Toronto Maverick | 154.53m | 49s | Empire | Arcadis

This thing is pure utter garbage. For a city that likes to lump itself into the "world class city" category and compare itself to London, Paris, Sydney, New York, LA; no one would never find this kind of non-sense in their city centres. Time and time again we get these useless proposals which look just outright embarrassing, and in the end they just get lost in the dozens of other bland buildings we have in the core. At this rate the entertainment district will probably lose the "entertainment" portion of its designation very soon, and will just become some generic bland downtown area albeit with heavy pedestrian traffic.

This shouldnt even go up in any of our inner city centres, let alone in the downtown core.

This thing is pure utter garbage. For a city that likes to lump itself into the "world class city" category and compare itself to London, Paris, Sydney, New York, LA; no one would never find this kind of non-sense in their city centres. Time and time again we get these useless proposals which look just outright embarrassing, and in the end they just get lost in the dozens of other bland buildings we have in the core. At this rate the entertainment district will probably lose the "entertainment" portion of its designation very soon, and will just become some generic bland downtown area albeit with heavy pedestrian traffic.

This shouldnt even go up in any of our inner city centres, let alone in the downtown core.

Literally every one of those cities except Paris has buildings like this in their city centre.

Literally every one of those cities except Paris has buildings like this in their city centre.
I'd have a pretty tough time picking them out as easy if I was out on a walk, in contrast with Downtown Toronto where these designs are littered around on every other street corner.

London has quite a few highrise boxes, but yes I agree they are more spread out. Toronto seems to be going for the record in terms of quantity and density of tall boxes in its core.

On my last visit, I was actually quite enheartened to see that New York was filled with mediocre condo boxes quite similar to our own. It's just that they also have a huge market for luxury units, so they get some spectacular architecture along with the banal.

Give me downtown Toronto over downtown LA every day.

I'll take DTLA's Broadway theatre district over our theatre district every time, though; even if the former is still very down-at-heel, the architecture is frequently remarkable.

Site Plan Approval filed on April 3:
upload_2018-4-23_22-9-17.png

upload_2018-4-23_22-9-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-23_22-9-17.png
    upload_2018-4-23_22-9-17.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 547
  • upload_2018-4-23_22-9-39.png
    upload_2018-4-23_22-9-39.png
    843.7 KB · Views: 588
eqbWin

7yhPFnu

Hi everyone,

I'm the resident directly below where they want to raise Maverik. As it stands, it seems like they don't have their site plan approval but I have been asked to leave at the end of August. I'm still unclear if they are allowed to do this.

Very sad about this.

There are 4 residents. I've been her for 3.5 years, two of my neighbours for over 10 years.

I'm unsure how they will get the clearance to build this. You'd have to close off King St. Or part of it. The alley way in the back is shared by King Blue and the Hotel.

I've talked to many people about this already and would love to hear what you guys have to say too.

*If you right click to open the broken image link it will open

Last edited:
The zoning was received several years ago.

Everyone has a right to develop their property if they want.

Site plan approval isn't require to evict a tenant, simply intent to demolish.

There will probably be a lane closure on King Street, just like they have done for King Blue.

Back