Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

So when can we get shovels in the groud in by earliest?

This depends on the model chosen for the tender (assuming the EA is accepted by government).

If it's done Spadina style or even split like Eglinton, possibly within 24 months for start of excavation of the TBM deployment hole. I don't generally count prep work (moving sewers, gas lines, etc. out of the way) as construction for the same reason I don't count demolition of existing structures as construction.

If it's an AFP model tendered as a single package then it's still at least 40 months away (1 year to put together a tender, 1 year for bidders to evaluate it, + 1 year to ramp up and purchase tools like TBMs). That said, once it hits financial close (around 30 months) then it'll be finished even if we'd prefer it wasn't.

The giant question is will the next provincial budget contain funding for the DRL, or will the DRL be forced to wait for SSE to finish it's EA too (with additional stops).

Last edited:
I don't see washrooms in the basic schematics for the interchange stations. Are the just not penciled in at this stage of design, or am I missing them?

Looking at Pape, they don't seem to be contemplating leveling the upper concourse, or expanding it. I can't see how the station could handle that volume on that level or on the bus platform level without significantly more capacity.

Have the station plates changed at all since Steam Murno's article in April?

I can see the lack of people flow space from the platform to bus terminal at Pape. I noticed that it appears to look quite easy to add 2 more side platforms to Pape station, as the lower concourse and Line 2 levels don't seem to have much complexity.

Argh. I still can't believe Osgoode and Queen platforms are east of University and west of Yonge, respectively. ~425m. I guess both of them connecting directly to NPS isn't so bad though.

upload_2018-8-14_14-57-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-14_14-57-58.png
    upload_2018-8-14_14-57-58.png
    670 KB · Views: 697
Argh. I still can't believe Osgoode and Queen platforms are east of University and west of Yonge, respectively. ~425m. I guess both of them connecting directly to NPS isn't so bad though.

View attachment 153497
At this point, they should connect the concourses of both stations and have a grand underground entrance to City Hall. :D

Honestly, why do we need so many concourses? Is there some kind of fire code? I can't remember having such concourses in European subway stations, correct me if I'm wrong.

That's ~250 meters from the end of one platform to the beginning of the next. Compare with the next adjacent stations: ~850 meters to Sherbourne and ~820 meters to Spadina.

This is still an improvement over having a single station at the "psychological heart" of Toronto, but still seems like they're sacrificing transportation objectives for placemaking. Nathan Philips Square is a popular destination several days of the year but not enough to merit four subway stops, especially not compared to all the other potential destinations downtown.

I guess it's just coincidental that the people planning this subway placed entrances right at the doorsteps of where they work.

Also, do we really need all these concourse levels? There's a lot of vertical circulation which seems unnecessary, it would be much more convenient (and cheaper to construct) to only have a single flight between the DRL platforms and the line 1 platforms.

I also teased out this gem:
upload_2018-8-14_15-7-19.png

Amazing how the planning department has placed a subway in the same place that they've designated a surface transit route as a "heritage attribute" without seeing a contradiction.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-14_15-7-19.png
    upload_2018-8-14_15-7-19.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 531

Back