News   Apr 19, 2024
 80     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 742     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.2K     2 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

"We want to make transit and life more affordable, and under Doug Ford it will be!"
What does this actually mean then? If reducing fares to $3 may not be the plan, then would making the $5.30 FIXED (no zoned fares) be the solution they'll be proposing? With the huge loss for long distance trips, but (probably) gain for short distance trips, would this even work out?

They'll have to do the math on what saves their 905 and outer 416 MPPs. I still foresee some work. Not full RER. But some kind of expanded GO service. SmartTrack is interesting. If they don't help Tory and if Keesmat gets elected, a lot of their 416 MPPs are going to be under pressure.

Transcript from today's exchange via Ben Spurr:

2nlQBoC

The $3 GO sounded great but there was no never even a plan aside from the slogan to by votes by the Liberals? This would have required greater review and caused a chain reaction of demands for lower fares in to the 905 or flooded Toronto stops. Id love to see lower GO fares but where the heck were the calls and implementation for this over the last decade? If all the Conservative do is complete the RER infrastructure that will be great. The next Left party in office can be reminded of their $3 promise

^ I believe at the time they noted cap and trade revenue would be used to help with the $3/$6 fare reduction. We all know what's happened to that revenue since then. What I don't remember seeing is the actual "cost" or "revenue" required to fund this promise. Anyone else know?

^The $3 promise first appeared in the 2018 budget that the Wynne government brought down in April. The fare subsidy was to be funded from the Climate Change Action Plan.

I haven’t found any direct statement of cost. That budget document was an election pitch - cost being no concern - and the numbers aren’t all that granular.

I doubt there was ever a rigourous cost figure released.

- Paul

^^ I disagree.

You guys are forgetting that there is a new player in town, Ottawa. Ottawa is finally ponying up some hardcore mega-bucks for infrastructure much of it being geared strictly towards public transit and has raised it's maximum contribution from 33% to 40%.
Even Ford would have a very hard time refusing such Ottawa largess and the wrath of local MPs who promised their constituents that transit relief was on the way.

That huge money from Ottawa makes for not only a lot of jobs which is essential for Ontario with the potential devastating effects of a auto tariff looming on the horizon but also makes for a flurry of ribbon cutting ceremonies before the next election. Also if Ontario refuses the money, Ottawa could simply divide Ontario's portion to the other provinces which Ontarians would be absolutely furious about and lay the blame right at Ford's front door. Even Ford would never chance just a scenario as the political backlash from all demographics would be devastating.

While the idea of emus has merit as camels have proven themselves to be effective and efficient mass transit in the Middle East for centuries, it wouldn't be practical. While the technology is proven it would take Metrolinx a decade to determine the proper platform heights to accommodate the emus. and to determine which emus would be express and which would be provide local service. The emus are also proprietary so any new platforms would also have to be designed to accommodate future ostrich technology so Metrolinx wouldn't be at the mercy of a single supplier from NZ. Also it would be very expensive as Scarborough would demand all new emu tunnels for fairness and respect.

Last edited:
While the idea of emus has merit as camels have proven themselves to be effective and efficient mass transit in the Middle East for centuries, it wouldn't be practical. While the technology is proven it would take Metrolinx a decade to determine the proper platform heights to accommodate the emus. and to determine which emus would be express and which would be provide local service. The emus are also proprietary so any new platforms would also have to be designed to accommodate future ostrich technology so Metrolinx wouldn't be at the mercy of a single supplier from NZ. Also it would be very expensive as Scarborough would demand all new emu tunnels for fairness and respect.

Be careful. Doug Ford and his cabinet may actually believe what you wrote down.

Well if history is repeated, Ford's win in Ontario is nothing but great news for Trudeau. Since the end of WWII, Ontario has had a flawless record of voting in the opposite party of who is reigning at Queen's Park.

Anyway it is a legal document that both governments sign. Note how I said governments not political parties. If the infrastructure deal is signed between QP & Ottawa, it is a binding contract regardless of which parties signed it.

Back