News   Sep 20, 2024
 4     0 
News   Sep 20, 2024
 308     0 
News   Sep 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Dump truck free time on DVP and QEW?

The issue here is we allow construction companies to take too long to build.

Building permits in the city should accompany a min number of crew on site at all time. And we should implement a maximum construction period before companies need to face fines.

Also construction hours should fill 100% of non noise restricted time slot. And that time slow should be 7AM to 8:30PM. Which means we should see crews on site 13.5 hours a day.

If staffing is an issue, then we should limit the max number of building permits approved at one time. To ensure that there are enough crew to meet the required construction speed.

Wow. Glad you have it figured out.

Some of these first world moans are just sad.

Let me just go to the shop that sells trained labour, BRB. Gotta speed things up here. 24hr construction except during those hours during which those who can't help but moan will do so.

Can we get office workers to piss off and work overnights so I can get a seat on a train?

Wow. Glad you have it figured out.

Some of these first world moans are just sad.

Let me just go to the shop that sells trained labour, BRB. Gotta speed things up here. 24hr construction except during those hours during which those who can't help but moan will do so.

Can we get office workers to piss off and work overnights so I can get a seat on a train?

A overly long contraction cycle isn’t a first world issue. Many developing countries can build much faster than we do.

Once again, trained labour would be less of an issue if we restrict the max number of projects that can be under construction at a time.

Someone apparently hasn't been a general contractor managing a slew of sub-trades. So a dig encounters unknown infrastructure/artifacts, a pour doesn't go as planned or the wind is too high for safe hoisting. It would be interesting to see how many companies would sign on to those terms. You would need a separate on-site trailer just for the lawyers.

Beijing can build a subway line in 4 years, and allows no trucks inside the city during daylight hours. I don’t see lawyer trailers there.

If the issue is sub trades not carrying out work properly, then maybe building permits should also require GCs to have full time employees.

I take the DVP north from Dundas to Hwy 401 each weekday morning. Over the last two years and especially recently the number of slow, lumbering dump trucks struggling to make it up the hills on the DVP have greatly increased. They can't keep up with traffic, causing long lines of otherwise well moving traffic and leading to idiot car drivers acting aggressively, and the trucks often breakdown or stop on the shoulder causing other blockages. Exact same thing is happening on the Gardiner.

Of course the trucks are needed for the construction of all the condos and Pam Am Games build. However, I suggest the dump trucks be kept off the North-bound (uphill) DVP and Gardiner from 7am to 9am. The rest of the day they can drive on these roads all they want.

Trucks belong on the DVP, and 401, would you rather they take residential streets instead?

Beijing can build a subway line in 4 years, and allows no trucks inside the city during daylight hours. I don’t see lawyer trailers there.
Being a communist absolute totalitarian regime helps to get things gone. You don't get a lawyer - that's no how things are done.

A overly long contraction cycle isn’t a first world issue. Many developing countries can build much faster than we do.

Oh no, this is most definitely some first world whinging and moaning. Life must be fucking tip top if we're moaning about dump trucks on highways.

Once again, trained labour would be less of an issue if we restrict the max number of projects that can be under construction at a time.

OK, so, we're moaning about things taking too long to build so we're going to restrict the number of builds allowed at any given time to speed things up. Right, that'll make it perfectly OK to have people working strenuous and dangerous jobs for more hours in a day than is healthy.
You didn't answer my question about office workers. Why can't they have restrictions put on their work hours? Send them to overnights and 15 hour days. Keep that rabble off my rush hour trains and roads. It's not as if they do much. I mean typing in a climate-controlled environment is pretty frigging easy. Boring and mind-numbing, yeah, but easy.

Get people who don't need to be driving off the highways and then you can come moan to me about dump trucks.

China is a piece of shit autocracy, they can force people to do anything. That's not something to emulate.

If the issue is sub trades not carrying out work properly, then maybe building permits should also require GCs to have full time employees.

GCs do have full time employees, of all sorts.

Lots of people don't carry out work properly in construction. Want to know why?

Because fools don't want to pay or wait for things to be done properly.

Oh no, this is most definitely some first world whinging and moaning. Life must be fucking tip top if we're moaning about dump trucks on highways.
Get people who don't need to be driving off the highways and then you can come moan to me about dump trucks.

I moan about dump trucks on highways (and surface roads). Not for the reasons as the OP in how they effect traffic. Sure they lumber and may have questionable drivers, but they're not as big as semis and imo vehicles that reduce others' speed is sort of a reality check. Slow and steady is sometimes more optimal than dangerously high-speed.

My whinging is for the damage they do to our roads. All those deep ruts and cracked, mushed in pavement isn't from John Q in a car or SUV for that matter. Maybe some semis and TTC buses. But for weight per axle the dump trucks are in a whole other ballpark. No question they do a lot of damage. I got a flat from a pothole, with a brand new tire (replaced from a previous pothole-related flat weeks earlier). Who caused that damaged road? Likely dump trucks.

Well, maybe it's more tangentially related, and the real culprit is the City for not building/maintaining better roads. But still, they're hefty, and driving behind them you have crap flying at you. Surely the least we can do is have a proper cover for their bed when loaded.

China is a piece of shit autocracy, they can force people to do anything. That's not something to emulate.

Vancouver built a 20km, multi-branched subway line in four years. Not sure how much it relates to the topic at hand, but whatever they're doing is worth emulating.

If you are worried about dump truck damage to roads and weight per axle limits, then you need to talk to the MTO. They are responsible for regulation and enforcement - hence weigh stations for trucks.

There was actually a dump truck protest on the 401 weigh stations in Milton last year (or maybe 2016) over this very issue. One of their issues is that when a truck goes to a gravel pit - they have zero control over the way it is loaded. They are not even allowed to exit the truck in the pit when being loaded.

Last edited:
Also - if we restrict the number of building permits to "build faster", then we will restrict supply and increase prices overall of construction end product. Simple as that.

Secondly, no one has proved that there are hundreds of empty construction sites around - where we are going so slowly or nothing is happening. Say what? In fact, I generally hear the opposite from the public. Everyone is always complaining that we build too fast, slap buildings up, cut corners, blah blah. So which is it?

If you are worried about dump truck damage to roads and weight per axle limits, then you need to talk to the MTO. They are responsible for regulation and enforcement - hence weigh stations for trucks.

There was actually a dump truck protest on the 401 weigh stations in Milton last year (or maybe 2016) over this very issue. One of their issues is that when a truck goes to a gravel pit - they have zero control over the way it is loaded. They are not even allowed to exit the truck in the pit when being loaded.

, for example.

Also - if we restrict the number of building permits to "build faster", then we will restrict supply and increase prices overall of construction end product. Simple as that.

Secondly, no one has proved that there are hundreds of empty construction sites around - where we are going so slowly or nothing is happening. Say what? In fact, I generally hear the opposite from the public. Everyone is always complaining that we build too fast, slap buildings up, cut corners, blah blah. So which is it?

Oh don't be like that....don't you know? When it comes to construction everyone wants cheap and quick but good quality. Bad maths, trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Not to mention, we're sometimes expected to forego rest time to keep going and get it done....yesterday. Why isn't this finished? Because it's minus fucking 30 out, you dick.

Oh, you know. ;)

And I can't even imagine how bad you guys have it....I work in custom residential primarily....it's a whole other, more human world, mostly.

Back