News   Apr 25, 2024
 126     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 384     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

East Bayfront, the top picture is from today. the second picture is from May 2007, both picture taken from my balcony;
As much as I like some of the new development I think I like my old view better. :)

East Bayfront- Aug 2018.JPG
East Bayfront-May 2007.jpg

Attachments

• East Bayfront- Aug 2018.JPG
    East Bayfront- Aug 2018.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 944
  • East Bayfront-May 2007.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 973
East Bayfront, the top picture is from today. the second picture is from May 2007, both picture taken from my balcony;
As much as I like some of the new development I think I like my old view better. :)

View attachment 152545 View attachment 152546 View attachment 152546

I have to say, I think in the older pics the view of the highway and the ugly plastic dome(s) is predominant.

I actually have sympathy over the perhaps complete loss of Lake view in a few years, but as it stands today, a blend of lake view that now features towers in place of domes and under-utilized pseudo-industrial space, where the highway is a less dominant and more accenting feature I do think is an an interim improvement.

Of course I also favour prescriptive planning of key view corridors.............

It's bizarre how many people prefer views of desolate industrial brownfields and parking lots compared to hopping mixed-use neighbourhoods.

It's bizarre how many people prefer views of desolate industrial brownfields and parking lots compared to hopping mixed-use neighbourhoods.

There is a massive fear of change in some quarters in this city. Better the devil you know. And there is also an empty-headed, knee-jerk negative reaction to condos ("not another condo - whine"), regardless of whether the residential building(s) in question is a condo or not, such that some people seem to think the existing cr*p is better. Also, way too many people are under the false impression that the city could just lay down sod here, and turn the entire precinct into a lovely park - why worry about contamination and ownership issues (just to name two of many issues)?

Can you blame people for not wanting more condos when most people I talk to seem to hate much of the grey, glass boxes popping up around them? Even the tourists I show around Toronto make negative comments about condos, so it seems to be a common theme for everyone. Everybody I know who lives downtown complain about condos on a regular basis.

A key element of this is asking what people 'don't like' about condos? Design? Scale? Retail / street-level animation?

It's hard to find solutions when the problem(s) is / are boiled down to 'everyone complains about this thing'.

I'd here that refrain from many when I lived in a condo and King and Church. What it generally boiled down to was they didn't want more people in the area. Too much density, too much traffic, too tall etc. Kind of rich coming from people living in existing condos.

Can you blame people for not wanting more condos when most people I talk to seem to hate much of the grey, glass boxes popping up around them? Even the tourists I show around Toronto make negative comments about condos, so it seems to be a common theme for everyone. Everybody I know who lives downtown complain about condos on a regular basis.

Yes, I can. It's a stupid complaint. Half the time, it's existing residents whining about newcomers to the neighbourhood. Their own building/house was apparently the last acceptable construction in the area. It boils down to a complaint about housing. Because if we don't build housing, that will solve our urban ills (rather than exacerbating them).

And why the heck do they think there are glass boxes popping up around them? In a city where so much of the land is designated and zoned to prevent anyone from building a glass box anywhere in that area? So are these people actually whining about condos going in an busy roads and higher-density areas? Are they really that delusional? Apparently so.

Yes, I can. It's a stupid complaint. Half the time, it's existing residents whining about newcomers to the neighbourhood. Their own building/house was apparently the last acceptable construction in the area. It boils down to a complaint about housing. Because if we don't build housing, that will solve our urban ills (rather than exacerbating them).

And why the heck do they think there are glass boxes popping up around them? In a city where so much of the land is designated and zoned to prevent anyone from building a glass box anywhere in that area? So are these people actually whining about condos going in an busy roads and higher-density areas? Are they really that delusional? Apparently so.

I agree w/what's being said here....BUT...

I do think while much of the criticism is of the stupid, narrow-minded and/or self-interested variety...........it's entirely possible to offer fair criticism as well.

It is possible to have substantial intensification and quality architecture.

It is possible to have condo towers (or mid-rise) yet preserve a more intimate streetwall/podium.

It is possible to have design variety and to preserve significant views.

We certainly can not nor should we imagine any one person's view as sacrosanct.

But neither should we fail to ask, in a City situated on one of the Great Lakes......shouldn't that view be available to more people?

By which I mean, having proper consideration for view corridors, most particularly at street level (there are plenty of obstructions (Gardiner/Railway etc.) in the case of our Lakefront......but that I would argue was past oversight......where better choices might have been made.

Such consideration might have no baring on the view of any one condo owner......and that's fine, but we do give too little attention to the City's relationship to the Lake.

Back