Vaughan LiUNA Local 183 Headquarters | ?m | 6s | LIUNA | Diamond Schmitt

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
vjznBPa.jpg

LiUNA-Local-183-exterior-01-union-office-631x430.jpg

https://www.building.ca/building/office-diamond-schmitt-vaughan/1003739084/

Diamond Schmitt Architects has been selected to design a landmark multi-use building for a new urban precinct in the City of Vaughan. It will house offices and amenity space for the largest construction local union in North America.

A highly transparent glazing system distinguishes the approximately 295,000-square-foot headquarters for the Labourers’ International Union of North America (LiUNA) Local 183. The building comprises a six-storey tower and three-storey wing that sits dramatically on an Assembly Hall, which is buried in the landscape. This assemblage provides views and visual connection to a large landscaped forecourt designed for social gathering.

“The project creates an urban sense of place in a currently undifferentiated agricultural environment and, as the first building in a larger master plan, establishes a high standard for future developments,” said David Dow, Principal, Diamond Schmitt Architects.

The project comprises an office wing, a large Assembly Hall and an array of Member’s Services that may include medical clinic facilities, a pharmacy, financial services, training classrooms and recreational facilities for retired members. The Assembly Hall will have capacity to accommodate 3,000 diners.

The building is designed as an innovative and distinctive headquarters for Local 183. Large contiguous floor plates facilitate the varied requirements of a dynamic and contemporary working environment and provide a fresh identity for an established institution.

The soft landscaping will extend up and over top of the Assembly Hall with access to portions of the building’s rooftops. This unique amenity activates the outdoor space to socialize in a protected microclimate and supports the project’s LEED Silver sustainability goals for storm water retention and heat island reduction.

This active facility will have a strong street presence along an expanded Huntington Road with points of entry to underground and at grade parking from three sides. New public roads to the west and south boundaries of the site and an extension of Highway 427 prime the area for future development.

The project is to break ground in the fall of 2018 with a targeted opening date of 2020.

https://dsai.ca/projects/liuna-office-building/

Diamond Schmitt Architects has been selected to design a landmark multi-use building for a new urban precinct in the City of Vaughan. It will house offices and amenity space for the largest construction local union in North America.

A highly transparent glazing system distinguishes the approximately 295,000-square-foot headquarters for the Labourers’ International Union of North America (LiUNA) Local 183. The building comprises a six-storey tower and three-storey wing that sits dramatically on an Assembly Hall, which is buried in the landscape. This assemblage provides views and visual connection to a large landscaped forecourt designed for social gathering. Large contiguous floor plates facilitate the varied requirements of a dynamic and contemporary working environment and provide a fresh identity for an established institution.

The soft landscaping will extend up and over top of the Assembly Hall with access to portions of the building’s rooftops. This unique amenity activates the outdoor space to socialize in a protected microclimate and supports the project’s LEED Silver sustainability goals for storm water retention and heat island reduction.

so it's somewhere along the 427 extension.. Suburban office space at its prime. Wonder what the exact location is.

Cranes are up and construction is underway on this one. I drove here to grab some pics, but then a funny story occurred. The ditch was deeper than I anticipated when I pulled over and I got my car stuck. But I was fortunate because a YRP officer happened to be passing by and he helped push me out. More excitement than I bargained for!

Cranes are up and construction is underway on this one. I drove here to grab some pics, but then a funny story occurred. The ditch was deeper than I anticipated when I pulled over and I got my car stuck. But I was fortunate because a YRP officer happened to be passing by and he helped push me out. More excitement than I bargained for!
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but how many cranes?!?! Please get your car stuck there again, but this time, photos! 🤪

From LiUNA's IG:

View attachment 436891View attachment 436892View attachment 436893View attachment 436894
Thanks for posting that @AlbertC… that means 4 cranes come out of the crane count. Thant's a lot of crane! Also, cool low-rise section. I'm thinking Aztec, maybe?

Thanks for posting that @AlbertC… that means 4 cranes come out of the crane count. Thant's a lot of crane! Also, cool low-rise section. I'm thinking Aztec, maybe?

I was thinking Jimmy Hoffa's tomb...but that's the wrong union. 🙀

Back