Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

Ouch ! ! I was being serious when this building is finished with all those floors, it will look like it's top heavy ! I know it's braced well, but with the podium floors being higher than the top floors. There's more concrete and steal on the top. Not to mention the concrete slab before the top floors begin. And the thought of no solid walls on the podium below it, just glass makes you wonder ! !

Now we are, after a year of stagnation. I know it's complex engineering etc, but I have a friend who bought here, and his occupancy date has already been pushed multiple times, so it was almost surely longer than they planned as well.

I have never talked to a single person who purchased a pre-construction condo who's occupancy date hasn't been pushed back multiple times.

Ouch ! ! I was being serious when this building is finished with all those floors, it will look like it's top heavy ! I know it's braced well, but with the podium floors being higher than the top floors. There's more concrete and steal on the top. Not to mention the concrete slab before the top floors begin. And the thought of no solid walls on the podium below it, just glass makes you wonder ! !

None of what you said makes sense.... Go back in the thread and look at the early pictures of the structure. The bottom half of the building is all steel and concrete.

Today

P1060291.JPG
P1060290.JPG

Attachments

• P1060291.JPG
    P1060291.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 476
  • P1060290.JPG
    P1060290.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 490
This one is gonna be considerably taller than anything else in the area. I like the thought of another peak in our skyline! Hopefully it inspires new projects and the other proposals at the intersection start moving forward.

For a tower with such an interesting structural solution behind it (and formerly a very interesting cladding on its exterior), it's incredible the lengths they apparently went to in order to keep it as bland as possible. Its bones make for an interesting and storied project, but its expression suggests it's an everybuilding.

Don't see how it qualified as bland myself. Thing looks very sleek and modern in the flesh. Not a flash of architectural brilliance by any means but far from a stodgy clunker. Very respectable thus far and I expect it to be more commanding and assured as it rises.

Back