Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

There's a community meeting for the project tomorrow evening:

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 4.20.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 4.20.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 4.20.40 PM.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 494
FYI in the Report to TEYCC today the PATH connection is noted as:

The proposal includes retail uses at grade and a PATH connection to the adjacent building to the west, which will provide weather protected pedestrian access to the north and south, consistent with the City PATH Masterplan

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-115563.pdf

The info is more or less in the presentations posted many pages ago (include the WT DRP one) as well - plans included.

AoD

Did anyone attend last night's meeting?

I was there - it was pretty empty and straight-forward. Maybe half a dozen people from the community. Saw some renderings I had not seen before.

Adamson talked about the driving factors behind the architecture, (e.g. lifting the building over the heritage structure to avoid disturbing it), how the superstructure design works, the atriums that will provide views at each corner of the building as it rises up. They have concerns about the Gardiner/Lake Shore cutting the building off, so they're figuring out ways to animate the north side so it connects with the rest of Bay Street. This may (he emphasized "may") include under-lighting the Gardiner and/or some ground-level features they're considering for the north side of the building.

There were only a couple of questions; one being from a cynical gentleman who had concerns that Oxford would eventually swallow up the heritage building as part of a "phase two", which the city planning manager quickly put to rest as it'll be protected by the city. The second question was from myself, asking about the building's accessibility via the PATH bottleneck at Air Canada Centre (i.e. the stairs) and what options are being considered. The city's senior planner, Leontine Major, said that it's a focus of theirs and they're considering either expanding the scope of the Union Revitalization to facilitate a better Southcore connection, or using Section 37 funds.

Great question re: PATH @sikandar! Thanks for asking that, and for the report. Interesting that so few attended: it's obviously not seen as an issue in the community.

Great question re: PATH @sikandar! Thanks for asking that, and for the report. Interesting that so few attended: it's obviously not seen as an issue in the community.

Before the meeting began, one of the suits (I think he was from Oxford?) asked me and another community resident if we were from Pinnacle, so I wonder if they anticipated a push-back from that building that didn't materialize.

Interesting that so few attended: it's obviously not seen as an issue in the community.

Yeah strange, haha no pitchforks this time around...I guess this group gave up at how tall is too tall down there?

The York Quay Neighbourhood Association celebrates its win by hosting an upbeat party. Tea and crumpets were catered specifically for the event (Ambulances were also on standby).

yqna_party_at_ulla_s_lhd4.jpg

Last edited:

Back