a lead tenant announced. The HUB hasn't announced any tenants yet, but the developer has mentioned they plan to go ahead on spec. We can take that for whatever it's worth. Union Center is looking for tenants but no date announced.

It's not really new build though - it's a conversion of the sears office space. I would consider it a heavy renovation, it isn't really adding new space. Mind you, Sears severely underutilized its space.. so it will significantly intensify the amount of office employees there..

That's fine.

To add. It was offices thrown together in a department store. They didn't spend the money to better utilize the square footage as office.

People here know the difference between a crane on a flatbed truck and a crane anchored to a growing structure. These numbers are obviously wrong.

Back