News   Apr 19, 2024
 263     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 533     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 899     3 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

To be honest, I would give the Liberal one more term, so GO RER can move further that no party can cancel it.

Other than Doug Ford, I'm not worried about GO RER with any other candidate. There's votes in the 905. And GO RER can help them win those. If not this election, than the one after. Every line that is 'RER'd' if you will, can get whoever is in power a solid electoral boost in 2022. I'd be far more worried about Toronto's LRTs under the PCs.

Imagine this:

Doug Ford is chosen as leader of the Ontario PC's. He narrowly defeats Kathleen Wynne's Liberals and Andrea Horwath's NDP. His transit plan is "subways, subways, subways," and he halts any work on the Finch West LRT and changes it to a subway. The LRT is currently forecasted to have 2,800 riders pphpd, and a subway built at every major intersection would have possibly less. Line 4 has around 5,000 pphpd. Could there be a chance this (terrible) scenario would happen?

Far more likely is that the LRT simply does not get built. They promise a subway at some point in the future. And then get on to building the Relief Line and Scarborough Subway when they realize that the city won't cooperate on any other subway. Also, they need the DRL to push the real vote getting subway extension: Yonge North.

To be honest, I would give the Liberal one more term, so GO RER can move further that no party can cancel it.

2 words. GAS PLANT.

All docs can be signed and the building can be going up but at least one party will do anything to get elected once more.

2 words. GAS PLANT.

All docs can be signed and the building can be going up but at least one party will do anything to get elected once more.
I don't know. Not many people would like to have gas plants in their neighbourhood, yet most people presumably would like to have better transit near home. So in the case of transit, building, not cancelling will be a vote buying move.

The Libs are infallible. They can do no wrong. Meanwhile the Tories are criticized for rooting out their flawed leader before the media and their opponents do. What gives?

2 words. GAS PLANT.

You must have forgotten Eglinton West then.

The Libs are infallible. They can do no wrong. Meanwhile the Tories are criticized for rooting out their flawed leader before the media and their opponents do. What gives?

Only one can spin a palace coup into a virtue.

AoD

I'm not happy with the Liberals and want to see them lose badly in the next election. There has been zero accountability for their scandals. This is the only way we have to make them pay for it (and they deserve to pay for it).

I think they are actually too slow on transit improvements based on their promises from the last election. They love to study the shit out of everything (or at least they use studies as smokescreens to stretch out project implementation).

But the Conservatives are making it next to impossible for me to vote for them. They don't look like they are ready to lead Ontario. And if they elect Ford as leader I will not vote for them.

If Brown as is corrupt as they claim, why did they support him for years?

I agree, it's going to be very difficult to vote for the Conservatives.

If Brown as is corrupt as they claim, why did they support him for years?

I agree, it's going to be very difficult to vote for the Conservatives.

And it's not just Brown. If the problems go as deep as they say many others are complicit, and short of a full police investigation there's no way to know who. I don't want to vote for the Liberals either, but at least with them we already know what we're getting, and at least we know that they'll likely stay the course regarding their transit strategy.

I don't particularly like Horvath, but I would like to hear the NDP and the Green party get a lot more vocal and a lot more press time.

I don't particularly like Horvath, but I would like to hear the NDP and the Green party get a lot more vocal and a lot more press time.

I was initially inclined to firmly reject the Greens, even for my occasional throwaway vote, with what Liz May has become. But the Ontario Greens actually seem to be better than their national counterparts.

Which ones?
The big one that I can remember from the last election was Kitchener GO service. Glen Murray promised all day 15min GO service to Kitchener within "5 years" ... which would be 2019. Now I believe it is estimated to be online by 2024.

And IIRC, two-way all-day service to Hamilton was originally promised by McGuinty to be ready in time for the Pan Am Games.

The big one that I can remember from the last election was Kitchener GO service. Glen Murray promised all day 15min GO service to Kitchener within "5 years" ... which would be 2019. Now I believe it is estimated to be online by 2024.

And IIRC, two-way all-day service to Hamilton was originally promised by McGuinty to be ready in time for the Pan Am Games.
Did he specify which Games? LOL

I remember this one too.

I though they had promised more. Like I figured the DRL and RER would be further along.

But doing a google search it appears their promises were very vague.

I remember this one too.

I though they had promised more. Like I figured the DRL and RER would be further along.

But doing a google search it appears their promises were very vague.
There may have been more, but those are two that I remember.

Murray, or whomever was advising him, overlooked that small chunk CN Rail continues to own. 15 minute off-peak was still unlikely but 15 minute rush frequencies with hourly off-peak probably would have; diesel of course.

I think Metrolinx staff are finding it's far harder to build a railway than they thought it would be. That said, they've also made some progress and the $20B network wide estimate appears, from a distance, to include the tricky pieces which were previously ignored.

Back