News   Apr 24, 2024
 702     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 919     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

That is essentially what is happening, most of the double tracking contracts have been issued or will be issued in the next 12 months. Electrification is still 2+ years from closing.

It's nice to see progress on the double tracking, so credit where it's due, but it's been Lakeshore and the Forgotten Five for so long it's hard not to be a bit bitter about past decisions.

I realize RER sells well as a political issue, but I always felt like we should have simply focused 100% of our energies on track doubling and tripling first.

Then once all the GO lines were doubled/tripled (depending on express service) focus on electrification.
I so agree with this. Metrolinx put the cart before the horse.
That is essentially what is happening, most of the double tracking contracts have been issued or will be issued in the next 12 months. Electrification is still 2+ years from closing.
But what about brampton? This seems to be all about York Region. Why are they hiding behind overpaying CN so they can kick the can down the road?

Last edited:
News Release

All-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Coming to Communities Across GTHA
March 26, 2018

Ontario Moving Forward with Building or Upgrading More than 30 Stations
Ontario is taking a major step forward in bringing more all-day, two-way GO train service to families and commuters in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), with new stations and upgrades across the GO network.

Transportation Minister Kathryn McGarry was at Union Station today to announce that Ontario is moving ahead with the next phase of work to build the province's GO Regional Express Rail (RER) system.

Ontario has already increased GO train service by more than 70 per cent, adding approximately 800 more train trips every week across the GO network than there were in 2013. To continue to bring major service improvements, in the coming weeks the province will launch the process to design and build six new GO stations and six new City of Toronto SmartTrack stations, as well as upgrades and improvements to over 20 existing GO stations, including major renovations to station buildings, new bus loops, digital signage, and other enhancements. The province will also move forward with the procurement of new maintenance facilities, trains, tracks, and other infrastructure necessary to increase GO service.

Ontario's GO RER program is the largest rail project in Canada, and will transform the way people travel to and from work, school, and appointments. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network will grow from about 1,100 in 2013 to nearly 6,000 by 2025, with more all-day, two-way, 15-minute electrified GO service for commuters and families across the region.

Ontario's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

News Release

All-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Coming to Communities Across GTHA
March 26, 2018

Ontario Moving Forward with Building or Upgrading More than 30 Stations
Ontario is taking a major step forward in bringing more all-day, two-way GO train service to families and commuters in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), with new stations and upgrades across the GO network.

Transportation Minister Kathryn McGarry was at Union Station today to announce that Ontario is moving ahead with the next phase of work to build the province's GO Regional Express Rail (RER) system.

Ontario has already increased GO train service by more than 70 per cent, adding approximately 800 more train trips every week across the GO network than there were in 2013. To continue to bring major service improvements, in the coming weeks the province will launch the process to design and build six new GO stations and six new City of Toronto SmartTrack stations, as well as upgrades and improvements to over 20 existing GO stations, including major renovations to station buildings, new bus loops, digital signage, and other enhancements. The province will also move forward with the procurement of new maintenance facilities, trains, tracks, and other infrastructure necessary to increase GO service.

Ontario's GO RER program is the largest rail project in Canada, and will transform the way people travel to and from work, school, and appointments. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network will grow from about 1,100 in 2013 to nearly 6,000 by 2025, with more all-day, two-way, 15-minute electrified GO service for commuters and families across the region.

Ontario's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

So complete non-news.

"We are going to do, what we said we were going to do" said the minister.

No direct commitments on new service this year, not even a funding figure for GO's next fiscal year.

Sigh.

A play straight out of the Del Duca playbook.

So complete non-news.

"We are going to do, what we said we were going to do" said the minister.

No direct commitments on new service this year, not even a funding figure for GO's next fiscal year.

Sigh.

A play straight out of the Del Duca playbook.
The thing I hate the most about these announcements are the restating of the "Ontario is investing $21.3 billion to transform GO Transit from a commuter transit service to a regional rapid transit system" fact every single time. What I want is an exact value (or estimate) of what it costs specifically for that individual announcement.

The thing I hate the most about these announcements are the restating of the "Ontario is investing $21.3 billion to transform GO Transit from a commuter transit service to a regional rapid transit system" fact every single time. What I want is an exact value (or estimate) of what it costs specifically for that individual announcement.
But how could that tell you that prior to a financial close? Heck, the RFQs haven't been announced yet, so the dollar figure you are looking for won't be known for at least 18 months.

When asked about weekend services on Stouffville Line, the generic vanilla response from GO
Screenshot_2018-03-26-19-04-54.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-26-19-04-54.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-26-19-04-54.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 327
Counter peak service would be really good right about now. I need to be downtown for 6:3o p.m. But Etobicoke North won't do anything for me. Instead, I'll have to park at Wilson station and take the hour long Line 1 milk run. Google Maps says Wilson to King will take 30 minutes which is a filthy lie. I long for the days of frequent 2WAD and counter peak trains connecting with BRTs and LRTs whizzing through dedicated right of ways so I can get around without my car.

Back