Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

From Union this morning (taken at TTC station, but seen elsewhere). I really like the "Airport Train" and "National Rail" branding for UP and VIA. Now why don't they have "Regional Rail" for GO. Hmmmm.
VTBGhbD.jpg

Damnit, we need to bring back Domer the turtle.
I'm sure Rogers will divest itself of the Dome sooner rather than later. Just look at how they've been dragging their feet with the Rogers Centre's much needed renovations.

As for them renaming it, it's not going to happen unfortunately.

I'm sure Rogers will divest itself of the Dome sooner rather than later. Just look at how they've been dragging their feet with the Rogers Centre's much needed renovations.

Honestly, I think the stadium will be torn down and rebuilt eventually. It is already 33 years old and quickly outliving its lifespan. Unlike Wrigley Field or Fenway Park the stadium was never designed to last, it was designed to play baseball. No doubt once it hits 40 years old people will start asking to replace it with something more modern which is likely why Rogers is dragging its feet.

^ to be honest, it will always be the SkyDome to many (myself included), regardless of who owns the naming rights
I kinda understand why people were reluctant to move from the SkyDome name to Rogers Centre....one was a non-corporate stadium name while the other wasn't (even though, in this case it isn't even a "naming rights" issue as Rogers does actually own the place).....I don't understand the angst around the hockey rink though......it came out of the ground with a corporate name and after 20 years is getting another corporate name for the next 20 years.......i really had no idea that Air Canada was a more beloved brand than ScotiaBank!

This will become the third Scotiabank branded major arena in Canada after the Scotiabank Saddledome and Scotiabank Centre in Halifax.

As for them renaming it, it's not going to happen unfortunately.
Ther are some thoughts because of the deal that Rogers and Bell made with the Argos to bring them into MLSE that the Jays could be brought in next. The Jays aren't exactly an easy team to buy and sell as Rogers also owns the satdium so they are kind of a package deal.

Honestly, I think the stadium will be torn down and rebuilt eventually. It is already 33 years old and quickly outliving it's lifespan. Unlike Wrigley Field or Fenway Park the stadium was never designed to last, it was designed to play baseball. No doubt once it hits 40 years old people will start asking to replace it with something more modern which is likely why Rogers is dragging its feet.

I find it hard to believe they didn't envision it lasting much beyond 30 years given its location.

It still has a lot of life - it just requires a major upgrade which is what has Rogers 'dragging their feet'. It'll cost at least a few hundred million to update - that's something they can't afford to screw up.

Back