Toronto 64 Prince Arthur | 46.1m | 13s | Forgestone | RAW Design

"For crying out loud"? Please. They are architects and interior designers, but is there some bizarre, misplaced snobbery in your question, or did you just do a poor research job?

Hmm, that's ill-judged. They have some more average buildings, sure, but they also have a pile of beautiful designs that lots of UT members would be thrilled to have in Toronto (including this one, I'd say—not that I'm convinced of 29 storeys here, not sure what height I'd peg this a yet…).

Anyway, CetraRuddy-wise, line 'em up for some more Toronto projects if I can have some of this voluptuous sidewalk presence somewhere here please:

4_CR_PROJECT_HOMEPAGE_0.jpg

Lincoln Square Synagogue Source

Or if Toronto were more tropical I'd be happy with some of this simple but vibrant geometry on the skyline…

04_7.jpg

LA Residential Tower Source

Anyway, we have a compelling design here, and I hope that by the time it gets its approvals, it still looks something like this:

28616-99107.jpg

They aren't Pritzker prize winners. They haven't won anything of significance when it comes to architectural design. Perhaps it is you that should be doing a better job at research or, at minimum, don't throw around the term "stararchitect" so loosely for an average expressionist tower. It's compelling only because it's different. A dozen, two dozen more (which Toronto's market could easily provide) and I guarantee the forum won't find it nearly as compelling. Afterall, Dubai seldom surfaces here for inspiration. This is commonplace there.

(and bypass the planning dept and the Councillor)

This discussion restarted in response to last night's public consultation, which was attended by the councillor and representatives from Planning.

Pandering game going strong:

upload_2018-2-22_11-44-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-22_11-44-42.png
    upload_2018-2-22_11-44-42.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 523
Some nice-looking high-rises in that shot. Did you take the subway there? It's right around the corner.

The subway is so convenient! As a neighborhood resident who also works in the hood, I actually walk down this street every morning, but do use the subway several times a week.

Prince Arthur is a nice street that can easily handle a few more residents. In fact, I think many streets in the Annex can. So many people in the Annex live in high rise buildings! Did you know that 51% of Annex dwellings are in tall buildings?

This development proposal is in a neighborhood full of people who live in tall buildings.

This development proposal is in a neighborhood full of people who live in tall buildings.

My recent favourite Annex NIMBY admission came in the last 300 Bloor West consultation, when a cranky old NIMBY proclaimed the Annex should be held to a 3- or 4-storey height limit and then proceeded to reveal that she lives on the 8th floor of an Annex apartment building.

This is gold! Definitely made my day.

My recent favourite Annex NIMBY admission came in the last 300 Bloor West consultation, when a cranky old NIMBY proclaimed the Annex should be held to a 3- or 4-storey height limit and then proceeded to reveal that she lives on the 8th floor of an Annex apartment building.

Original mid-rise is acceptable, but this 29s plan is way too big given the lot size and its surrounding conditions.

Original mid-rise is acceptable, but this 29s plan is way too big given the lot size and its surrounding conditions.
Surrounding conditions like how it's right next to a 20-storey building and 100 metres from a subway station? Those kinds of surrounding conditions?

Is it though? In terms of neighbourhood shock, I am fairly certain the slabs (calling them mid-rise by early 2000 definition - even though they are pushing the upper end) represents far more of a fundamental change than this proposal.

AoD

Is it though? In terms of neighbourhood shock, I am fairly certain the slabs (calling them mid-rise by early 2000 definition - even though they are pushing the upper end) represents far more of a shock than this proposal.

AoD
Anyone have an FSI comparison of 64 vs 50 Prince Arthur handy? That's a pretty hefty slab

That census doc linked from a poster above is actually kind of fascinating, and it would've been great to have some of those stats on-hand to speak up in favour of greater density at the public consult.

Here are two facts about the Annex: 81% of Annex residents live in apartment buildings, and most Annex residents live in buildings that are 5 storeys or taller.

https://www.toronto.ca/ext/sdfa/Neighbourhood Profiles/pdf/2016/pdf1/cpa95.pdf

Back