News   Apr 18, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

It's really only the Mayor who needs to be careful of something like that, IMO. Which is exactly why Tory has been quite silent throughout this whole election, being careful not to step on anyone's toes.

There could be some potentially very weird dynamics given who JT was, what JT has said vis-a-vis the mayoral race and the internal party fissures in the PC. I am not sure if it is entirely avoidable.

$5 billion in funding is also relatively small cash for a government that has an annual operating budget of over $130 billion. Especially since the spending will be spread out over many years.

Past the next election, I would think.

AoD

There could be some potentially very weird dynamics given who JT was, what JT has said vis-a-vis the mayoral race and the internal party fissures in the PC. I am not sure if it is entirely avoidable.

AoD

Oh definitely. He was swinging against Doug Ford until he became PC leader (in preparation for the projected mayoral match-up). He can't go too hard on Wynne or Horwath in the event they win, but he also can't buddy up to Ford or else he looks like a political opportunist (which, let's face it, he is). Until the campaign ends, at least.

If DoFo does win though, I can see Tory taking a sharp turn to the right in order to attract those Nayshun voters at the municipal level. He'll be doing smiling handshake photos with Ford the day after the election. I can see the agreement now: "I'll support your subways if you tell your voters to vote for me this October".

Do the increased project costs result in more money from the Federal Government?

Yes but likely not until the next Federal election. Then the funds will start flying as long as pressure is coming up from both Municipal and Provincial to share. Just as we see now with the Province being pressure by the a vocal City under Tory. Its about time, and hopefully Councillors who love to fight projects supported by residents in other areas far outside their own wards can start to see the benefits of a united City fro everyone to stop wasting time debating and push forward.

Last edited:
Does anyone here actually believe that Ford will follow through on these infrastructure promises?
Of course they don't believe it.

Everyone is well aware that the pathological lying addict isn't going to be good for transit. Those that shill for him simply want a white, male, anti-gay government.

How many times would one be fooled by blatant lies?

Councillor Matlow has released a statement on Doug Ford's transit promises:

pc%20transit1.jpg
One good thing about all of this is that everyone wants to build these projects.

The Liberals have had 15 years to build the DRL and did nothing. Reelect them and four years from now the DRL will still not be shovel ready.
The DRL has been planned as a subway since the mid 1960s and as a streetcar subway for over a century. Every government has had time to build it but none of them have, including the PCs. The current government has advanced the project further than it's ever been, AFAIK. Do you really think that Mr. "the downtown people have enough subways already" Ford would have done any better?

Yes I know, his brother said that, but if Doug is going to take credit for his brother's supposed achievements he has to own up to the dumb stuff too.

The DRL has construction funding btw now, and no party is promising to rescind it. It's just moving through the process, which takes time. Especially since the city severely understaffs it's transport planning department.

Seems to work for the Liberals.
Politicians are politicians - but are you honestly comparing a pathological liar like Doug Ford to any other party leader? Remember when he claimed at City Council that Line 3 had grade crossings, and that's why it had to be replaced by subway?

That's just a complete level of moronic stupidity and ignorance that should be no where near government. The man is self-centred and lazy - and neither reads nor understands the reports that he needs to be able to follow in order to participate in the debate.

The DRL has been planned as a subway since the mid 1960s and as a streetcar subway for over a century.
The central section along Queen has been planned to be in a tunnel or a cut (like the Yonge line from Bloor to Eglinton) since it was approved by about 90% of the population in the January 1946 referendum.

If a 42-year PC government under moral, honest, and intelligent leaders such as Premier Drew, Premier Frost, Premier Robarts, and Premier Davis couldn't pull it off, then how naive does one have to be to think an immoral pathological liar like Doug Ford with his history of drugs and corruption would be able to do it?

Hmmm...coming from a former Liberal MPP Candidate. Shocking that he is against the PC's
That's hardly fair. Surely anyone not against the PCs is against transit!

Last edited:
Politicians are politicians - but are you honestly comparing a pathological liar like Doug Ford to any other party leader? Remember when he claimed at City Council that Line 3 had grade crossings, and that's why it had to be replaced by subway?

