News   Apr 24, 2024
 972     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

If you ask me, everyone should know how to hunt, forage, and cultivate their own food.

At a certain level this appeals to me, in the same way in which I admire the Japanese school lunch program which makes students take turns cooking and serving each other lunch.

I think it not merely a skill but an essential lesson in empathy towards others.

Though, I hasten to add, as someone who has made a living in environmental restoration, amongst other disciplines I would rather people not forage in the City.

There are somethings like raspberries where there likely wouldn't be much harm; though I'd be vaguely amused how many people mistake young mulberry for raspberry and end up with, ahem, digestive issues.

But, I digress, there is and would be an issue w/people picking wild ginger or wild leek or fiddleheads in the City, the plants are vastly outnumbered by local people and would quickly become extirpated (locally extinct) .

I should add, this would apply to deer or even rabbit if one actually had the chutzpah to go for hunting in urban areas. (I know fairly accurately how many deer are in this city most days, and it isn't enough to feed a fraction of food bank users, even if you wiped them all out)

Still its a good skill to have in principle, if for no other reason than to remind people all food (including plants) were alive, and their harvest, is hard work, totally apart from any empathy one may feel towards the animal (or plant) in question.

Last edited:
There are somethings like raspberries where there likely wouldn't be much harm; though I'd be vaguely amused how many people mistake young mulberry for raspberry and end up with, ahem, digestive issues.

Experience is the best teacher innit.

I don't suggest anyone hunt or forage in densely populated areas, merely that knowing how to feed yourself seems like an important skill to have. It's sort of related to how people don't bother trying to learn about where their food comes from as if it originates at their local grocer's. I've described to people how one might slaughter a sheep or chicken only to be told that they don't want to hear about it, presumably because they like to have their cake and eat it too (and not know where the cake came from).

Speaking of hunting deer in Toronto....I know a guy who does. In Scarborough. He's a bit of a nutter though.

I don't suggest anyone hunt or forage in densely populated areas, merely that knowing how to feed yourself seems like an important skill to have. It's sort of related to how people don't bother trying to learn about where their food comes from as if it originates at their local grocer's. I've described to people how one might slaughter a sheep or chicken only to be told that they don't want to hear about it, presumably because they like to have their cake and eat it too (and not know where the cake came from).

Speaking of hunting deer in Toronto....I know a guy who does. In Scarborough. He's a bit of a nutter though.

As with other threads, I could tell good stories, and am happy to where there's no or little risk of harm. But I hesitate to tell people everything I run across, as for every sensibly offend soul there are some who think you're giving them a how-to.

PS @MTown and @AlvinofDiaspar do keep up on conversations! LOL

At a certain level this appeals to me, in the same way i which I admire the Japanese school lunch program which makes students take turns cooking and serving each other lunch....

Reminds me of Stephen Miller, a senior policy advisor in Donald Trump's White House. There is a video which shows him in high school getting upset at having to clean up litter or garbage that missed the containers. He wanted the janitorial staff to do that instead of the students who made the mess in the first place.

There would be some students and parents who would be upset at having their precious children actually make lunch for the rest of the students.

In Toronto, Queens Park staffer Jesse Spindler won the Liberal nomination in St. Pauls, and TCSDB trustee Jo-Ann Davis won the nomination in University-Rosedale.

Spindler is a shoe-in for St. Paul's, and barring an absolute Liberal collapse, I imagine the Liberals will win in University-Rosedale.

In Toronto Centre, it seems like the two favorites for the Liberal nomination are Trans activist Rachel Lauren Clark and Liberal staffer David Morris. The NDP candidate Suze Morrison seems impressive and might be able to pull off an upset now that Rosedale has been 'chopped off' from the riding.

Last edited:
The Liberals could nominate a mailbox and it would win University-Rosedale.

It's not unthinkable that in the event of an Ignatieff-level collapse that the NDP could eek out a win in University-Rosedale. Many pockets of the riding like Little Italy, Seaton Village, Harbord Village and The Annex have Dipper voters. Spadina Fort York, which is south of Dundas, is a much stronger Liberal territory.

Spadina Fort York had Rosario Marchese for a number of years. Han Dong, the current incumbent, is strong and I think well-liked, but he could lose on the wave of Liberal hate.

A slanted opinion piece, but the chart is interesting- even in Quebec, which has the same manufacturing-heavy economy as Ontario, their poverty rates dropped.

Ontario's poverty numbers are growing again — the opposite of the rest of Canada

0426poverty.jpg

http://business.financialpost.com/o...wing-again-the-opposite-of-the-rest-of-canada

Someone baited a deer in Whitby and killed it, and I've heard of someone doing it in the Markham and Kingston Road area, although in that case I haven't heard anything in a couple of years.

I don't know about that. I would suggest that it's what Andrew Lawton believes. I wonder if he knows how to hunt and kill his own food. Weird that he didn't mention growing your own crops and foraging.

If you ask me, everyone should know how to hunt, forage, and cultivate their own food. Forcing people to learn these skills is supremely autocratic though. No thanks. Besides, I'm already skilled in self-sufficiency. Maybe I should go hunting with Andrew Lawton up north somewhere, see who's more "useful" (or whatever he was implying).

Doug is picking the most right wing candidates he can find. Then there is the sex-ed lady, who will become minister of health or education...

Back