Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I find it hard to believe they didn't envision it lasting much beyond 30 years given its location.

It still has a lot of life - it just requires a major upgrade which is what has Rogers 'dragging their feet'. It'll cost at least a few hundred million to update - that's something they can't afford to screw up.

At that price they can just implode the stadium and rebuild it which is probably why they are thinking about it. A new stadium is around 500 Million to 1 Billion dollars.

At that price they can just implode the stadium and rebuild it which is probably why they are thinking about it. A new stadium is around 500 Million to 1 Billion dollars.

A new stadium in today's dollars with a retractable roof is going to be closer to a billion dollars - and that doesn't include the cost of demolition and cleanup at the current location. I think they'd much rather drop $200 million - $300 million on the current one.

In any case, I think we're discussing this in the wrong thread :)

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/rogers-centre-renovations.23794/page-41

Ther are some thoughts because of the deal that Rogers and Bell made with the Argos to bring them into MLSE that the Jays could be brought in next. The Jays aren't exactly an easy team to buy and sell as Rogers also owns the satdium so they are kind of a package deal.
I dont want to take this thread off-topic much further, but for clarity's sake, the MLB wont allow that to happen because they dont want teams to be owned by corporations any longer. The Jays and Mariners are grandfathered in as per the league's current unofficial policy.

Any other sports discussion should go to the various other appropriate threads.

I just noticed today that the eastern half of the "temporary ramps" in the entrance structure at the south Telus/MLS doors (think of the narrow concrete floored ramps with white walls that go up to VIA) is being demolished. It looks like the powers that be might be getting ready to shift passenger flows into the lower level retail soon enough.

Once the project is complete, passengers who enter the station from the south Telus/MLS doors will descend a flight of stairs to travel north in the new lower level retail under the VIA concourse. This wide retail corridor meets a main junction under the north end of VIA where you can go left for the escalators up to the York concourse, or right for escalators up to the Bay concourse or onward to the new corridor to the TTC, or straight ahead and up a flight of stairs that lead up to the area in between the two "exit" ramps from the VIA concourse and the retail "promenade" area under the great hall.

1) These are pictures from May 2016 showing construction progress on the new lower level (under VIA). The retail areas underneath the VIA and York concourses were roughed in sometime early 2016, and while mechanical work was still progressing the main corridors were now complete. This is looking north up the main north/south retail corridor in the new lower level, the picture was taken from the bottom of the stairs leading up to Telus/Maple Leaf Square.
DSC_0299a.jpg

2) From the same vantage point as the above but looking south this time you can see the new flight of stairs going up to the same grade as the Telus/MLS lobby. If you look closely in the background you can make out a red steel beam running over a plywood door, this red steel beam is part of the support structure for the temporary ramps that currently go up to the VIA level from Telus/MLS. The Telus/MLS lobby hallway concrete "box structure" and floor slabs were poured at the correct grade and are ready to be connected through to these stairs and the new retail.
DSC_0300a.jpg

3) Looking south through the plywood door in the above picture. This is underside of the floor slab for the "temporary" ramp from the Telus/MLS lobby leading up to the VIA concourse level. This is the lower ramp segment below the T intersection.
DSC_0348a.jpg

4) This is looking north from the main intersection of the east/west and north/south corridors in the new lower level retail. You can see the rebar which was ready for the stairs to be poured which will take passengers up to the retail area under the great hall. Effectively once done you will be able to enter the station at the Telus/MLS doors and be able to basically walk straight ahead (albeit with a few grade changes via stairs) right out to Front Street. Given that this picture dates back to May 2016 and the recent (early 2018) construction activity around the VIA exit ramps area I am willing to bet these stairs have since been poured and a new wall opening made on the promenade level between the VIA exit ramps. This would mean multiple entrances ready and that both the main north south corridor and the western half of the new lower retail could be ready to open some time before the Bay concourse.
DSC_0312a.jpg

5) The "You Are Here" key. Picture locations marked with red arrows.
Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 00.10.09 2.png

Attachments

• DSC_0299a.jpg
    DSC_0299a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 571
  • DSC_0300a.jpg
    DSC_0300a.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 584
  • DSC_0348a.jpg
    DSC_0348a.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC_0312a.jpg
    DSC_0312a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 522
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 00.10.09 2.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 00.10.09 2.png
    313.9 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Thats what ive been saying. I believe thie part opens up and the western side (leading to the york concourse) closes down for completion of that part of the station.

New report on Union Station reno progress is up at Government Management Ctte next week.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-117090.pdf

Roughly on target for substantial completion by Q1 2019, on (revised) budget.

However, there remain challenges.

Note that 'food court' opening appears to be delayed to fall 2018.

Bay Concourse will shift to Metrolinx for fit-out in Q1 2019 with opening date determined by them, post-fit out. (you can safely assume no sooner than Q3 2019)

New report on Union Station reno progress is up at Government Management Ctte next week.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-117090.pdf

Roughly on target for substantial completion by Q1 2019, on (revised) budget.

However, there remain challenges.

Note that 'food court' opening appears to be delayed to fall 2018.

Bay Concourse will shift to Metrolinx for fit-out in Q1 2019 with opening date determined by them, post-fit out. (you can safely assume no sooner than Q3 2019)

They’ve committed to targets they haven’t been able to meet for several years now, so for them to say a target is “at risk” is about the same as saying it’s not happening. When they have so many deliverables but can’t list even one due for completion immenently (i.e. Summer 2018), I wouldn’t take the Fall 2018 targets seriously.

I don’t know much about the construction industry, but I walk through Union daily, including weekends, and there simply doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity compared to corporate projects like CIBC Square or 16 York. This is when construction workers are and are not present. I could have told you they weren’t going to meet their previous targets in December, and I can tell you they won’t meet these targets today.

That eavestrough looks like the makings of a future homeless habitat. Nestled away, but exposed from below. I remember seeing Metric play outfront of Union back in 2010 and it was pretty packed. Would be neat to walk the concourse below and see crowds on the glass above.

They’ve committed to targets they haven’t been able to meet for several years now, so for them to say a target is “at risk” is about the same as saying it’s not happening. When they have so many deliverables but can’t list even one due for completion immenently (i.e. Summer 2018), I wouldn’t take the Fall 2018 targets seriously.

I don’t know much about the construction industry, but I walk through Union daily, including weekends, and there simply doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity compared to corporate projects like CIBC Square or 16 York. This is when construction workers are and are not present. I could have told you they weren’t going to meet their previous targets in December, and I can tell you they won’t meet these targets today.
Look who the General Contractor is, ""BONDFEILD"". They haven't completed a contract on time for years and only look to the Burlington GO Station thats still seeing work after 4+ years. Not sure if items are being replaced under warranty or outstanding work on Monday June 25th.

You have one of the best contractors on CIBC project and the other on 16 York St as PCL.

Back