Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

I grew up in Parkdale in the 80's and 90's and loved coming down to the kids village at Ontario Place. They definitely should make it more interesting and appealing as an alternative to driving out to wonderland or other amusement parks. I have kids now and need a bit more to keep them interested than an open lawn.
I say bring back the mini golf, kids village and water park. I think there are so many new families in the area that it would be a success as an amusement park.
2015422-CHILDRENS-VILLAGE-05.jpg

Seriously. That Children's Village was legendary. It would make even more sense to build a new one now because the downtown population has exploded, and people don't want to have to travel far in horrid traffic to go somewhere fun with their families. This is a no-brainer. We don't need more generic parks consisting of just boring trees and grass, lacking features that would give people a reason to go there.

I'm a pessimist though - I'd bet the original village was closed and demolished due to idiotic liability issues.

Something like the play area at Maggie Daley Park and a skatetrail around OP might be a great idea/

AoD

That skate trail wrapping around and through the rock climbing structures is amazing; you're right, something like that would be perfect here.

I'd also love to see the shoreline activated in a way that encourages people to interact with the water -- since that edge is on the south side and away from the harbour, it's nothing but clean water and a straight shot to 'Murica.

They did a great job of that at Brooklyn Bridge Park (even though the water is disgusting):

800px-Main_Street_section_of_Brooklyn_Bridge_Park%2C_July_2017.jpg

That skate trail wrapping around and through the rock climbing structures is amazing; you're right, something like that would be perfect here.

I'd also love to see the shoreline activated in a way that encourages people to interact with the water -- since that edge is on the south side and away from the harbour, it's nothing but clean water and a straight shot to 'Murica.

They did a great job of that at Brooklyn Bridge Park (even though the water is disgusting):

I want something even bigger, more dramatic and topographically oriented than the skatetrail/rock climbing structures - as nice as it is insufficiently monumental for this site.

AoD

Seriously. That Children's Village was legendary. It would make even more sense to build a new one now because the downtown population has exploded, and people don't want to have to travel far in horrid traffic to go somewhere fun with their families. This is a no-brainer. We don't need more generic parks consisting of just boring trees and grass, lacking features that would give people a reason to go there.

I'm a pessimist though - I'd bet the original village was closed and demolished due to idiotic liability issues.
As a lad in the 1970s I loved the Children's Village. Those huge punching bags that you'd use to clobber your brother. All the bouncy enclosures, the rope ladders to the towers.... Liability-wise I think they'd have trouble today.

They have a great park for kids in old Montreal that I'd love to see emulated. Climbing and zip lines.

voilesenvoiles-herbertisme-montreal.jpg
activites-voiles-en-voiles.jpg

Attachments

• voilesenvoiles-herbertisme-montreal.jpg
    voilesenvoiles-herbertisme-montreal.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 473
  • activites-voiles-en-voiles.jpg
    activites-voiles-en-voiles.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 438
God that Children's Village video almost made me cry. I have such wonderful memories of playing there as a child in the 70s. Some of my happiest childhood memories of all were in there. So sad I don't have anywhere to take my young child to like that now.

As a lad in the 1970s I loved the Children's Village. Those huge punching bags that you'd use to clobber your brother. All the bouncy enclosures, the rope ladders to the towers.... Liability-wise I think they'd have trouble today.

This is what Ontario Place needs, not more passive parkland!

News Release

Vibrant Waterfront Park Coming to Ontario Place
May 1, 2018

New Design Will Create Green Space and Expand Public Access Along Toronto’s Waterfront
The province is transforming Ontario Place into a vibrant waterfront destination and creating a huge new multi-use park for people and families to enjoy.

Daiene Vernile, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, was at Ontario Place today to announce plans for more green space on the iconic property and to unveil the design for Celebration Common, a new multi-purpose waterfront park that will be roughly the size of 14 football fields.

The park - which is being designed by award-winning firm DTAH - will host large-scale festivals and events, feature an outdoor play area for kids and a beach where locals and visitors can play outdoor sports or simply enjoy the waterfront.

The development of Celebration Common is the next step in transforming Ontario Place into a year-round destination for everyone to enjoy.

As revitalization moves forward, Ontario Place continues to welcome people to the site with new public programming throughout late spring and summer, including:

This summer, Ontario Place will welcome back the YMCA Toronto's Day Camp, an outdoor children's camp experience that includes games, crafts, cycling, and water sport activities. Ontario Place will also be working with other non-profit organizations and local community groups on a program to give free tickets to DTAH is an award-winning design firm whose other waterfront projects have included the revitalization of Queens Quay and the Central Toronto Waterfront.
  • Ontario Place’s Cinesphere reopened to the public in November 2017 with regular, year-round cinematic presentations.
  • The Trillium Park and William G. Davis Trail opened in June 2017 and now welcomes people back to a spectacular piece of Toronto’s waterfront for the first time in over forty years.
  • To make Ontario Place more accessible, the Toronto Transit Commission’s 121 Fort York bus will include two stops at Ontario Place, beginning June 24, 2018.

Back