News   Apr 24, 2024
 594     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 810     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 540     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

I wonder if it would be possible to say increase the SSE's tax levy and make it a dedicated transit expansion tax. Like say increase it by 1% (to 2.5%) and remove the 30 year term making it an indefinite tax. Similar to how LA County is paying for its transit expansions (in LA its a 1% tax (used to be 0.5%) and was made indefinite during the referendum of Measure M).
For all of the GTHA, not just Toronto, especially not just Scarborough.

Well that would then be up to the Province. The GTHA is multiple political jurisdictions while what we think of as LA is actually multiple towns and Cities (including LA) under the umbrella of LA County so its all 1 upper level jurisdiction whereas the GTHA is 6 .

Vote to throw imaginary bone to Malvern. The likelihood of this line being constructed prior to 2035 is tiny.

Last edited:
Good. I can't wait for the Malvern section to be canceled. Wake me up when City Council proposes useful transit services, rather than using it as a consolation prize to make people feel better about themselves.

So basically the Sheppard East LRT and Eglinton East LRT as 1 line?

And why stop there. It could head north to Finch East and continue going west as the Finch line and head south to the airport and the Eglinton LRT can connect with itself on the west end making it one gigantic loop.

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/999033564967600134
Basically council is being asked to approve studying extending the LRT beyond its previous planned terminus at U of T Scarborough, into the Malvern neighbourhood. Staff also recommending a tunnel beneath the Kingston Rd-Lawrence Ave-Morningside section.

Total cost of the longer LRT isn’t yet known. The tunnel could add up to $466 million to the price tag

City staff say city would take the lead on procurement for the Eglinton East LRT. That’s odd cause it would be an extension of the Eglinton Crosstown, which is a provincial project.

City transportation planner says planning and construction would take 4 years, LRT could be done by 2025.

Director of transportation planning James Perttula says once this LRT is built, Malvern residents will be able to travel “clear across the city.”

Cllr Layton trying to pin down Perttula on why staff are recommending tunneling the Kingston/Lawrence area. I think his point was that it was based on evidence. Doug Ford has said he’d build the whole thing underground, for which there appears to be no evidence at this point.

Cllr Pasternak is asking why the Eglinton East LRT is getting so much attention, while the Sheppard subway extension he likes to call the North York Relief Line hasn’t got any love.

Perttula says that it would cost an additional $400 million to take LRT from UTSC to Malvern. To get from Kennedy to UTSC was previously estimated at about $1.6B.

Cllr Matlow moves to cancel the one-stop Scarborough subway, use the savings to build the original Scarborough LRT and the Eglinton East LRT.

Matlow argues that extending the original Scarb LRT to Malvern (left), would get Malvern residents to the subway faster than would extending the Eglinton East LRT (right).
Dd1S4RkUwAEc33E.jpg

Speaker Nunziata rules Matlow’s motion on the Scarborough subway is out of order. “The Scarborough subway is not before us,” she says. He challenges her ruling.

Council upholds Nunziata’s ruling in a vote of 28-9. The Scarborough subway will not be dying today.
And why stop there. It could head north to Finch East and continue going west as the Finch line and head south to the airport and the Eglinton LRT can connect with itself on the west end making it one gigantic loop.
Before this is built the ECLRT itself is up for replacement.

On the heels of this being approved, I find this on the City website.

https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/8E763C38CA3041BA85258289006C2E8F?OpenDocument

A tender that includes resurfacing Kingston Rd. in the Lawrence/Morningside section.

Now, it may well need it; and the EELRT may well be some years off, but unless its over 10 years away, I find this a bit offputting.

This section will need full reconstruction as part of the LRT project.

If it going to be completely rebuilt, why not just leave it; or if its really rough, due a quick mill/grind job for much less $$$ that buys you a few years.

Just a passing thought.

On the heels of this being approved, I find this on the City website.

https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/8E763C38CA3041BA85258289006C2E8F?OpenDocument

A tender that includes resurfacing Kingston Rd. in the Lawrence/Morningside section.

Now, it may well need it; and the EELRT may well be some years off, but unless its over 10 years away, I find this a bit offputting.

This section will need full reconstruction as part of the LRT project.

If it going to be completely rebuilt, why not just leave it; or if its really rough, due a quick mill/grind job for much less $$$ that buys you a few years.

Just a passing thought.

Fortunately just a small overlap with the LRT

But they redid Morningside last year, from Kingston Road north to the bridge.

So this might not be a thing anymore, unless it's all off the road, assuming a route from Don Mills to Kennedy gets built in some form.

Back