News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 721     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Christ, everybody just complains about everything nowadays. Quiet zone is BS PR and as mentioned above, not enforceable. Fact that it is only for rush hour is proof of that. Be as loud as you want on late night trains I guess, eh./?

Rush hour is when you get the largest percentage of "single" riders, whereas off-peak you tend to get a lot more families and groups of friends, who tend to talk more. Most people I see on the train during rush hour just want a quiet space to read a book/magazine, watch something on their iPad, or grab a few minutes of sleep.

I'm not advocating deliberately being a noisy bastard, but the people that give you death glares for normal-level speaking need to get over themselves.

Generally, from what I've seen people only really get upset when a few exchanges start to become a full conversation. I have no problem when someone who is sitting in the Quiet Zone gets a phone call from their spouse and they answer it to say "I'm on the train. I'll be home at 6. Love you. Bye." It's when the conversation starts to shift to "yeah, so so-and-so did something really funny at work today" that people start getting annoyed.

If you need to sleep, go to bed earlier. You dont have some inalienable right to be able to use the train as your bed.

If you need to carry on a conversation with your buddy for 20 mins, either go sit somewhere else or meet up at a bar afterwards. I really don't need to hear it, especially if I choose to sit in a place on the train where the expectation is that I won't have to.

Also, you don't have some inalienable right to be able to let your kids use the GO train seats as a jungle gym.

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_153840.jpg
    IMG_20180504_153840.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 235
It seems from the map that the CP route is the preferred option.

What’s interesting is the loop in Guelph northwards from the junction, up the old Fergus Sub and back down the CP line to downtown. I wonder what they think the value of that ‘enhancement’ is.

A jitney service to Guelph up the GEXR is certainly possible - and a spur platform at Guelph station isn’t that hard to achieve. I doubt the ridership would be huge, however.

- Paul

^ The map also shows the freight bypass (in grey) and the legend text appears to call it the "Missing Link - (CP Freight By-Pass).

^ The map also shows the freight bypass (in grey) and the legend text appears to call it the "Missing Link - (CP Freight By-Pass).
Good catch!
That is Phase 2 of the bypass essentially, alas.

I think initially Phase 1 is only going to serve CN.

The townhall said Mr. Verster spent 3 out of the last 4 weeks at CN negotiating -- which is probably including the Bypass talks.

gweed123 said:
Also, you don't have some inalienable right to be able to let your kids use the GO train seats as a jungle gym.
Did I say that? No.

And I clearly don't have that right, as I believe that it is against GO Transits policies and I could be fined for doing so.

If you are trying to equate the two (climbing on seats /not talking) they are certainly not equal. You are basically saying that you're right to quiet trumps my right to be able to speak. If it came down to legal rights, I'm sure that would not be the case.

the "rules" in the case are very difficult for any parent to manage.

Perhaps the problem is that the the quiet zone is just too large....maybe it should be the upper level of every other car? or maybe just that area (have no idea what it is called) half way up....not the lower not the upper but the bit above the wheels where the cars connect.

They put the quiet zone on the upper level because the least noise is made up there by the wheels, doors, and customer service ambassadors. The mid levels are the noisiest because you get all three of these present. I agree with @reaperexpress that the train layout needs some serious work. Quiet zones should encourage usage of quiet activities such as computer use, tablet use, reading, napping, or reading. If they add seats that have tray tables and can partially recline, then you encourage all these activities. Add overhead racks and there's plenty of space to do your work, and there are no issues with luggage for those taking trains to Weston station

Be as loud as you want on late night trains I guess, eh./?
When I was in high school, whenever my friends and I joined me on an excursion to Toronto, we'd always end up on the last train back to Kitchener in a car with no one else in it between Mt Pleasant and Kitchener. You can imagine the fun times that occurred once the car emptied.

CBC article on the Cambridge GO announcement, notice the subheading "Study will explore idea of using CN tracks along Fergus subdivision".

Feasibility study will look at GO train service in Cambridge

The use of the Fergus Sub may or may not be ideal, but it could provide a great link between Cambridge and Guelph, connecting to ION. DMU use could also provide for a semi-frequent service, not just rush hour. Also, if a transfer at Guelph Central was required, it could be GO's first rail line that doesn't connect to Union directly. Since usage of the rail corridor is minimal, this could be a "quick win" solution.

Like the Ottawa O-Train pilot project for Cambridge-Guelph.

It was very cheap amd resoundingly popular with Carleton University students.

I think it cost only about 35 million dollars (2001 funds) if I recall correctly. The whole shebang, 3 trains (2 active, 1 spare), 5 basic outdoor stations with cookie cutter bus shelters normally used for artery bus stops, and cost of construction in an existing 1-track freight corridor. All-day! 2-way! Subway-style level boarding! 15-min frequency! All of it.

The entire pilot LRT system for less than than the price of a GO station.

Last edited:

Back