Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The Just for Men is a temporary activation until April 30th. Marketing, and not permanent....The York Concourse sometimes can be visually overwhelming with all these interactive screens and LED, espeically with the partnership it has with TD....
Below is the latest pics.
From your photo:
lower-jpg.138067

This photo of yours looks nice as long as it's a solid color or a very professional color program (like calm & soothing slow aqua flow that's almost imperceptibly slow, or the indirect-light effects of gentle shadow flicker of a tree blowing in the wind -- the thoughtfully programmed stuff in the world's best light programmings).

I hope they don't display cacophonic stuff on these color-programmable lights. That said, lighting programs can be abused -- so that's a consideration. Programming and moderation is key (e.g. special days, special hours). Peak-period-friendly too -- don't display disco lightshow stuff during peak, please.

From your photo:

This photo of yours looks nice as long as it's a solid color or a very professional color program (like calm & soothing slow aqua flow that's almost imperceptibly slow, or the indirect-light effects of gentle shadow flicker of a tree blowing in the wind -- the thoughtfully programmed stuff in the world's best light programmings).

I hope they don't display cacophonic stuff on these color-programmable lights. That said, lighting programs can be abused -- so that's a consideration. Programming and moderation is key (e.g. special days, special hours). Peak-period-friendly too -- don't display disco lightshow stuff during peak, please.

Oh geez mdrejhon...now that you mentioned it, the colors change on a 30 sec cycle and it was just at the moment I caught the green as it cycled through a pink, purple and whatever mood somewhat set it on...

Last edited:
^^ That must have been the gravel-like spot I saw! Though up close it looks to be not quite gravel. Round pebbles.
Anyways, I'm glad to see that's the extent of it, and that there's way more progress than I thought.

I noticed today that the last section of (new) terrazzo floor in the VIA area is now finished and they are busily polishing all of this floor - the sections they have finished polishing look pretty good. At this rate I think the whole of the VIA area should be done in 6-8 weeks as they continue to make progress on the 'waiting room alcoves' on both sides of the main passage way too.

Hopefully related to the unfinished ceiling work in Front St. Promenade

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 18 133143 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Mar 23, 2018
Project: Transit Station,Subway, Bus Terminal
Work: Interior Alterations
Description:
Proposal for interior alterations for the removal of existing mall corridor ceiling, sprinkler system alterations, temporary lighting, and HVAC and life safety modifications within proposed market area. (Zone 5B - Market Area)

December 14 2087

Sounds about right.

But in all seriousness, was the initial plan to open the York foodcourt at the same time as the Bay Concourse? Is that why they're taking their time?

Or is it just the usual incompetent project planning by the city and Metrolinx?

Hopefully related to the unfinished ceiling work in Front St. Promenade

It sounds like the York Concourse. I am thinking they had an issue with the fire suppression system and ventilation for the restaurant spaces. Nothing worse than a ineffective life safety system.

Essentially, without a fully function life safety system (including HVAC, Fire Suppression, and lighting) you could have a mishap in one of the restaurant spaces spiral out of control and burn down Union Station.

Though these Reports have been note here before, it may be helpful to repeat them

This is from the May 2017 Project Status Update (To Government Management Committee) https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-103901.pdf

Substantial Completion of Stage 2/3 currently expected in February 2018 (excluding York and Bay Street moat covers; mid 2018), which includes the restoration of the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas and East Wing exterior façade. This will trigger the turnover of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx for final fixturing. After this time, the City will have no control of the actual timing of the opening of the Bay Concourse to the public.

Then this in January 2018 to Budget Committee.
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-111661.pdf

However, the changes, resequencing and additional project requirements of Metrolinx's track level work is delaying the City's completion of its base building work on the revitalized Bay Concourse and lower level retail. This is delaying the USRP by 8 to 12 months, with a revised expected substantial completion shifting from early 2018 to the end of 2018. Both organizations are committed to working together to mitigate both schedule and budget impacts. Staff will be reviewing all changes to also assess any lost revenues or other cost impacts and will seek to make recoveries where applicable. and

Future Milestones Planned

Remainder of Stage 2/3, which includes the Bay Concourse, is currently expected to be completed by late 2018. This will trigger the turnover of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx to facilitate the fit out and completion of the concourse for future public access. It should be noted that upon the turnover and official sale of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx for final fit-out, Metrolinx will determine the actual opening of the Concourse.
Substantial Completion of Stage 2/3 was previously expected in February 2018 (excluding York and Bay Street moat covers), which includes the restoration of the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas and East Wing exterior façade. The York and Bay moat covers were expected to be completed in mid-2018.

Back