News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 639     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Except...the city of Vaughan is not responsible for YRT.
It should go to the regional municipality of York instead
The last paragraph:
My aim with this petition is to get enough signatures that the region of vaughan, region of york, and the YRT itself, has no choice but to acknowledge the suffering of us passengers, and fix their blatant lack of care towards us.
But your comment still stands. The main address to should be the Regional Municipality of York and York Region Transit. Vaughan is probably just where the person lives.

The last paragraph:

But your comment still stands. The main address to should be the Regional Municipality of York and York Region Transit. Vaughan is probably just where the person lives.
Suffering seems to be quite an overly strong descriptor. It's not like they are torturing them or depriving them of the neccesities of life.
Is yrt seriously that bad where it would warrant such a complaint?

The last paragraph:

This just goes to show how clueless people are about the structure of municipal politics in the 905. If this were the former Metro, people would know they're supposed to contact the TTC itself.

Now that I'm using Viva Orange daily and travelling along Hwy 7 in Vaughan, I thought I'd share some anecdotal observations.

-Ridership on Orange has increased since it was extended to RHC.
-A fair number of passengers get on at VMC for both directions (excluding ZUM, which also gets a very good ridership).
-I never truly grasped the necessity of the wide 6 lanes of Hwy 7 + Viva lanes until a few weeks ago when I watched a few 18-wheelers having to make a U-turn at Keele to reach a delivery destination. Now I understand why the street design is as wide as it is. You guys can argue all you want about the expansiveness of Hwy 7 but the street width is just barely enough for a truck to complete a full U-turn and it shouldn't be forgotten that Concord is still mainly industrial.

Now that I'm using Viva Orange daily and travelling along Hwy 7 in Vaughan, I thought I'd share some anecdotal observations.

-Ridership on Orange has increased since it was extended to RHC.
-A fair number of passengers get on at VMC for both directions (excluding ZUM, which also gets a very good ridership).
-I never truly grasped the necessity of the wide 6 lanes of Hwy 7 + Viva lanes until a few weeks ago when I watched a few 18-wheelers having to make a U-turn at Keele to reach a delivery destination. Now I understand why the street design is as wide as it is. You guys can argue all you want about the expansiveness of Hwy 7 but the street width is just barely enough for a truck to complete a full U-turn and it shouldn't be forgotten that Concord is still mainly industrial.

But Viva Orange's ridership is cannabalized by Zum, YRT Route 77, and on weekdays, Viva Purple. Otherwise ridership would be much higher.

I cross-posted this to the TYSEE thread, but since it deals with YRT/Viva service, it's appropriate.

York Region Transit announced that it is pulling out of York University as of September 2.

They're telling their passengers that only five routes - Route 3 - Thornhill, Route 20 - Jane, Route 96 - Keele-Yonge, Route 107/107B - Keele, and Route 165/165F - Weston will serve the Pioneer Village Station, and you'll have to walk across Steeles and into the campus to avoid a double fare. That's a long walk from the old bus stops near the York Lanes and Ontario Archives.

Viva purple will be cut back to the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal - they're told to transfer at Richmond Hill Centre to Viva Orange, and then transfer to a YRT bus or pay a TTC fare at VMC to get to campus.

It's a failure of the subway to actually make it easier to get to campus from York Region, a failure of York Region Transit, which is cutting back service (the Viva Purple, which used to go to campus), and regional transit coordination in general.

The shortened Viva Purple route will operate with these frequencies:
  • Early morning - approximately 13 minutes
  • Morning rush hour - approximately 10 minutes
  • Midday - approximately 14 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour - approximately 11 minutes
  • Early Evening - approximately 20 minutes
  • Late Evening - approximately 18 minutes
With service levels like that, why bother building busways?

It's a failure of the subway to actually make it easier to get to campus from York Region, a failure of York Region Transit, which is cutting back service (the Viva Purple, which used to go to campus), and regional transit coordination in general.

YRT isn't allowed to run service anywhere in Toronto unless the TTC lets them. The problem here is that the new agreement between the two agencies bans YRT from running buses into York University, but doesn't require the TTC to get YRT passengers onto campus with their YRT fare. Go Transit has the same problem which is why the York U station is still being used.

YRT isn't allowed to run service anywhere in Toronto unless the TTC lets them. The problem here is that the new agreement between the two agencies bans YRT from running buses into York University, but doesn't require the TTC to get YRT passengers onto campus with their YRT fare. Go Transit has the same problem which is why the York U station is still being used.

I guess the whole issue is really just a petty argument over revenue. Same thing for yrt south of Steelers. Not allowed to pick up going south and drop off going north.

Metrolinx really just ought to take over all gta operations and just divide it by regional zones. Or they make it easier by just dropping these petty disputes which are nickels and dimes in the grand scheme

In the original 2018 plan, they wanted a new 100 Route to replaced Viva Purple from RHC to YorkU, but they decided to go to a weekday only Viva Purple service to YorkU (which was a better idea but a bit confusing), and now they're removing any direct service from RHC to YorkU? Why couldn't they run a route that went from RHC to Pioneer Village Terminal via Highway 407 during weekdays? I guess it wouldn't be cost effective.
upload_2018-8-7_14-34-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-7_14-34-23.png
    upload_2018-8-7_14-34-23.png
    762.7 KB · Views: 1,008
I guess the whole issue is really just a petty argument over revenue. Same thing for yrt south of Steelers. Not allowed to pick up going south and drop off going north.

Metrolinx really just ought to take over all gta operations and just divide it by regional zones. Or they make it easier by just dropping these petty disputes which are nickels and dimes in the grand scheme
exactly! Stupid man made barriers!

In the original 2018 plan, they wanted a new 100 Route to replaced Viva Purple from RHC to YorkU, but they decided to go to a weekday only Viva Purple service to YorkU (which was a better idea but a bit confusing), and now they're removing any direct service from RHC to YorkU? Why couldn't they run a route that went from RHC to Pioneer Village Terminal via Highway 407 during weekdays? I guess it wouldn't be cost effective.
View attachment 152726
I guess perhaps they couldn't come to a deal with the ttc....typical....

Back