News   Mar 28, 2024
 443     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 732     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Do you really think any of the LRT lines that are being built will be immune to any of that? Look at Eglinton. The platforms are low floor, and there are no third rails, basically asking for people to walk tunnels. That is sure to cause future delays.

Maybe the NDP "government" would supply the needed funds for platform screen doors. Not just for Eglinton, but for all underground electric railways in Toronto.

I see Metrolinx has been taking some pointers from Bombardier. Clearly on-time project delivery isn't the strong suit of either organization. This is now the third missed deadline from Metrolinx, culminating in five years of delays.
Five years?

The Ontario government promised opening of this project, all the way to Yonge Street in 2013, with construction starting in 2010, when they first announced it in April 2009.

That's ten years of delay. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

Other highlights were the Eglinton line ALL THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT complete by 2016 and the SRT rebuild and extension to at least Sheppard by 2015.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

Five years?

The Ontario government promised opening of this project, all the way to Yonge Street in 2013, with construction starting in 2010, when they first announced it in April 2009.

That's ten years of delay. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

Other highlights were the Eglinton line ALL THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT complete by 2016 and the SRT rebuild and extension to at least Sheppard by 2015.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/04/02/gta_transit_gets_9b_jumpstart.html

Well, yes, I was only counting the delays after the Council reaffirmed their support for the Finch West LRT, after Rob Ford's failed attempt to circumvent Council to have it canceled.

The mismanagement of this project has been legendary. It's one thing for there to be delays during construction due to factors largely out of the government's hand (such as a contractor dropping the ball, or a major accident). It's a completely different thing to be totally unable to even begin major construction work for several years, as we've seen with Metrolinx's handling of Finch West LRT.

Well, yes, I was only counting the delays after the Council reaffirmed their support for the Finch West LRT, after Rob Ford's failed attempt to circumvent Council to have it canceled.

The mismanagement of this project has been legendary. It's one thing for there to be delays during construction due to factors largely out of the government's hand (such as a contractor dropping the ball, or a major accident). It's a completely different thing to be totally unable to even begin major construction work for several years, as we've seen with Metrolinx's handling of Finch West LRT.

And what do you think will happen when his brother is voted in as Premier.

Do you really think any of the LRT lines that are being built will be immune to any of that? Look at Eglinton. The platforms are low floor, and there are no third rails, basically asking for people to walk tunnels. That is sure to cause future delays.

It's really not that hard to get down to track level on the existing subway system. Gravity helps that, in fact. How often do you hear about trespassers at track level?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's really not that hard to get down to track level on the existing subway system. Gravity helps that, in fact. How often do you hear about trespassers at track level?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It'll be more advantageous when the tracks don't require stepping more than a foot down and there's no danger of a third rail to kill you. I fear for future operations.

Totally anecdotal, but in years of using the 510 Spadina and 512 St Clair, I can’t recall a single instance of people standing on the streetcar tracks at Union, Queens Quay, Spadina or St Clair Stations. In fact, the one and only time I’ve seen someone on track level was at Lawrence West Subway station. So I don’t think that this will be a real major issue.

Totally anecdotal, but in years of using the 510 Spadina and 512 St Clair, I can’t recall a single instance of people standing on the streetcar tracks at Union, Queens Quay, Spadina or St Clair Stations. In fact, the one and only time I’ve seen someone on track level was at Lawrence West Subway station. So I don’t think that this will be a real major issue.

Maybe not at the stops or stations.

Or maybe a barrier along at the retail strips along Finch.
F113_4552.jpg

From link.

Last edited:
what about the overcrowding and constant closures, delays?

Depends what subway line and where they are on it.

Closures will end at the end of 2019 with the completion of the signalling upgrade, and with the upgrade will come much better reliability and less delays.

Closures will end at the end of 2019 with the completion of the signalling upgrade, and with the upgrade will come much better reliability and less delays.

For Line 1. See link. Then they'll start or continue on Line 2 for Automatic Train Control (ATC).

I imagine we'll see a decade of closures to install ATC on Line 2 after that.

I imagine we'll see a decade of closures to install ATC on Line 2 after that.
It won't take that long cause they time TTC would have experience with the installation plus they will build a new yard with ATO oppose to an upgrade to the existing yard. If the separate the line in 4 chucks, it should only take 4-5 years.

It will be an expensive project as they'll have to replace all the T1's, acquire and build new yard plus the ATO system itself.

Back