Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

Looks somewhat similar to what was used on the Paris courthouse but maybe a little more tactile? Curtainwall over a metallic cladding of some sort on the south face?

Similar to what's on the northwest corner of the Whitney?
source

You could be right. But after @p5connex pointing out the similarities to Toronto Courthouse I'm wondering if this could in fact be a stone-clad building too. Whereas Toronto Courthouse uses Queenston and Indiana Limestone, perhaps this one could be something along those lines. Either way this looks pretty good and a proper throwback to Modernism. Also like that spire jabbing through the roof.

Here is the new courthouse in context:

oBbZW9l.png

You can see that it will be prominently visible from Nathan Phillips Square, towering above the Superior Court of Justice and also visible in the space between City Hall and the Superior Court of Justice. It will be visible from University Avenue from some perspectives. These are among the most important public spaces the city has. This project is an opportunity to make these spaces more singular and distinguished.

One of the most important parts of courthouse design is the public entrance, that it conveys dignity, gravitas and a sense of permanence to those entering. The older courthouses from the 1800s do this quite well (even if the logistics of the older buildings are changing).

I think this design, unlike many of the modern courthouses in Ontario, hits the mark. It might not make an impact on the skyline, but it looks like it will be appropriately impressive to those entering from the street.

I also like the clean, simple, modern lines which should give it an air of timelessness.

Even those who are not excited by this design ought to agree that it is a cut well above Ontario's other newer courthouses like Brampton and Oshawa.

Last edited:
One of the most important parts of courthouse design is the public entrance, that it conveys dignity, gravitas and a sense of permanence to those entering. The older courthouses from the 1800s do this quite well (even if the logistics of the older buildings are changing).
I also like the clean, simple, modern lines which should give it an air of timelessness.

Yes indeed - also, the expectations in the administration of justice has changed - authority, dignity and permanence (also negative values - e.g. exclusivity) exemplified in the courthouses of the old also need to be reconciled with contemporary values such as transparency, accessibility and legibility/openness - and this building hit the spots.

AoD

Last edited:
You can see that it will be prominently visible from Nathan Phillips Square, towering above the Superior Court of Justice and also visible in the space between City Hall and the Superior Court of Justice. It will be visible from University Avenue from some perspectives. These are among the most important public spaces the city has. This project is an opportunity to make these spaces more singular and distinguished.

It should block the view of some pretty subpar buildings currently visible from the square. There's also a of concrete in this area so lighter architecture with an intricate and polished finish should make for a nice contrast. While the older court building across the street is exclusionary and presents a heavy wall, the large airy lobby of the new building opens up nicely to the street. I'm not thrilled it's a square- but I generally like the scale. I think the highlight will be the interiors though.

Not sure if mentioned already, but I just realized this building will be visible all the way down York Street from the lake. I wonder if the spire/flagpole takes this into account and will be dead centre down that vista?

Back