Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

There is indeed no occupied retail on the ground floor but the Hayden entrance to the south is heavily trafficked throughout the day. There wouldn't be much sense in spending money to close it.

Xerox, by the way, is up in York Mills now. They lost that anchor a while back.

Hmmm. But only 49 spots for a 17-storey office tower. (not sure where these 108 above-ground stalls are, unless they are part of the Green P) I'm sure a large percentage of tenants use the subway, but I'd imagine more than 49 of them drive.

I think the above ground are Hayden-level, under Bloor level due to the north-south grade.

Two of those floors are shared co-working space; short-term/temporary stuff for budding startups. Probably not a lot of long-term parkers there.

There is indeed no occupied retail on the ground floor but the Hayden entrance to the south is heavily trafficked throughout the day. There wouldn't be much sense in spending money to close it.

Just path of least-resistance will account for a certain degree of change. There ('s the option for) no stairs coming off Yonge, and you have to head the same distance north to get to the stairs/escalator down to the subway. I'm no expert in foot traffic, but I personally see little advantage to the Hayden entrance if you're coming off Yonge. Yonge has the incentives of no stairs, enticing retail and a nicer entrance. I wouldn't be surprised if it stole everything except Hayden-direct traffic away.

Last edited:

Also, living in the area, the subway escalator at this building remained in a state of repair for almost a year. The accessibility elevator seems to regularly need to be repaired as well. In the fall that south entrance fills with leaves; in the winter, it fills with dirty snow. And then there's the state that it gets left in by the homeless. If the financial issues I've heard about are true, then why continue to spend money on something not making money? If there were retail on the ground floor, I could see it, but no one seems to want to touch it with a ten-foot pole. Unless there's an accessibility deal with the TTC and some clause that that entrance remain open, I don't see why there isn't a prudent reason not to close it.

I see people using the Hayden entrance off the TTC every morning. I don't think they will be closing that exit anytime soon. There will probably be renewed commercial interest once the stores in 1 Bloor have opened up and there's more traffic.

Does anyone have inside photos of this building being finished? If so I would appreciate it you can post them on here. Love to see the finished results !

There's a new TTC sign at the Yonge St entrance to the subway like the one at Osgoode Station. Didn't have time to take a picture but will try and take one on the way home.

Does anyone have inside photos of this building being finished? If so I would appreciate it you can post them on here. Love to see the finished results !

There are 50+ units for lease on Realtor.ca at the minute - most of them with interior suite finishes

There are 50+ units for lease on Realtor.ca at the minute - most of them with interior suite finishes

Thanks for that info. But I'm talking about the public places that this building has to offer for eg spas, lounge etc. I think I seen a picture of the hallway on page 566 and now I'm just curious.

I feel that Hayden exit isn't long for this world. The 33 Bloor building is (from what I've heard) is doing poorly; all retail is currently vacant and has been for a while now. Not to mention that Hayden entrance is routinely absolutely filthy. Completely anecdotal, but I've seen that entrance (and the associated elevator) used as a washroom on several occasions. With a much nicer entrance off Yonge, with interesting retail to draw attention and feet, I think the traffic from the Hayden side is gonna diminish greatly. The appeal to the potential retailers (if they ever get someone to even look at a lease) is gone. The only advantage left is the accessibility elevator to the TTC. And they'd be better off disabling that middle floor and allowing access only from Bloor-ground.

http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/ArlinMarkowitz-33BloorEastFlyer.pdf
I'm going to guess the retail is purposely all vacant.

*Groans* more construction. But seriously this looks beautiful and will renew the space, I'm looking forward to completion.

http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/ArlinMarkowitz-33BloorEastFlyer.pdf
I'm going to guess the retail is purposely all vacant.

It’s not on purpose. The intent of this construction is to try and entice the filling of long-vacant retail vacancy.

The Bloor-facing retail has been vacant for literally years. They took it to base-building a while back in hopes of getting something.

Friends at Cushman have outright told me that 33 Bloor is having money issues. There were vacancies of entire floors for extended periods of time, and retail has suffered since Roy’s Square disappeared.

I hope they’re able to enact the makeover, but I’m willing to bet it’s entirely dependent on long-term retail leases being signed first.

Back