Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Small lobbies are a thing as they are rarely used as more than a pass through space and downtown's smaller and smaller sites demand sacrifices to make a building function.. if you choose between a large lobby and the elimination of all retail, planners tend to prefer some retail. Now of course there is less of an excuse here as the size of the building and the size of the site places a greater need on a larger lobby and means there is no excuse not to provide one.

If the elevator lobby was wider, you would lose at least 2 suites per floor up to and including the 38th floor. However, it is indeed an issue with crowding.

Can't recall anyone posting the retail plans.
These are dated Dec 2017:

cbdtfIw.jpg

https://fcr.ca/portfolio-leasing/view/C1B123

DOhur3S.jpg

nUFPE4a.jpg

The units lining the corridor look a bit different in real life as-built.
I think the drywall walls on both sides are temporary walls - with future retail units behind them.

Hallway from Yonge to the subway is open:

View attachment 134352

View attachment 134353

I live here and I agree that it is too narrow. After work from 3-7 pm, you have to physically move out of the way when someone is coming out of the elevators opposite of you because there is nowhere else to stand.

I think too much of the lobby space was given up in exchange for the retail. The lobby was mentioned as a concern at the building meeting and the head of GG essentially said that no one wants lobbies anymore because it costs too much to maintain and that's why it's so small. I think that's a cheap excuse and I'm glad I didn't buy, this experience has soured me to the developers.

I found it hard to buy the excuse of a wider, passive elevator lobby costing too much to maintain relative to a 2 level amenity space.

AoD

If the elevator lobby was wider, you would lose at least 2 suites per floor up to and including the 38th floor. However, it is indeed an issue with crowding.

uh... having another 200 sq ft of space is 2 suites less per floor? didn't know there were 70+ 100-sq ft units in this building...

To be fair, we don't know how good the amenities are because they are still not open, last I heard they will open at the end of March- first two weeks of April

i did a walk through a little while ago and everything looked (and sounded) amazing... even though it was still under messy construction...

Small lobbies are a thing as they are rarely used as more than a pass through space and downtown's smaller and smaller sites demand sacrifices to make a building function.. if you choose between a large lobby and the elimination of all retail, planners tend to prefer some retail. Now of course there is less of an excuse here as the size of the building and the size of the site places a greater need on a larger lobby and means there is no excuse not to provide one.

i agree. although i feel like we are conflating "front lobby" with "elevator lobby"... i'm comfortable with the super tiny front lobby & security desk & 3 stools by the bloor st. entrance, but the corridor where people wait for and get on/off elevators is just fire-hazard level puny...

i agree. although i feel like we are conflating "front lobby" with "elevator lobby"... i'm comfortable with the super tiny front lobby & security desk & 3 stools by the bloor st. entrance, but the corridor where people wait for and get on/off elevators is just fire-hazard level puny...

I loved the splendor of the X Condo lobby, in terms of a timeless style and design. I agree that at this location the One Bloor lobby doesn't need to be as expansive but certainly, there could have been more space for the elevators.

uh... having another 200 sq ft of space is 2 suites less per floor? didn't know there were 70+ 100-sq ft units in this building...
I'm not sure how the lower level suites are laid out but it most certainly would change the suite designs. It will reduce the size of some. The fact is, creating more space between the elevators will have an impact up to and including the 38th floor. On another note, the crowding around the elevators seems to happen when the elevators experience a delay. That is, we are not informed when they are put on service or having issues. One elevator down causes major delays.

As a person who rents at the Madison, I find the lobby so well-designed that people (residents and visitors) end up wanting to hang out there. It's nice to have a lobby that is conducive to social interactions or even a place to hang out while waiting on your uber etc. Definitely from a buyer's standpoint, a lobby is an important consideration as you see it everytime you walk in the building. The lobby design at 1 bloor would irritate me every time lol

upload_2018-3-16_17-29-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-16_17-29-42.png
    upload_2018-3-16_17-29-42.png
    833.4 KB · Views: 648
Last edited by a moderator:

Back