That's just a complete level of moronic stupidity and ignorance that should be no where near government. The man is self-centred and lazy - and neither reads nor understands the reports that he needs to be able to follow in order to participate in the debate.

The central section along Queen has been planned to be in a tunnel or a cut (like the Yonge line from Bloor to Eglinton) since it was approved by about 90% of the population in the January 1946 referendum.

If a 42-year PC government under moral, honest, and intelligent leaders such as Premier Drew, Premier Frost, Premier Robarts, and Premier Davis couldn't pull it off, then how naive does one have to be to think an immoral pathological liar like Doug Ford with his history of drugs and corruption would be able to do it?

I know you hate Doug Ford, but you should hate the Liberals more: its their incompetence that has allowed Ford to rise to his position.

Had they done a better job of running the province Ford wouldn't even have a sniff at Premiere.

I know you hate Doug Ford, but you should hate the Liberals more: its their incompetence that has allowed Ford to rise to his position.

Had they done a better job of running the province Ford wouldn't even have a sniff at Premiere.

I absolutely despise this line of reasoning. I've heard the same thing about Trump too. It conveniently takes the responsibility of Ford/Trump being in the position they're in off the shoulders of the people in their OWN PARTY who voted for them in the Leadership Race/Primaries, and places it on the shoulders of everyone else.

You can't have a party embrace an idiot in the Leadership Race/Primaries, and then go and blame the other party because they didn't do a good enough job of beating them. If you had done a better job of snuffing out their ambitions at that stage, when it was all within your own party, he wouldn't be an issue in the general election, either.

It's like Dr. Frankenstein blaming the villagers for not catching the Monster fast enough.

The constant hysterics are not helping. People wont vote for your guy just because you scream louder.

I absolutely despise this line of reasoning. I've heard the same thing about Trump too. It conveniently takes the responsibility of Ford/Trump being in the position they're in off the shoulders of the people in their OWN PARTY who voted for them in the Leadership Race/Primaries, and places it on the shoulders of everyone else.

You can't have a party embrace an idiot in the Leadership Race/Primaries, and then go and blame the other party because they didn't do a good enough job of beating them. If you had done a better job of snuffing out their ambitions at that stage, when it was all within your own party, he wouldn't be an issue in the general election, either.

It's like Dr. Frankenstein blaming the villagers for not catching the Monster fast enough.
It's the job of the party in power to deliver the best results possible. The Ontario Liberal Party hasn't done that. If they had, they would not be here. In this specific case, however the PC base chose a reasonable person in Patrick Brown. You can thank CTV News and Randy Hillier for what has happened since.

It's the job of the party in power to deliver the best results possible. The Ontario Liberal Party hasn't done that. If they had, they would not be here. In this specific case, however the PC base chose a reasonable person in Patrick Brown. You can thank CTV News and Randy Hillier for what has happened since.

I know a lot of Liberal supporters try to use semantics when we try to call them corrupt.

But it just feels like on multiple different fronts they were more interested in appeasing their party insiders and donors, that was more important then doing what is good for the people of Ontario (ex. Hydro One sale, windmills, etc.). It was only recently that they have taken a hard turn left, and they only did that because their re-election situation got desperate.

I know a lot of Liberal supporters try to use semantics when we try to call them corrupt.

But it just feels like on multiple different fronts they were more interested in appeasing their party insiders and donors, that was more important then doing what is good for the people of Ontario (ex. Hydro One sale, windmills, etc.). It was only recently that they have taken a hard turn left, and they only did that because their re-election situation got desperate.

"Corrupt" is an awkward term to use, because in the strictest sense it implies a breach of the Criminal Code and accepting explicit bribes.

The Liberals are everything you say they are, but they may never have accepted a dollar of bribes. They have enough other ways to serve themselves.

"Morally bankrupt and egregiously self serving" is the term I would substitute. It's a mouthful, but MBESS is a good enough acronym ;-)

- Paul

Back