News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It wasn't a rumour. And the whole idea of it has been kyboshed by the TTC's union.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Probably a good thing.

The skill set of driving a GO Bus on the highway is very different from driving a bus in downtown-style traffic.

hooray! unions at it once again!

This doesn't seem unreasonable. If someone demanded I work 22 weekends of the year (in addition to my normal weekday tasks) I'd tell them to hire additional people too.

The Union didn't make TTC operations 10% understaffed; Ford and Tory budget measures did it (even as Ford gave the union infinite negotiating power). It's pretty two-faced to bitch about bus drivers being on the sunshine list then setting hours in such a way that some work 90+ hours/week on average through the year.

What we don't know is how much advance notice TTC received that operations would not be covering the overtime (was it weeks or discussed during the last round of contract negotiations).

Last edited:
This doesn't seem unreasonable. If someone demanded I work 22 weekends of the year (in addition to my normal weekday tasks) I'd tell them to hire additional people too.

No one has demanded anything. The vast majority of the runs were being filled with operators working voluntary overtime. Only a small proportion of the service was being provided by regular crews - and those guys were already scheduled to work on the weekends anyways.

The Union didn't make TTC operations 10% understaffed; Ford and Tory budget measures did it (even as Ford gave the union infinite negotiating power). It's pretty two-faced to bitch about bus drivers being on the sunshine list then setting hours in such a way that some work 90+ hours/week on average through the year.

It's waaaaaaay more complex than that. For some time, the TTC has been understaffing a number of the positions in operations and maintenance, and using overtime to fill the gaps. This is pretty standard in all sorts of industries - it allows for some limited savings for the company as they don't have to hire more employees (and train them, provide them benefits, etc.) and still do the same amount of work. And from the employees standpoint, they benefit because the ability is there for them to make a couple of extra bucks that could be well-needed. So really, some limited understaffing is usually well received by both parties.

Well, I say both parties, when in fact there are three involved. And to be honest, the only ones who don't benefit from such a system is the union themselves, as they get more union dues as the company hires more employees. And there is some thought that they are doing this in spite of pushback from the employees.

What we don't know is how much advance notice TTC received that operations would not be covering the overtime (was it weeks or discussed during the last round of contract negotiations).

The union only notified the TTC about 3 or 4 weeks before the end of the agreement that it would not be renewed. It sounds like they had tied the renewal of the agreement with a requirement that certain changes were made to the TTC's bargaining arrangements.

Dan
Toronto, Ont

TTC is having Low Bay open this year as part of Open Doors this weekend, but only on Sat 10-5.

May 17
Dundas & Acorn
27340824617_60c285edf8_b.jpg

42165905872_4828d1bd22_b.jpg

TTC Kipling Station Temporary Bus Stop Outside TTC Paid Area At St Albans Rd Entrance
42165778882_68d2be3bb7_b.jpg

TTC Building An Extension To Kipling Station Parking Lot In The Hydro Corridor On The East Side Of Kipling Ave
42211647201_9c0318a257_b.jpg

42165793912_a5a6ce00dc_b.jpg

28339274748_e8aa50c634_b.jpg

TTC Kipling Station Roof And Station Being Rebuilt
28339270578_83677bbc42_b.jpg

42165789582_5447dc6fc2_b.jpg

28339266798_d1c4d7e00a_b.jpg

From today's New York Times. Andy B must think he is in a Groundhog Day situation!

A sweeping proposal to overhaul New York City’s subway and improve the broader transit system is expected to cost more than $19 billion, according to two people who were briefed on Tuesday, and goes far beyond the emergency repair plan that was unveiled last summer after the subway fell into crisis.

The proposal by the subway’s new leader, Andy Byford, will be announced on Wednesday in a highly anticipated presentation before the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s board.

Mr. Byford has warned that the subway needs major upgrades to reverse its precipitous slide and the work will require short-term pain for millions of subway riders. His plan will focus on speeding up the rollout of a new signal system to replace the subway’s current antiquated equipment, according to the two people who were briefed on the plan on Tuesday and did not want to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Mr. Byford wants to install new signals on significant parts of the system over the next five years, the people said. That is a far shorter timeline than previous estimates from subway officials who have said that modernizing signals across the system could take nearly 50 years. The existing signals break down on a regular basis and some are so old that replacement parts are no longer manufactured.

See: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

From today's New York Times. Andy B must think he is in a Groundhog Day situation!

A sweeping proposal to overhaul New York City’s subway and improve the broader transit system is expected to cost more than $19 billion, according to two people who were briefed on Tuesday, and goes far beyond the emergency repair plan that was unveiled last summer after the subway fell into crisis.

