1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 815     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Riverdale

Pots And Pans (formerly Village Pie) has already closed on Danforth at Hampton
All Star Sports bar on Danforth at Arundel has closed
Hone Fitness will be opening up in the Canadian Tire Express on Danforth at Gough
Also, a kick-boxing gym will be opening up next to the OrangeTheory Fitness on Danforth near Chester

I noticed the fitness club going into the old Canadian Tire Express space on the weekend. Are fitness club boutiques the next wave hitting the Danforth? (remember the frozen yogurt wave a few years back?) Better than nail salons.

ETA: Sorry Village Pie disappeared, and got replaced by something that didn't even last three months.

Pots and Pans always looked like a ripoff of Athens restaurant just east of Pape. That type of Greek restaurant is more likely to succeed around the corner in Pape Village these days. The others survive and thrive because they have been there forever and are institutions on the strip, they also have gimmicks like live music and events as well.

What used to be the Sports Cafe on Danforth north side, just west of Pape, beside the church is now a new Asian fusion restaurant called Simple Fresh. Passed by it yesterday and spoke with the owner, Daniel. Very pleasant guy and the menu looks great. Real authentic Cantonese / Thai mix food. I'm going to definitely try it this weekend. They are also on Uber Eats too. I'm pretty excited about it.. been waiting for a good Chinese place on the main strip.

What used to be the Sports Cafe on Danforth north side, just west of Pape, beside the church is now a new Asian fusion restaurant called Simple Fresh. Passed by it yesterday and spoke with the owner, Daniel. Very pleasant guy and the menu looks great. Real authentic Cantonese / Thai mix food. I'm going to definitely try it this weekend. They are also on Uber Eats too. I'm pretty excited about it.. been waiting for a good Chinese place on the main strip.

Thanks for the reminder. I noticed it the other day and completely forgot about it.

New restaurant named Wynona is opening at 819 Gerrard Street East, near the southeast corner of Gerrard and Logan. It is sandwiched between Mad Dog Cafe and the I-assume-it-will-open-soon Kid Chocolate, and is across the street from the Beer Store/proposed Grid condos.

We went to Wynona for the first time last night. Room was nice, service was excellent, food was delicious. They also have a nice patio, although we happen to have sat inside. Would recommend it.

Ouzeri will be now known as Soulas modern Greek cuisine, expected to open in a week or two. Had heard the space would be taken over by the owner of pan and the name Soula gives that away as i think thats the wife of the pan owner. Good luck to them.

Ouzeri will be now known as Soulas modern Greek cuisine, expected to open in a week or two. Had heard the space would be taken over by the owner of pan and the name Soula gives that away as i think thats the wife of the pan owner. Good luck to them.

What is modern Greek cuisine?

And yes, a sincere good luck to them. I will definitely give them a shot.

Poutine with Feta and soulvaki?

No, that's Quebecois Greek cuisine.

My fear is, if the menu strays way off the beaten souvlaki/gyros path, it will fail. We loved a place in the former Wimpy's-now-part-of-Messinis that was modern, with a unique menu but it was expensive and, ergo, not all that family friendly. It was far from the usual flaming cheese-pork-potatos-rice-salad combo everywhere else. (Lobster spaghetti!) Pan is not that unique and neither was Avli in that most of the offerings are/were familiar. I was hoping Anesti would be different but, aside from the occasional daily special, no.

No, that's Quebecois Greek cuisine.

My fear is, if the menu strays way off the beaten souvlaki/gyros path, it will fail. We loved a place in the former Wimpy's-now-part-of-Messinis that was modern, with a unique menu but it was expensive and, ergo, not all that family friendly. It was far from the usual flaming cheese-pork-potatos-rice-salad combo everywhere else. (Lobster spaghetti!) Pan is not that unique and neither was Avli in that most of the offerings are/were familiar. I was hoping Anesti would be different but, aside from the occasional daily special, no.

The other issue with Kritamos was that their focus was on fish. It even said "Greek Fish House" in big letters on their sign. I think that made it a harder sell than if they'd simply focused on trying to do a more interesting Greek menu, albeit one where seafood didn't predominate.

For those of you worried that the influx of boutique gyms and fitness centres on the Danforth would somehow slow, or even reverse, the steady growth of nail salons on the strip, worry not!! The space at 496 Danforth, previously occupied by Five O Seven Clothing (which seemed to have a multi-year going-out-of-business sale), will soon be occupied by a ... nail salon!! Whew!

Five O Seven clothing had a great run, would have been there almost 20 years. Were whispers when they closed in April that they may consider opening again along pape (standard trend for independent Greek businesses these days).

As for whats replacing it....

A few more changes on Danforth..

Soula's is now open in the old Ouzeri spot
Harvest Nature supermarket has opened up in the old Pretty Thingz spot
Mo Mo Hut Gardens has opened in the old Brigantino's spot
Nacho Bar has opened up in the old Nomads spot

Le Revere has closed and Green Earth vegetarian is moving in from their location on Broadview
Bistro Normandie has closed but looks to be reopening as a different type of cafe/shop

Pan on Danforth was renovating when I walked by...not sure if something new is opening
Bobby's 1 hr Photo is closing after 34 years in that location..space is for lease

Back