News   Apr 19, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9K     2 

What's the future for the NDP?

Burnaby? hahaha, what the......

Dude was like, "Starts with a B as well, what could be different?".

Well, best of luck, bud.

Mulcair's seat is also up for grabs soon. The NDP isn't super popular in Quebec at the moment.

You kinda think that someone from a safe NDP seat would step down - if there is such a thing.?

In BC, I would think that safe NDP seats do exist. In Quebec though, not so much.

Hamilton Centre is a super safe NDP seat, and the incumbent David Christopherson announced he's retiring, but he's staying in until the next general election.

Well Singh isn't the first NDP leader to go to Burnaby in order to get a seat. Tommy Douglas also represented Burnaby in the House of Commons in the 1960s.

Name some "safe" NDP seats in the upcoming election. The only safe MP I can think of is Brosseau.

In *Canada*?!?

Given the constant straits the party's been in in Quebec, I doubt even Brosseau is immune. (And even in terms of Quebec, I'd suggest someone like Alexandre Boulerice might be, relatively speaking, safer on party-clout and natural-constituency grounds.)

In fact, if I were to pick only *one*, it'd probably be Jenny Kwan in Vancouver East--if only because that's among the unlikeliest to go Conservative, and it's unlikely to go Liberal under their present stink, and it's unlikely to go Green unless Green suddenly PEI's itself into a "Preston Manning 1993" 50-seat viable option all of a sudden...

Last edited:
I wonder if Notley would be a good pick for a federal NDP (in terms of future hypotheticals)?

The Alberta NDP is nothing like the federal party, or even the BC version. I do like her though.
Yes- the Alberta NDP is far more of a traditional social-left party, which I feel would actually have far more appeal to the average Canadian than the current federal NDP.

I think Notley would be an excellent candidate if she can ever get in.

Did not know about this- does this forebode further issues with the way the NDP are currently headed?

Jagmeet Singh ‘not at all’ worried whether losing a quarter of incumbents reflects leadership
A baker’s dozen worth of NDP MPs have said over the past year that they will not run again in the fall election.

But NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he isn’t worried about whether that could be a reflection on his leadership style.

He was also asked about the party’s prospects in the fall election, given the loss so far of 13 NDP MPs, all of whom have said they won’t be running again. It’s a number that includes a number of high-profile party veterans.

Back