The proposal by the subway’s new leader, Andy Byford, will be announced on Wednesday in a highly anticipated presentation before the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s board.

Mr. Byford has warned that the subway needs major upgrades to reverse its precipitous slide and the work will require short-term pain for millions of subway riders. His plan will focus on speeding up the rollout of a new signal system to replace the subway’s current antiquated equipment, according to the two people who were briefed on the plan on Tuesday and did not want to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Mr. Byford wants to install new signals on significant parts of the system over the next five years, the people said. That is a far shorter timeline than previous estimates from subway officials who have said that modernizing signals across the system could take nearly 50 years. The existing signals break down on a regular basis and some are so old that replacement parts are no longer manufactured.

See: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Good on him. The NYC Transit System is falling apart with some of the stations being death traps (literally). They need to spend money on something other than stop gap measures. It may be painful but it is what needs to be done.

Andy is the right guy to head this up. Toronto will miss him but he righted the ship here and now he took on a bigger task. I wonder though if he bit off more than he can chew.

TTC opens doors to Bay Lower this Saturday

May 23, 2018

This Saturday, May 26 only, the TTC is giving visitors the red carpet treatment with one-day access to Bay Lower Station as part of Doors Open presented by Great Gulf.

Bay Lower has been closed to the public since 1966 but can be seen - often disguised as an American subway station - in numerous movies and TV shows filmed on site. On Saturday, transit and film enthusiasts can stroll along the platform and view posters and video of many productions filmed there, including Suicide Squad and The Handmaid's Tale.

When Line 2 opened in 1966, alternate trains used the "Wye" connection in Bay Lower that allowed customers to travel from Line 1 to Line 2 without changing trains. The TTC tested this system for six months but customers found it too confusing, and Bay Lower was closed to revenue service. In addition to film and TV production, Bay Lower is used for training, as well as for moving trains and workcars between Lines 1 and 2.

Doors Open visitors will also get a chance to see the Toronto Rocket Subway Train LEGO prototype designed and built by TTC subway operator Aaron Chapman. In order for the design to make it into toy stores, 10,000 votes must be cast on the LEGO Ideas website at https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http://bit.ly/TTC_LEGO&data=02|01||33448328ffd8454848df08d5c0d36ead|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|636626936676859097&sdata=a/0mLVQQJXYjn5pGyabX+hxOtamxaxuNDrvNf0SqxG4=&reserved=0.

Date: Sat., May 26, 2018 ONLY
Time: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Where: Bay Subway Station

Please note that Bay Station is not accessible, and the only access to Bay Lower is by stairs.

From the TTC:

A portion of TTC Line 2 to close early tonight for track work

May 23, 2018

Line 2 Bloor-Danforth will close at midnight tonight between Warden and Kennedy stations only for emergency track repair. Shuttle buses will run from midnight until the end of service tonight. The subway will reopen at the start of service tomorrow.

Wheel-Trans will be available upon request from Warden, Kennedy and Victoria Park stations for customers who require an accessible connection. To request the service, customers can speak with any TTC personnel.

Recent track damage has made it necessary for subway trains passing between Warden and Kennedy Stations to travel at reduced speeds. This repair will allow service in the area to return to normal.

I was trying to catch the first train westbound out of Warden this morning but got forced to take the 70 to Coxwell Station due to a late clearing work zone. Now that I am seeing this I am getting suspicious of that reason.

I recall a few years ago there was a derailment at the Kennedy Crossover resulting in a chipped frog and damaged concrete. Did something similar happen last night?

From the TTC:

A portion of TTC Line 2 to close early tonight for track work

May 23, 2018

Line 2 Bloor-Danforth will close at midnight tonight between Warden and Kennedy stations only for emergency track repair. Shuttle buses will run from midnight until the end of service tonight. The subway will reopen at the start of service tomorrow.

Wheel-Trans will be available upon request from Warden, Kennedy and Victoria Park stations for customers who require an accessible connection. To request the service, customers can speak with any TTC personnel.

Recent track damage has made it necessary for subway trains passing between Warden and Kennedy Stations to travel at reduced speeds. This repair will allow service in the area to return to normal.

I was trying to catch the first train westbound out of Warden this morning but got forced to take the 70 to Coxwell Station due to a late clearing work zone. Now that I am seeing this I am getting suspicious of that reason.

I recall a few years ago there was a derailment at the Kennedy Crossover resulting in a chipped frog and damaged concrete. Did something similar happen last night?

There was a signal issue between those two stations a couple of days ago - I have been led to believe that it was a broken rail. I suspect that this is related to that, since it was in the same in the same general area.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back