News   Apr 15, 2024
 857     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 636     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

While this may work in theory, typically TSP uses subsequent cycles to go back to the original coordinated signal plan. When you have a high frequency line like King it leaves the signal in a perpetual state of playing catch up, especially at major intersections which is where the highest delays are.

Well the for the majority of streetcars TSP doesn't do anything because they were going to get a green light anyway. And while the signal is in offset recovery, priority keeps working so that's not really an argument against it. Furthermore, with conditional priority the number of TSP requests is typically cut in half, which allows the signal to stay in sync more, not that that really matters on King Street where there's no traffic to coordinate for anyway.

When did the CEO say that the firmware issues are hampering the TSP rollout? Any chance it's in writing so I can follow up on it?
Here's mention in the March 2018 CEO report
Installing time-saving signal priority technology at 15 intersections to speed up bus travel time in Q2; we continue to have a number of technical issues with firmware etc., 6 have been installed in Q2.
Interestingly, this text appears in other past reports - September 2017:
Time-saving signal priority technology will be installed at 15 intersections to speed up bus travel time.
Six have been installed but there are technical issues with firmware
This should be completed by Q4 2017
I note however this refers to buses, but there definitely was an intent to have TSP on King in February.

I note however this refers to buses, but there definitely was an intent to have TSP on King in February.
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2018/March_20/Reports/1_Chief_Executive_Officer's_Report_March_2018_Update.pdf

Many thanks for that. There's a series of questions to be asked of the TTC and City, because what's been and is still being stated, and what's extant, functioning or not, doesn't add up.

Ah okay, that checks out. Evidently this is a general item not related to the King Pilot. It's talking about new intersections to be equipped with TSP, not the re-activation of existing TSP in the pilot area.

This epitomizes why Toronto has so many growing pains issues and our transit system is such a mess
What astounds me is Cressy's genuflecting to 'royalty' on this. Grovelling might be a more apt word. Even kiss-ass or licking. I note that the TTC is clearly upset. How's this City Hall? Take a plebiscite or even a quick poll to see what "People Are King" think about it? I can already guess...overwhelmingly.

No-one begrudges TIFF (Thankgod It's Fffing Friday) their little flash bash, just not on the the most used surface route, and the third largest route overall in Toronto, and on a working day.

Last edited:
When the mayor's spouse is on TIFF's board, what else would you expect?

Anyway, TIFF has to find a way for their their sponsors to promote their luxury cars and cosmetic products.
Indeed, can't have the Hoi Polloi ruining the flash-fest, Darling...I suspect a growing ground-swell of nastiness on this, and rightly so.

When the mayor's spouse is on TIFF's board, what else would you expect?

Anyway, TIFF has to find a way for their their sponsors to promote their luxury cars and cosmetic products.

Are you sure his wife is on the board? I don't think this is the case

Back