News   Apr 24, 2024
 272     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 633     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The issue isn’t the type and nature of retail in the case of Y+B - it is how the location basically imped traffic flow within the station.

AoD
It's both. Some locations are very poor and create bottle-necks and many have poor HVAC etc so are really not suitable for many kinds of retail. If the TTC is seri0us about retail it needs to look at both location and 'utilities'. The problem really is that at busy stations (where there would be more customers) there are crowds and usually less space. You could undoubtedly put more (some?) retail into Bessarion but there are few customers so ....

It's both. Some locations are very poor and create bottle-necks and many have poor HVAC etc so are really not suitable for many kinds of retail. If the TTC is seri0us about retail it needs to look at both location and 'utilities'. The problem really is that at busy stations (where there would be more customers) there are crowds and usually less space. You could undoubtedly put more (some?) retail into Bessarion but there are few customers so ....

Places like the lotto wickets are nothing more than a counter with a screen. Not exactly designed to remain long term.

It's a trade off but I would eliminate all but the dedicated shop on the Northbound Platform at Y&B. The other booths impede traffic flow.

At the end of the day the utilities such as HVAC and the overall conditions of the locations (some of which are in poor shape) preclude long term tenants with things people actually want.

Hey everyone!

I am debating getting either a Metropass or Monthly Pass on Presto for the TTC in March. Given the state of Presto I was wondering what peoples thoughts are?

Does anyone have any experience with Presto on here regarding it's reliability? Would hate to get a monthly pass on Presto only to have issues using it.

Hey everyone!

I am debating getting either a Metropass or Monthly Pass on Presto for the TTC in March. Given the state of Presto I was wondering what peoples thoughts are?

Does anyone have any experience with Presto on here regarding it's reliability? Would hate to get a monthly pass on Presto only to have issues using it.

Reliability-wise, on surface vehicles you wouldn't have any problem--if the readers are broken the rule is you ride free, and you wouldn't have a problem with fare inspectors between the broken reader and the fact that they can see the pass on your card.

As for subway stations, the old turnstile readers and the temporary construction readers have always worked fine for me, and I haven't heard any widespread complaints about them. The faregates are another story--I've heard lots of reports of people with money on their card trying all 6 or 8 or however many gates at a given station entrance and all of them decline the card and don't open. Of course, with a metropass on the card, at that point you can wait for someone to exit, or do the umbrella trick or whatever to get in without worrying about repercussions, between the gates being broken and having a pass on your card.

The issue at this point, and I recall we've discussed this before, is the number of presto-only subway entrances vs. the number of metropass-only subway entrances, of which St. George is a notable example. Note that, at this point, I think almost every metropass-only entrance except St George is under construction to be replaced with faregates, many of which would become presto-only entrances rather than also having a pass reader now that we're in 2018 and nearing the termination of legacy fare media.

Also, I recall you're on MDP--the TTC's official MDP>Presto forced migration is currently scheduled for this May, so you're close to having to switch anyways. If your MDP is up in February, you have two options; one is to renew MDP and get cheaper passes in March and April, then they'll cancel it for you with no penalty, and you can subscribe to the Presto annual pass in May. Or, you can buy either physical or presto metropasses yourself for March and April, then subscribe to the annual pass in May. There is a strong possibility they will do limited rollouts of the annual pass in March, and especially in April, like they did in January, then you could get the discounted pass before the full rollout in May as long as you stay tuned and you're quick to subscribe to it before it's sold out. I'm not familiar with MDP, I've heard the paperwork and administration can be a disorganized headache so it may not be worth dealing with them for 2 months then having them cancel and migrate you in May vs. just doing it yourself.

Last edited:
I already canceled the MDP. They wanted a 30 day cancellation heads up to avoid paying 11 months worth of discounts back.

The reason I asked this new question was because I was trying to avoid having to carry around tokens to avoid Presto reliability issues. I can either get a metropass or load a pass onto Presto but I was trying avoid buying both because the Presto readers only work a part of the time.

I guess I am asking if Presto is currently a reliable method of payment.

Last edited:
I already canceled the MDP. They wanted a 30 day cancellation heads up to avoid paying 11 months worth of discounts back.

The reason I asked this new question was because I was trying to avoid having to carry around tokens to avoid Presto reliability issues. I can either get a metropass or load a pass onto Presto but I was trying avoid buying both because the Presto readers only work a part of the time.

I guess I am asking if Presto is currently a reliable method of payment.

Overall, I think yes, it is reliable. It's 100% reliable on buses and streetcars from the perspective of a rider, because even if the readers are broken, you can ride, so what's the difference.

The only unreliability is in a small number of the faregates. I've never encountered ANY issue with them personally, but some people have been unable to enter a station because of it.

However, overall, I think it is reliable enough to switch to it at this point.

Overall, I think yes, it is reliable. It's 100% reliable on buses and streetcars from the perspective of a rider, because even if the readers are broken, you can ride, so what's the difference.

The only unreliability is in a small number of the faregates. I've never encountered ANY issue with them personally, but some people have been unable to enter a station because of it.

However, overall, I think it is reliable enough to switch to it at this point.

I've seen that happen. I swiped my metropass and let a woman into the station. She tapped on every reader at Runnymede but they were all dead.

Hey everyone!

I've been using my presto card with a metropass on it since the start of the month and had no problems with it at all.

I would say yes, don't forget more people are likely to post about a negative issue rather than a positive one.

I’d say it’s 98% reliable. I’d keep $6.50 on me for that extra 2%. I’ve alrwady been stranded at least once (when reload machines weren’t worming), and it’s going to be a long time before I trust Presto again. Heaven forbid I was heading to work the day the reload machines stopped working.

I’d say it’s 98% reliable. I’d keep $6.50 on me for that extra 2%. I’ve alrwady been stranded at least once (when reload machines weren’t worming), and it’s going to be a long time before I trust Presto again. Heaven forbid I was heading to work the day the reload machines stopped working.
If your using it instead of cash or tokens/ tickets yes. But If you have a metropass on it you don't have to worry about that at all. The only reason I have a balance on it is in case I use Go transit or something else outside of Toronto.

Autoload

I know Autoload exists.
Don’t tell me to use autoload to work around Presto’s deficiencies. Presto should work as advertised.

It should but it does not. Do not complain to us that it left you stranded because the reload machine did not work if you refuse to use autoload. You know it is having issues but you still use it and complain when it does not work. There is a super easy way to ensure you never have to worry about loading your card but you refuse to use it out of principle. You sir have no right to complain.

It should but it does not. Do not complain to us that it left you stranded because the reload machine did not work if you refuse to use autoload. You know it is having issues but you still use it and complain when it does not work. There is a super easy way to ensure you never have to worry about loading your card but you refuse to use it out of principle. You sir have no right to complain.

Escuse me? I have no right to complain that Presto isn’t working as advertised? After we paid how many hundreds of millions of dollars for this thing? Give me a break.

And by the way, not everyone afford to have $20 automatically taken from our accounts, especially if someone is using transit infrequent.

Back