News   Apr 19, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 546     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 912     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I know I've quoted this prior, but it's more relevant than ever.

From the 'Co-Caine Mutiny': (Where the synapses confuse the syntaxes for "sin taxes" and Strawberries are for Dippers)
  • He was no different from any other officer in the ward room, they were all disloyal. I tried to run the ship properly, by the book, but they fought me at every turn. The crew wanted to walk around with their shirt tails hanging out, that's all right, let them. Take the tow line, defective equipment, no more, no less. But they encouraged the crew to go around scoffing at me, and spreading wild rumors about steaming in circles, and then old yellow-strain. I was to blame for Lt. Maryk's incompetence and poor seamanship. Lt. Maryk was the perfect officer, but not Captain Queeg.
    Ah, but the strawberries, that's, that's where I had them, they laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, with geometric logic, that a duplicate key to the ward room icebox did exist, and I've had produced that key if they hadn't pulled the Caine out of action. I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officer. [He pauses - looked at all the questioning faces that stared back at him, and realizes that he has been ranting and raving] Naturally, I can only cover these things from memory. If I left anything out, why, just ask me specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them, one by one.

Last edited:
Like I've been saying, I think this would be the idea outcome. 47 Councillors is too unwieldy without party politics- delegating local issues may be better for the city in the long run.

How the Tories’ move to shrink Toronto council could be turned on its head
The province’s move to slash Toronto’s local representation could be turned on its head by city council, which experts say has the power to change how it governs without Queen’s Park’s approval.

That means council could adopt a two-tier system like the one in Los Angeles, with 97 neighbourhood councils, or in New York City, with 59 community boards.
https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...onto-council-could-be-turned-on-its-head.html

It's amazing that Toronto has gone from having the Metro system, universally praised as a model of civic democracy, to trying to find some legal way to at least match the representation citizens get in NYC and LA.

The City could go along with the 25 wards, but have 2 councillors per ward, one for the City Council and one for the Community Council, replicating the old City and Metro Council set up.
They can’t all sit in council together. The legislation specifically forbids changing the number of councillors per ward.

It would make more sense to elect two community councillors per ward so that coverage is improved. A 1:1 relationship with different responsibilities would be confusing.

Straight out of Harper’s playbook. The war against elitist scientific evidence continues, and lives are on the line:

CBC | Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott puts 3 overdose prevention sites on hold

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-holding-off-overdose-prevention-sites-1.4783592

This isn't about "elitist scientific evidence" but a foolish morality play. It's the foolishness of the War on Drugs. Nothing has changed. Hell, our new marijuana laws are a prudish mess based in moral panic. Can't smoke in public? *slow clap*

What's a few dead crackheads as long as we stand for what's "right"?

I said it before: friggin pigs. Buck-a-beer, but opiate users can die in the streets and kids can have their lives ruined for carrying mushrooms. Kafka called, he wants us to piss off with the absurdity already.

Straight out of Harper’s playbook. The war against elitist scientific evidence continues, and lives are on the line:

CBC | Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott puts 3 overdose prevention sites on hold

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-holding-off-overdose-prevention-sites-1.4783592

Disappointing, though not unexpected.

What I'm left wondering is how many of the controversial announcements are some variation of sincere (however deluded) vs. how much much is 'meat for the base' that will be made to quietly disappear within a year.

I don't doubt some fall into each category but how much and which is ever more perilous to predict.

Last edited:
Disappointing, though not unexpected.

What I'm left wondering is how many of the controversial announcements are some variation of sincere (however deluded) vs. how much much is 'meat for the base' that will be quietly made to disappear within a year.

I don't doubt some fall into each category but how much and which is ever more perilous to predict.

I like your optimism.

It's all "meat for the base" and sincere as far as I can tell. If it's all just pandering to stupidity then it's even more abhorrent behaviour than it would be otherwise.

VOTES not seats. You guys and the big word like disingenuous, where have I heard this before? I remember Doug during his dismal tenure at city hall was full of disingenuousness, and sure Old Toronto who gave Doug the Dollerama Beer King the seats is also the area that drinks the kool-aid that keeps Mammoliti, Ford, Holiday etc on council. BTW before you start assuming I am an NDP-er, sorry to disappoint you, I hold no membership, however I know what's needed for this city.

You care about votes when it fits the narrative.

What about when Wynne won with 39% of the vote?

When Trudeau won with 39% of the vote and said he won't allow this system again.

People only bitch about FPTP when there guy does not win.

Progresisves say they will change the system and then get corrupted by the allure of power themselves. Change the system and you would not have Ford.

Last edited:
You care about votes when it fits the narrative.

What about when Wynne won with 39% of the vote?

When Trudeau won with 39% of the vote and said he won't allow this system again.

People only bitch about FPTP when there guy does not win.

Progresisves say they will change the system and then get corrupted by the allure of power themselves. Change the system and you would not have Ford.

There you go again, assuming I agree with the Liberals and their policies. Yes votes, Ford was not wanted in Toronto, we knew what he was all about. Having cleared that up, current voting system needs to be overhauled, for sure. So tell me are you really satisfied with Herr Ford and his tax paid clapping seals and how he refuses to answer questions? Has he cancelled any programs that you counted on, no? Just wait his policies will affect you sooner or later... I hear voters remorse rumbling.

The Ontario government is sticking a $200 million dollar bill to Ottawa. This is actually one of the few instances that I think they're right- the Trudeau government has essentially abdicated its responsibility to pay for migrant care. We'll see whether or not the Trudeau government chooses to play ball, or if the Ford Conservatives will need to tighten the bolts.

MacLeod renews demand of $200 million from feds for cost of migrants
Lisa MacLeod, Ontario’s minister tasked with immigration, says the federal government’s offer of $11 million to Toronto to help cover some of the costs of irregular migration is a “drop in the bucket.”
The federal government has promised $50 million in total to Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba to deal with the spike in asylum seekers crossing the Canada-U.S. border irregularly. Of that, Quebec will receive $36 million.
MacLeod, who is the province’s children, community and social services minister, has asked for the federal government to give $74 million to the City of Toronto, $3 million to the Red Cross and other organizations supporting refugee claimants who stayed in college dorms this summer and $12 million to the City of Ottawa. She also wants to see $90 million in social assistance and $20 million for primary and secondary education spaces.
https://ipolitics.ca/2018/08/13/macleod-renews-demand-of-200-million-from-feds-for-cost-of-migrants/

Back