News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 796     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I got some pictures of the work going on at Kennedy station.
40283461872_29b987e5d8_z_d.jpg

39431216195_8e3d9e7777_z_d.jpg

39431216445_107c136547_z_d.jpg

39617504754_89786b932a_z_d.jpg

40283459442_f61aa587af_z_d.jpg

40283459452_cd257e3361_z_d.jpg

Oh wait, I'm only now realizing that there's so few emergency exits. Originally thought it was mandated to have one between every single station. Guess a new line through downtown will be slightly less complex than I thought.

Can anyone explain why they never extended the tunnel beyond Laird and ended the tunnel at Science Centre instead? Also, would turnbacks at Science Centre be preferable to Turnbacks at Laird?

There was to be no stop at Sunnybrook Park. It was to be underground all the way from Laird to Science Centre, but the NIMBYs (or is it YIMBYs in this case) demanded a stop at Leslie Street. So got their wish. (Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.)

There are crossovers at Laird and at Science Centre. Laird does has a tail track for storage.

Last edited:
There was to be no stop at Sunnybrook Park. It was to be underground all the way from Laird to Science Centre, but the NIMBYs (or is it YIMBYs in this case) demanded a stop at Leslie Street. So got their wish. (Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.)

no problem with this. only real problem (its a big one) in that area is the fact that the at grade section between laird and don mills is in the middle of the street. if it were put at the right side it wouldn't interfere with any traffic and it wouldn't cost as much as a tunnel.

Can anyone explain why they never extended the tunnel beyond Laird and ended the tunnel at Science Centre instead? Also, would turnbacks at Science Centre be preferable to Turnbacks at Laird?
I would say politics. Rob Ford wanted the LRT grade-separated, so Council demanded it be built on-street. This decision was in that short time when Council wanted LRT on-street on Eglinton and the transfer LRT for the SRT. Shortly thereafter, they voted for the SSE and cancelled the transfer SLRT. Ford was out of the picture (not officially, but in reality), and council didn't think about revisiting the ECLRT decision, or more realistically, didn't want to give Ford any type of small victory.

There are crossovers at Laird and at Science Centre. Laird does has a tail track for storage.
Go back a little farther and you get a different story.
  • The original EA had roughly what we have now.
  • I remember Steve Munro stating that this was a formality and it would be switched to the South side in detail design.
  • Metrolinx said it was impossible to build a portal on the West bank of the West Don, and they would have to tunnel all the way to Don Mills.
  • Locals wanted a station at Leslie, but Metrolinx said it was cost prohibitive at $60M.
  • They then reverted back to the original EA, to get the Leslie stop reinstated using the previously impossible portal.

I wonder how much extra they paid for that underground cross-over track with storage, compared to if they would have put it at grade on the south side between Leslie and Don Mills.

Last edited:
My view is that between Laird and Leslie all options of in-median, south-side, and underground were the wrong approach. I think there was a unstudied option of a separate bridge structure south of Eglinton. Very similar to the Black Creek crossing approaching Mt Dennis. This unstudied Leslie station would be 100% grade-separated, but not deep bore. It would straddle the east valley above the existing parking lot and be on a viaduct structure - perhaps with the eastern end into the portal. I don't see why such a thing couldn't have worked, and certainly scratch my head at Metrolinx's polarized options of 100% deep bore under a river or 100% in median: the two absolute extremes.

Back