News   Apr 16, 2024
 324     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 730     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 489     3 

I miss the 1990's

Nevermind software upgrades. Software installation from scratch is worse. I recall Corel Draw (ick) must came with like what, 20 3.5" floppies.

AoD

For real!

Multi-disc games. Never mind the (was it?) 2 CD KQ7.....I'm talking Freddy Pharkas with I think it was 5 floppies of the 5" variety. I remember some installations taking long enough to have a meal or two during.

This reminds me of my first computer: Norton Command Tree. Yellow on Blue supreme organisation. So much easier to find files when there aren't that many to look through and they're all perfectly organised. I miss the yellow on blue. :(

Man, I also miss text-based MMORPGs. Internet went downhill once Flash animation started taking off.

Also, very 90s request here: I have a Compaq Armada from about 1998. Totally works but I've lost the friggin power cord. Anyone holding out on the power cords up in here, by chance?

It contains all my notes from my university side-studies.

Nor do I miss getting software upgrades via the mini-floppies.

Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

From link.

Still have some. Should junk them. Are they recyclable?
I don’t miss them. I had the 5.25” with my TRS-80. Not recyclable.

80's and 90's were good times. #80sbaby
Sadly, I could be authoring the I love the 80s thread.

Here’s a controversial thought. I liked 80s music which I found charged me up.

New Order and Bizarre Love Triangle, Howard Jones and New Song, YES, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Def Leopard, Steve Winwood, Aretha, James Brown, Tina, Duran Duran...Guns n Roses and KC and the Sunshine Band - almost 70s.

90s music was depressing with (sorry) losers offing themselves. Grunge...yuck. How depressing. Hootie and the Blowfish, really? Although the Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony helped the last half of the decade. Now that I think about it, Cranberries were a good start with “Everybody Else is Doing It, Why Can’t We”

90s music was depressing with (sorry) losers offing themselves. Grunge...yuck. How depressing.

No way man, my 90s music (though, I also listened to Grunge) was the opposite of depressing.

Exhibit A: Eurohouse! Those choons are about as depressing as a bottle of "beans". Though, one could say that they find its shrill exuberance depressing, sure.

I'll agree with your take on 80s choons though. I love me some 80s synth or Acid House. I think I have all the Duran Duran albums on vinyl.

Speaking of which, you every listen to Synthwave? You might like it. Or it might make you want to cry. Only one way of finding out. Try: Carpenter Brut

Typical....I'm off topic again. Trying to bookend the 90s or something.

Last edited:
Sadly, I could be authoring the I love the 80s thread.

Here’s a controversial thought. I liked 80s music which I found charged me up.

New Order and Bizarre Love Triangle, Howard Jones and New Song, YES, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Def Leopard, Steve Winwood, Aretha, James Brown, Tina, Duran Duran...Guns n Roses and KC and the Sunshine Band - almost 70s.

90s music was depressing with (sorry) losers offing themselves. Grunge...yuck. How depressing. Hootie and the Blowfish, really? Although the Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony helped the last half of the decade. Now that I think about it, Cranberries were a good start with “Everybody Else is Doing It, Why Can’t We”

I guess it depends on the type of music. I liked everything really but was really into R&B and Rap. 90s was the golden era for those genres. Just too many greats. Yea, 80s music though was about having a good time. You could dance to the stuff.

To make up for my off topic Synthwave, I present to you this 90s beauty:

PS: Punk is still not dead, believe it or not.

The phone was always busy in my parents’ home.

Ended up using the second phone line. Each phone line had 4 wires, but only need two wires for a telephone land line to work. Wires 3 & 4 were for a second line, which I used only for the computer. No need for filters.

Wiring is now changed due to Bell Fibe, to distribute television, internet, and land line telephone.

Back