News   Apr 24, 2024
 640     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 834     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 550     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

They aren't and again, I have to make this point clear, since so many posters are missing it, but journos aren't. A few seats can hold the balance of power in a minority result, and since the Dippers claim the Libs are untenable as coalition partners, as in BC and other jurisdictions elsewhere, Greens hold the balance of power. As to the NDP and Scarborough, one has to question the wisdom of touting the toxic SSE when chances of any candidates (if and when they are chosen) getting elected in Scarborough is slight.

It's a gamble on Howarth's part that may not pay-off, and meantime she's badly compromised herself by acting totally contrary to any established transit planner.

Sure, a few seats could - but will it matter if one of them wins a majority?

I appreciate what the Green's are doing, but keeping out of the subway debate for now is the smart political move for the NDP.

I’m really unsure about how much an impact these scandals are going to have on the PCs. The Fords, after all, are Teflon. Not to mention after the Patrick Brown scandal broke, there was a tiny blip in the PC polling numbers, but they still remained in first.

It might work in the PCs favour that all the scandals are breaking just before the long weekend and with many people on vacation and not checking their news feed.

The NDP has the biggest room to grow out of all this.. I can imagine their new ad roll along the lines of “Two parties for corruption, one party for positive change.”

If the candidates have to pull out of the race, leaving the PCs with no representation in those ridings, it could have a huge impact.

Sure, a few seats could - but will it matter if one of them wins a majority?
Of course, but a majority is not the likelihood being discussed. It's a two or three way minority with razor close results in which even one seat of an independent or Green could tip the balance to making a case to the Lieutenant Governor to form a government. If the present trends showing in the polls translates to number of seats matching the proportion popular poll result, this is a quite possible outcome. With three or more independents and Greens, that likelihood increases.

As to the Rob Ford diaspora....I've been intrigued with how the public is being manipulated so incredibly easily with the 'Yanni v Laurel' imbroglio. Is there any wonder the Russians are having a heyday with this?

From a discussion on the technical aspects of the Yanni thing (I'm an audio engineer, albeit component development, analog) to musician friends with a sprinkling of technical understanding (I've redesigned and rebuilt a lot of equipment for them over the years):
[...]
On further thought, and the dress imbroglio was a prime case, also manipulated by the media, it *was and is* blue (not gold, false pics were circulated to feed the hysteria) another factor at play is *subtractive* product. This happens with colour, and was/is a huge factor in rendering of colour in mediums: Additive or Subtractive colour. The same could occur with sound recognition, save that it would take some form of reference to 'add' or 'subtract' against.

Which brings us to the manipulation of bait and switch. Let's just dwell in the analog sphere for a moment. Stereo sound multiplexing. Long before digital broadcasting was thought of, let alone used commercially, a technique was used called "subsidiary broadcast channelling". It used a sub-carrier for Musak and other channels on top of regular radio channels. Rather than my explain this, read here: (not perfect, but good explanation)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiary_communications_authority

This was a form of 'multiplexing'...

Now fast forward to 'stereo' broadcasting. When listened to in mono....it could be used, by the use of a 'pilot tone' (that you wouldn't hear, it was either super or sub sonic) to switch between one channel or the other with a 'hidden switch', such that a broadcaster could substitute a word, phrase or dildo in your ear to fool you into thinking you're having great sex, an unlikely scenario for some, I admit....but none-the-less, the gullible masses would gobble it up, and claim that aliens had experimented on them since they felt so guilty having an unaccredited orgasm.

Now digital: (What's doubly interesting is that it is now claimed the voice was real, not synthesized, which has virtually zero affect on digital tricks available to manipulate the listener. The *medium* was/is digital.)

Now think about digital recording. How many tracks can you record on *one* digital channel? Approaching infinite depending on sample rate and the bandwidth of the medium, assuming the ability to code and decode of the equipment either end.

Accepting that, and the proclivity to fool ears and eyes with additive and subtractive sound (the latter, btw, actually being used for years to decode FM stereo multiplex broadcasts until the 'switching' method gained traction using the pilot sub-carrier times two, it was a crude form of digital discrimination but I digress, won't explain the math here), it is therefor incredibly easy for a technically adept person, probably a digital recording engineer, to encode an algorithm in digital stream to flip "Yammy" (it's not "Yanni") or "Laurel" either at a timed interval, or randomly to further the agenda of a wildly hysterical public acting like controlled puppets.

Which brings us to AggregateIQ, elections, and Rob Ford....
The theft of subscriber names, both legally and illegally, plays right into this. You're going to be hearing a lot more of the techniques now widespread of digital 'grooming' of the gullible public. Fantastic? It's working...

Edit to Add: Btw: I find it both humorous and deeply troubling that so many claimed "audio experts" completely miss how easy it is for a huckster to out-manipulate them on this. It's *vastly more* than just filtering "higher frequencies from low". A whole discussion on gullibility in itself...

Last edited:
Reactions: syn
If the candidates have to pull out of the race, leaving the PCs with no representation in those ridings, it could have a huge impact.

Given the sluggish pace of investigations, what is the likelihood of Elections Ontario/OPP filing charges to (potentially) multiple candidates in less than three weeks?

On a side note, what happens to voters who have already voted in the advanced polls/election office for candidates who are no longer running?

Last edited:
Given the sluggish pace of investigations, what is the likelihood of Elections Ontario/OPP filing charges to (potentially) multiple candidates in less than three weeks?

On a sidenote, what happens to voters who have already voted in the advanced polls/election office for candidates who are not longer running?

True. At the very least the NDP and Liberals can milk it until the end of the election.

The Conservatives are a disaster.

