Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

Well many people in Toronto see the MLS as being 3rd division soccer anywhere away from North America
People can believe what they choose to believe and I am not the guy who is going to spend any time trying to convince them otherwise or to like something they don't already like.

My comparison was with Atlanta attendance and Toronto attendance and which of those indicates there is more room to grow.

A quick survey of Russia 2018 stadium capacities puts most of them in the 45,000 range, with a few in the 60,000 plus and a few in the 35,000 plus range. In other words a pumped up BMO field would be just fine.

Thank you, this is quite reassuring.

If it were only about size you would be correct....but the quality of the stadium matters.

As far as BMO Field being a 'no frills' soccer venue, I concur. However, I anticipate that as more and more cities tighten their belts when it comes to large sporting events like the Olympics and World Cup, you will see more low-scale, 'economical' stadiums and arenas.

i think bmo should aim to expand to 40-45k. thats not terribly small by world standards and I think as soccer gains more popularity (all it has to compete with during the summer is cfl and blue jays), which would be further catalysed by the world cup, tfc will be able to consistently sell 40k seats at least.

I'd love to see them do something with that food building during the expansion - maybe a green roof or something.

Today:
bmoIMG_1097.JPG

Attachments

• bmoIMG_1097.JPG
    bmoIMG_1097.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 871
Right, Toronto has a bigger population than Atlanta of people that know 1st tier soccer, that's why we most likely will never see more than 25-30.000 people @ BMO for an MLS game

That's true, just look at the big crowds the Toronto bars get for the World Cup vs the small crowds for the Toronto FC playoffs. Not enough people in Toronto care about MLS soccer to have a 40 to 50 thousand seat stadium.

During the 2016 playoffs TFC was selling out the stadium with the additional capacity provided by the grey cup and winter classic (Crowds of 40K). I think they'll rebuild the west stand (note - the roof does not go as far back as the east stand likely accounting for private boxes) and a new south stand that is strictly safe standing (note, for those unfamiliar, the seats would be locked, meaning no seats, for MLS matches. For FIFA events the seats would be unlocked.) I suspect safe standing may eventually be setup in the north stand too. That will likely boost the capacity to 35 to 37K. The remaining 8000 or so seats will be temporary seating. I also suspect there will be vastly upgraded concessions. Going by the 2006 world cup, I suspect it may called FIFA World Cup Stadium Toronto in 2026.

Page 140 in that book

20180615_230125.jpg

If this were truly a "United" World Cup, Canada and Mexico would host Semi final and/or Third Place Play-Off games. The US can take the final match at the biggest stadium but having no games in Mexico and Canada after the round of 16 makes it clear that this is a US World Cup and the whole "united" branding is hypocrisy.

There's something there to BMO Field. Building a architecturally beautiful exterior envelope could pull it together. The concessions and hallways would need to be rebuilt completely.

Finally, the area surrounding it has major potential with Exhibition Place's architecture providing an anchor. The parking lots, replaced with a World Cup celebration festival with food and beer gardens could bring it home. I'd love to see Ontario Place's park and the land bridge over Lake Shore built by then. It's doable, though I'm cynical of Ford's interest in investing in a park in Toronto which he'd probably rather sell to private interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this were truly a "United" World Cup, Canada and Mexico would host Semi final and/or Third Place Play-Off games. The US can take the final match at the biggest stadium but having no games in Mexico and Canada after the round of 16 makes it clear that this is a US World Cup and the whole "united" branding is hypocrisy.

Blame the CSA and FMF for that then - they agreed to the schedule as part of the bid.

The USSF could have done the tournament by themselves very easily.

The one benefit that we're likely to have guaranteed from hosting a World Cup in 8 years, is a brand new connection to Liberty Village and the GO station. The current tunnel is narrow and dangerous.

IMG_3187.JPG

After complaining to Mike Layton, he said that politics of who would pay for it are in play. That stalemate is likely to fall and be figured into the World Cup budget.

World Cup attendees are going to head to Liberty Village for after game meals and drinks. There needs to be a safe and seamless connection under the tracks. No stairs, just a wide ramp down and back up that can handle thousands of people in a short time. The current stairs can handle at most a dozen people at a time. When games let out, hundreds of people are funnelling through 3 doors down a narrow staircase with the risk of people being pushed down stairs. I'll eat my hat if this isn't rebuilt entirely to handle a World Cup audience.

Attachments

• IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 541
It's getting upgraded as a part of RER - the ridership growth demands of the new service is going to require a lot more infrastructure.

It isn't going to be a ramp - but they are going to build 2 new tunnels with expanded capacity.

Back