News   Apr 24, 2024
 914     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 608     0 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

Pro subway people are the reason why the DRL is being planned (relatively quickly) - and as fully grade-separated.
Pro subway people are happy DRL is a subway.

If the DRL was planned relatively quickly it would've been done decades ago.

The reason the DRL is being planned as fully grade separated is because that's what necessary based on transit need - not because the some sort of pro-subway lobby won out.

I'm not pro-LRT nor pro-subway. I'm pro-transit. I'm willing to bet most people who believe an LRT is the best solution for Scarborough fall under the same category.

I'd love to have subways everywhere - unfortunately things like density, ridership and cost are all factors. Given these factors, subways aren't always the best solution for every transit problem.

For the talk that Howarth is pro-Scarborough Subway, her answer here is interesting:

http://www.680news.com/video/2018/05/17/andrea-horwath-on-downtown-relief-line-scarborough-subway/

It's quite clear her government's priority is the DRL. The Scarborough Subway only came up when she was asked about it, and her answer was that she'd defer to the city's decision.

Hardly a ringing endorsement lol.
Well, the province vetoing a municipal decision is unpopular in most cases.

Well, relatively quickly since Rob Ford put subway construction ahead of on-street LRT.

No he didn't.

The Scarborough LRT was not an on-street LRT - it was going to be exactly the same setup the current RT.

Ford "prioritized" subways in areas that were politically advantageous, against the recommendation of transit/planning experts. I put prioritized in quotes because he had no real plan to build anything - it was all politics.

Prioritizing any one mode of transit over all others in all situations is incredibly foolish.

Well, the province vetoing a municipal decision is unpopular in most cases.

Of course - my point is that it doesn't seem to be a project he NDP endorses.

If the city decides to cancel it I get the feeling they're not going to go out of their way to save it.

Of course - my point is that it doesn't seem to be a project he NDP endorses.

If the city decides to cancel it I get the feeling they're not going to go out of their way to save it.

Which further emphasizes my point that Doug Ford's Conservatives are the best hope Scarborough has at getting the subway actually built. The NDP's true intentions have not changed one bit.

^ No one is forcing you to. But voters in the six Scarborough ridings had better take heed over which party will get them through their daily commutes faster and more efficiently.

The main point is, the provincial NDPs have no intention to block Scarborough subway; they understand it is popular.

When Howarth says DRL is the first priority, there is nothing wrong with that; it is a high priority and it is not funded yet. Scarborough subway is funded and will be built, therefore it is not a top concern.

I'm not going to vote NDP (for reasons other than transit); will vote for the Liberals. But on the transit matters, she didn't say anything wrong.

And you guys already lost that battle with the DRL expansion. Although scarborough probably should have pushed back again Vaughan a bit harder...
While the support percentage is subject to debate...

The percentage is very plastic. It could theoretically very easily be:
"Do you support any one subway expansion that you feel is justified somewhere?" = greater than 50% support.
"Do you support specifically, the DRL? the SSE? the ___?" = under than 50% support.
If done as an Ontario-wide poll. Everyone has an opinion & a favourite and will often not support other subways as a result. Not everyone agrees which subway is justified.

... I do agree for the "lost the battle" phrase. I think what denfromoakvillemilton is really saying with this phrase is that by forging ahead with DRL-South and DRL-North -- we have little opportunity to change the Scarborough subway result. While not triple-level funded yet -- part of DRL is already funded by some levels of government, so the momentum is incredibly forward at the moment almost unlike any time in forever.

The DRL planning is now occuring at now-incredible rapidity (to the point where it looks all but certain North will begin building right after South).

All of the three political parties appear to be strongly behind DRL (even Ford) and Federal is already itching to fund DRL.

If we want to preserve that journey, it's getting increasingly difficult to change the Scarborough subway plan.

I'm not happy with it, but if that what it takes for DRL South/North to be built relatively quickly (Toronto continuing condo boom has nearly completely doomed the political ability to easily cancel both North/South DRL fully) -- for DRL it's going to be a boobytrap & mutual assured destriction to yank SSE.

So I agree, I feel we lost the opportunity to change the Scarborough subway (except to to improve the plan such as adding back stations) if we want to avoid sabotaging the full good DRL momentum.

To borrow a phrase: IT'S A TRAP!

Last edited:
I'd say the Scarborough Subway decision is far from a lock since we haven't yet received the updated cost - one Tory doesn't want released until after the election.

If the new estimate is $5 billion - $6 billion, are all levels of government going to be all-in?

There is not 99 percent support for the subway. It's not even half that. And you guys already lost that battle with the DRL expansion. Although scarborough probably should have pushed back again Vaughan a bit harder...

Absolutely it's still 99% democratic support for the "subway". Which meant a proper subway or at a minimum do better than Transfer City. When Council strips the SSE down to one stop, then certainly very few residents are happy with the line in its current form. Residents are fed up with the whole ordeal with the divided council and worse those voting the hospital stop out in hopes to push the transfer LRT plan back in. Doug had this ball tee'd up for him with the one stop and will see massive support here once again,adding the stops and moving on. Subway on the RT corridor or seamless LRT from the Crosstown would have been easily supported if we went back 7 years. Both had there chances and the LRT was supported by Rob. If its one stop its not because Scarborough or outside Politicians who tried to help connect the Centre better chose this option, they just didn't want certain "Downtown" councils transfer option and all other options were road blocked with this hardened agenda to dictate. Tory has done extremely well to stick handle and atleast keep the subway alive to hand off to the Province and create a more detailed network.

Last edited:

Back