On a sidenote, what happens to voters who have already voted in the advanced polls/election office for candidates who are not longer running?
There is a zero chance of law enforcement prior to the election. Everything has to take place through the media.

Candidates can withdraw any time prior to June 7th. Since we are past the nomination deadline their name will appear on the ballot, but the CRO will post notices at all polls that the candidate has withdrawn.

Considering how RoDoFo have consistently mined emails on city business for addresses (reported here previously by others), are we a tad shocked about these data practices?

Isn't it hilarious? Thug's been pulling this kind of crap all along, with absolutely zero pushback from anyone in a position of authority, so one can only imagine his horrified incomprehension at this - for him - very typical move suddenly having consequences: "But...but..but...it wuz all right every time I did it before!!!!"

Isn't it hilarious? Thug's been pulling this kind of crap all along, with absolutely zero pushback from anyone in a position of authority, so one can only imagine his horrified incomprehension at this - for him - very typical move suddenly having consequences: "But...but..but...it wuz all right every time I did it before!!!!"
And the big story is not just Ford, it's the *extent* and ability to manipulate this information that's frightening. The UK and US are much more sensitized to the issue, even the May regime wants a crackdown on it. In Canada's case, it's not just AggregateIQ involved in 'surreptitious' activities, *all* the media and polling companies are to some degree. Left unchecked, it puts pressure on competitors to use the same practices. How widespread is this? So much so that there are now 'wholesalers' who sell mined information to the media manipulators.

Note the date on this, it predates the recent inquiries and revelations:

GettyImages-682344910-714x476.jpg

Theresa May's recent political uncertainty makes Europe's famously dysfunctional leadership look enviable | Pool photo by Justin Tallis/Getty Images | Pool photo by Justin Tallis/Getty Images

Theresa May’s Conservatives threaten social media crackdown if elected
Germany introduced a similar draft law that threatens fines of up to €50 million for violations.

By JOANNA PLUCINSKA

5/12/17, 11:30 PM CET

Updated 5/13/17, 6:22 AM CET

If Theresa May and the Conservative Party retain control of the government in the June 8 U.K. elections, they vow to beef up online protections for U.K. citizens, threatening fines against social media companies who fail to safeguard their users.
[...]
https://www.politico.eu/article/the...s-threaten-social-media-crackdown-if-elected/

Any discussion about this now in Canada has evaporated it seems.

This seems backwards. I can safeguard myself on social media, through controlling what I share and post.

Can you fully? It is one thing to share and post - it is another to share, post and expect that results to be packaged and sold off to second, third parties.

And it isn't just social media either, you know.

AoD

This seems backwards. I can safeguard myself on social media, through controlling what I share and post.
You can't safeguard what others do. Like with Cambridge Analytica, for example, when your friends may have shared access to your information on Facebook. Or when a friend mentions you.

Can you fully?

And it isn't just social media either, you know.

You can't safeguard what others do.
I'd posted a discussion I was having with musician friends a few posts back. One of them, a noted player around town, and a much more noted film editor, had sent me a link watch the Daily Show send up of the "Yanny v Laurel" broo-ha (ha). It was a CTV link.

I replied it wouldn't play for me, and sent all the details of why (I've since found it on Youtube from a number of indirect hits).

He couldn't believe that it wasn't some shortcome in my browser (I have three loaded) or my computer's virility. This is a left-leaning film editor, award winning, seasoned on two major digital editing suites, and he'd never heard of DRM! In all fairness, I'm an unabashed Linux user, and due to the OS not paying up front for digital rights (because it's free...duh!) and Apple and MS users have it enabled automatically in the OS as part of a licencing deal. Linux users are much more sensitized to what DRM allows or not, as you have to do a 'work around waiver' (digitally signed no-less...lol) to access it, or even play a DVD movie on the computer.

He was then taken aback when I pointed out that *even at the top of the linked page*...there was a "sign-in" button. I stated he must have cable or some form of subscription to the TV providers.

Remember, this is a very seasoned, politically astute (albeit naively left) digital film editor (even shot film is edited digitally with extremely rare exceptions in the art field) and didn't realize until I Googled and found for him how Apple (and ostensibly MS) have a 'one sign-in feature'.

And with that, my friends, goes quite a bit of information directly, and vastly more once the 'door' is opened. Perhaps easy for me, even though I'm not a digital tech, I understand how info must be piloted and synched to 'run over the highways'.

But the average Joe not only doesn't have a clue on this, they continue to be absent even after having it explained.

There's a hell of a lot more to come out on 'profiling' and beyond that, the subsequent 'grooming' of neophyte voters. The sooner the 'average user' of digital realizes that, then...Look! Squirrel! Vote Ford.

Edit to Add: Just checked what I last sent by email to my close but 'naive' friend:

TV providers that support single sign-on with your iOS device, Apple TV 4K, or Apple TV (4th generation)
Supported apps vary between iOS and tvOS, and also based on your provider. Here's a list of providers that support single sign-on.

Learn more about using single sign-on

Find apps that support single sign-on

Be very careful folks! This is like giving the key to the front-door to anyone that asks, bragging about how safe you feel, and then bitching about how you feel so violated when the Russians or worse come knocking, and walk right in when you don't answer.

At least Vlad is being up-front about it in a relative sense. He's the easy one to spot...

Edit to Add: And if this seems a bit 'abstract' for some to believe, Canada is considered one of the 'easy marks' for foreign hacks to exploit.

Who would you want to win if you were wishing bad thoughts about Canada? Ford is a prime teaching model for subversives to exploit. Put a moron in control of the steering, and watch the fun ensue...

Last edited:

Back