Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Remember that DREAM Unlimited bought in at the same time, so there are two serious developers behind this now. Simply looking at the timeline on this without referencing anything else will certainly result in suspicion regarding its fate, but that wouldn't be an informed result.

My understanding is that Great Gulf has been busy turning this into a "real" project that can actually get built - so a lot of changes. From what I've heard the project actually has a huge rush on it - despite what it may seem.

From what I know (not much) Great Gulf is super credible, so I guess it's in good hands.

according to urbandreamer on SSP "We should be seeing the revised Mirvish + Gehry renderings very soon....". I'm not a big fan of him but he is true most of the times.

Slightly unrelated but I was at the Fondation Louis Vuitton in Paris last week and of the four Gehry buildings I've been to it has to easily be the best. Hoping they stay true to some of the material requests he makes for these towers as that was one of the stand-out aspects of the design.

Slightly unrelated but I was at the Fondation Louis Vuitton in Paris last week and of the four Gehry buildings I've been to it has to easily be the best. Hoping they stay true to some of the material requests he makes for these towers as that was one of the stand-out aspects of the design.

The FLV is one of the most impressive buildings I've seen, anywhere. It's a masterpiece.

The FLV is one of the most impressive buildings I've seen, anywhere. It's a masterpiece.

Truly. The attention to detail is second to none and very much shows the difference between a well funded Gehry building versus one that has a lower budget (AGO). The second version of the renders for these towers (back when it was 3 towers) had the centre tower using a very similar "fan/canopy" design up the building that I thought had lots of potential (based upon the work at the time for for FLV). Suppose we are seeing Gehry's more recent design ideologies so should look more toward the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi or the Philadelphia Museum of Art addition as potential material and form reference.

Article in the Globe and Mail about Gehry and this project.

Said to be looking at sales in Spring 2019. A bit concerning about the market timing of this one. Kind of amazing how this project doesn't even crack the top 300 projects under discussion on the forum.

Article in the Globe and Mail about Gehry and this project.

Said to be looking at sales in Spring 2019. A bit concerning about the market timing of this one. Kind of amazing how this project doesn't even crack the top 300 projects under discussion on the forum.

There is nothing much to talk about given the relative lack of news and activity. It will get there when the plans are released, project goes on sale and the shovels are in.

Link to Globe and Mail article by @AlexBozikovic:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...g-inside-the-shape-of-the-architects-toronto/

The current Gehry proposal shows the two buildings reaching out across the street with billowing multistorey canopies of glass, elements that would create a strong sense of place.

As described I think this might be new - unless he is referring to the glass podiums reaching out visually.

AoD

Last edited:
To be clear, the article states sales to start in "early 2019". The article also has a picture of Gehry with a wooden model in the background dated May 18 (haven't posted it because I don't think I'm allowed). Even though sales aren't set to start until early 2019, it sounds like there is something set to happen sooner rather than later, as it states Gehry was promoting the building and showing the model to City officials recently, and that there are additional pictures that are currently under wraps.

Although the picture is somewhat blurry, the buildings look striking and very similar to the most recent models/renderings. I'm extremely excited for these. Let's just hope a trade war doesn't upend the development cycle before these get built...

There is nothing much to talk about given the relative lack of news and activity. It will get there when the plans are released, project goes on sale and the shovels are in.

Link to Globe and Mail article by @AlexBozikovic:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...g-inside-the-shape-of-the-architects-toronto/

As described I think this might be new - unless he is referring to the glass podiums reaching out visually.

AoD

The article also refers to one of the towers as "the tallest residential building in Canada." Thinking of 1BW, I'm wondering if the article got that wrong, or if they've added a few metres to grab the title.

FWIW, it also notes that Gehry visited GG last month to present the latest design to City staff and that the consortium plans to submit for final approvals this summer.

Back