Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Taken just moments ago: The last piece of the south-facing crown has just been positioned on this ugly beast!

YC Condos - Construction - August 13, 2018.jpg

Attachments

• YC Condos - Construction - August 13, 2018.jpg
    YC Condos - Construction - August 13, 2018.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 531
From @AlexBozikovic's Aura article last year:

"Then there is the real thing, as at Aura, where the bottom levels are clumsily articulated in cheap windows and precast concrete. When I raised this with Mr. Graziani, he actually laughed. "That's the rendering," he said. "… And in Toronto you build to a budget."

Funny that Barry seems resigned to create the garbage he / they do. Interesting that this happens only rarely with some firms, yet with others, it's standard practice.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-lesson-for-toronto-planners/article33621784/

Last edited:
From @AlexBozikovic's Aura article last year:

"Then there is the real thing, as at Aura, where the bottom levels are clumsily articulated in cheap windows and precast concrete. When I raised this with Mr. Graziani, he actually laughed. "That's the rendering," he said. "… And in Toronto you build to a budget."

Funny that Barry seems resigned to create the garbage he / they do. Funny that this happens only rarely with some firms, yet with others, it's standard practice.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-lesson-for-toronto-planners/article33621784/
At bottom I rarely buy the rationale that budget determines architectural quality. I use 'determines' strongly here. For no matter how big your budget, if you don't have an eye for design you'll never build something tasteful. And the converse is arguably also true: if you have an eye for design, then you'll build something tasteful almost regardless of your budget.

There are so many projects in the city built on a budget to a much higher degree of refinement and style. I simply can't buy his argument...What makes it even worse is they are getting all these tall prominent towers and putting absolutely no care into what's designed/built.

There are so many projects in the city built on a budget to a much higher degree of refinement and style. I simply can't buy his argument...What makes it even worse is they are getting all these tall prominent towers and putting absolutely no care into what's designed/built.
Are you privy to all budgets of private developments in the city? please share

Money is one thing, but you do need to have both an architect and a developer who care about taking the time to work through the issues to get a quality product. Fundamentally, if you're hiring G+C, you're not in that camp. This is the physical manifestation of capital extraction ('If I spend time or money here, that's time or money *I don't then have*').

And I'll say that in person, Barry's a really nice guy (which makes it somewhat difficult to hate what his firm consistently passes off as 'design')!

Are you privy to all budgets of private developments in the city? please share

Don't think it requires being present in every meeting to see that much better projects have come from likely similar budgets. To assume that this looks like such a mess because "money was tight" is ridiculous. It's just poor design and poor understanding of how materials work together. Typical for Graziani and Corazza.

That's interesting. They didn't install steel framing before putting up the "terracotta" glazing on the north side. I wonder if we're about to see a different glazing solution on the Yonge side?

Part of me really wants to see something other than what they used on the north side, but part of me is also leery about the mishmash that's already there on the podium.

Back