News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 929     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Ford is unfolding better than any of us could ever have hoped. If other persuasions point out what a monster he is, it's like water off a dick...errr...duck. But when he fugs his own party, they start getting it.

Is there a Bruno Bellissimo connection to Warmington’s prison leak story?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...te-in-after-hours-jail-visit/article13707729/

Something about Wormington’s story seems off. I find it odd that a “columnist” seems to have resources than actual reporters don’t. It offered no new information, just reinforced what was already known, and it seems odd that a guy with (functional) autism so severe he barely talks is suddenly so chatty with strangers in prison. It wouldn’t surprise me if the story turns out to be fabricated.

As polls stand today, Doug Ford is positioned to win a Majority Government about a month from today. With that kind of power, no program or investment is safe. The decades long overdue transit investments are at serious risk. The Finch LRT will most likely be scuttled. The Waterfront transit reset will disappear. Progress we've made in environmental protections will likely vanish. The minimum wage increases will probably be rolled back. It's even been suggested that provincial laws will prevent Toronto from building complete streets that restrict cars, putting the King Street Pilot at risk. Heck, I fear for what may become of Ontario Place with Ford at the helm — probably sold off to private interests.

Like the 7,625 page Rob Ford's Toronto thread that I created a month before the October 25, 2010 election when it already appeared at the time that his election as Mayor was inevitable due to his opponents' splitting the vote, the PC's are on track to being elected with the Liberals and NDP fractioning Ford's opposition. I suspect that Doug's term as premier will in time prove to be similarly scandal prone given his criminal past and penchant for breaking rules.

What Toronto projects do you predict will be at risk? What provincial programs will be on the cutting block?

We already have one DF thread in the Toronto forum - don’t see the value in creating another. If anything we can just move it over to the non-Toronto politics forum.

Last edited:
This thread isn’t about the election. It’s about the post-election effects. And I have a feeling it’s going to be a long one.

I hope I’m wrong and the Ford opposition consolidates, defeats him and he disappears into obscurity but it doesn’t look promising.

Toronto has a lot to lose under a Ford at the head of our province. Far more than even Harris who’s negative effects are still felt in this city decades later.

Harris’ term started a decades long freeze in transit development, it broke the TTC by weighing it with operating costs and setting it back on state of good repair. Forced amalgamation put Toronto under suburban control and gave us Rob Ford. Harris was disastrous for our city.

The prospect of Doug Ford as Premier can very well set us back decades and usher in a serious decline in our city. We’re at a fragile moment in our history where we MUST absolutely solve our transit backlog and move away from a car centric society. We can not afford any more setbacks. The consequences are already being felt and they can become irreversible if the little progress we’ve just started to make is turned back.

So, please use this thread to speculate and discuss the consequences of a likely Ford administration rather than election commentary.

Last edited:
Then we should have a Andrea Horwath's Ontario.

I hope for that but I don't expect it. When I created the Rob Ford's Toronto thread, I could see the trajectory the election would go and expected Ford's competitors to fight amongst each other for the title of "anybody but Ford" candidate. Sadly, I'm almost certain that's what's going to happen here, seeing Horwath's campaigning style. She'll be fighting Wynne and if she gets even the slightest bit ahead, Wynne will be fighting Horwath. The effects of a Horwath government wouldn't be very consequential. Wynne has already been governing to the left of traditional Liberal platforms. Not much to discuss in such a thread. A likely Doug Ford election on the other hand has far reaching consequences worthy of discussion.

The decades long overdue transit investments are at serious risk.
The Liberals were in for a decade and a half - I guess you are blaming them.
The Waterfront transit reset will disappear.
The one with the funicular - I think that's a city project.
Progress we've made in environmental protections will likely vanish.
We've gone to the extreme - hopefully some common sense can be restored.
The minimum wage increases will probably be rolled back.
He specifically said he wouldn't.
It's even been suggested that provincial laws will prevent Toronto from building complete streets that restrict cars, putting the King Street Pilot at risk.
The pilot itself is the reason why King will be killed.
I suspect that Doug's term as premier will in time prove to be similarly scandal prone given his criminal past and penchant for breaking rules.
I imagine it will be similar to Rob. Doug doing the right thing and the press after him at every step - with the public approving. The question really is whether the press can drive Doug over the edge as well.

Without a doubt - at least we can say that Ford will be the best Ontario Premier in the past 15 years.

I imagine it will be similar to Rob. Doug doing the right thing and the press after him at every step - with the public approving. The question really is whether the press can drive Doug over the edge as well.

The press drove Rob "over the edge"? He was doing that all on his own before he ever sat in the mayor's chair. I guess the Star is responsible for his sarcoma too?

Without a doubt - at least we can say that Ford will be the best Ontario Premier in the past 15 years.

Groan.

Well, I hope circumstances spell an end to this thread 5 weeks from now. But I am not at all optimistic and can see this one becoming even more obese than its precursor.

The little hope that I have is that the Liberals appear calm and confident in private as much as they've projected in public. With their current numbers 20 points away from the PCs, you'd think they'd be panicking. There's speculation that they're going to drop a bomb on Doug gleaned from opposition research. If they do indeed have something, they're going to drop it a couple of weeks from election day, not now.

I'm sure Doug's closet is full of skeletons but I have the uneasy feeling that the worst of it will come to light after the election, while he's sitting in the Premier's office at Queens Park.

Back