News   Mar 28, 2024
 99     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

So, would you want the PC's in power with all of this chaos happening? I know that people don't like Wynne or the Liberal government, but would they take a chance on a party that can't get along?

Another thing to worry about is what a bitter internal civil war in the party will translate into if it gets into power policy-wise. It doesn't feel like all is well, group hug and let's sing Kumbaya scenario.

AoD

A little Friday afternoon drama...

CP24:

BREAKING: Patrick Brown has just arrived at PC Headquarters on the last day where members are allowed to enter their name for the leadership race. He did not answer any questions from reporters.

Patrick Brown is entering the Ontario PC leadership race, the Sun has learned.

Assuming they even let him enter, I bet Patrick Brown will win the nomination. A lot of PC members feel that Brown was improperly ousted, and will want to right the wrong

If the PCs bar him from running somehow, it has the potential to look pretty bad, especially if Brown plays the "wrongfully accused man trying to salvage an unjustly tarnished reputation" card. Mind you, he looks pretty feckless as is, trying for another bite at the apple after fumbling things so badly to begin with. Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to resign the leadership position, after all.

In the meantime, will he be moving forward with his lawsuit as well? And who is he going to take to court? If I was Brown, I'd most want revenge against the party insiders who 're rumored to have engineered this entire mess.

Another thing to worry about is what a bitter internal civil war in the party will translate into if it gets into power policy-wise. It doesn't feel like all is well, group hug and let's sing Kumbaya scenario.

AoD
Ya think? But there's also a good chance that "the man back from the dead" might in fact do all that the likes of nasties Ford and Allen claim to want in terms of "clearing out the rot" and take their votes doing it, and *still claim to be the only one following The Party Line* to do it! It was his platform! If that was all Brown's doing, then he's a lot stronger leader than some think.

This thing is far from over, and to think that Wynne has clear sailing from here on is to think that the "MeToos" have all slunk back into the background.

If anything, the present Brown downing will embolden every crackpot with an issue since Confederation to come out of the woodwork and claim 'abuse'.

Be very careful what you wish for at this point in time. There are no 'rules' when it comes to playing "J'Accuse!". It's remarkably classless in that respect. Speaking of 'giving head'...the guillotine has spoken.

Last edited:
Hmmm this will be interesting. Feels like a reality show. The next 3 weeks are going to be a circus. Can't wait to see who emerges as the leader.

A contact in the press tells me that they're not even done with allegations against Brown. Other outlets have been investigating Patrick Brown and might've let up after he stepped down. That work is probably full steam ahead as of this afternoon.

A contact in the press tells me that they're not even done with allegations against Brown. Other outlets have been investigating Patrick Brown and might've let up after he stepped down. That work is probably full steam ahead as of this afternoon.
I'm sure of it! But it's not just Brown. That's the point. *Anyone and everyone is game*! Some more than others.

But let's not overlook an important point: (and I will have to verify the veracity of this later) "Brown has 100 caucus members signed on his application".

Something's not adding up here...and I trust Fedeli less than a used car salesman.

What I can see coming out of this is something that should have happened a long time ago: The Progressives and the Blue Cons split. The Libs would bleed members to the Progressives, they have their own issues. The Ont PCs cannot continue under one tent.

Addendum for some background:
Ernest Charles Drury (January 22, 1878 – February 17, 1968) was a farmer, politician and writer who served as the eighth Premier of Ontario, Canada, from 1919 to 1923 as the head of a United Farmers of OntarioLabour coalition government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Charles_Drury
Today's Ont PCs are a relatively new party formed just after WWII. Prior to that, as you see above, factions were more the norm, and coalitions were required, some formal, some understandings (more recently, NDP/Lib ones, even if unofficial).

Those times might have returned...

Last edited:
I'm sure of it! But it's not just Brown. That's the point. *Anyone and everyone is game*! Some more than others.

But let's not overlook an important point: (and I will have to verify the veracity of this later) "Brown has 100 caucus members signed on his application".

Something's not adding up here...and I trust Fedeli less than a used car salesman.

What I can see coming out of this is something that should have happened a long time ago: The Progressives and the Blue Cons split. The Libs would bleed members to the Progressives, they have their own issues. The Ont PCs cannot continue under one tent.

That would even the playing field. Liberals have to work extra hard to offset those who vote NDP. A 4 party system would allow people to vote true to their ideology rather than strategically.

That would even the playing field. Liberals have to work extra hard to offset those who vote NDP. A 4 party system would allow people to vote true to their ideology rather than strategically.
LOL!

I've been voting with my convictions since 2003, never had a vote count.

Try again.

Like it or not, this is the world-wide trend, *especially in prop-rep systems*. Canada is now only one of about 6 western nations that doesn't have prop-rep. Frankly, I see advantages by first past the post, not least in picking a leader.

But that being said, even in FPTP systems, it's *coalitions* that are becoming the norm. We've had them in Ontario, albeit unofficial, and had them in Ottawa, and Westminster is held together by some 8? Northern Ireland (Ulster) coalition partners who're wagging the wounded dog by the tail of grief at this point in time. And May they shall...

OntLibs are next, albeit that would probably be the end of the Ont NDP.

Clarification: It's ten members of the DUP:
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40245514

Politics has become highly fractious. Just look at the Cons. Two wingnuts, and two vanilla coated creme buns. And the Walking Dead about to join them.

And the one probably most able to start a new party? The dead man walking. If he has any backbone, he can play this angle, and play it well given the right counsel.

Last edited:
I've been voting with my convictions since 2003, never had a vote count.
There's the case for PropRep. It has pitfalls, but the stability of our present system looks pretty shaky at this point anyway.

I wonder how the Trillium party feels about all of this.
They might feel like vanguards.

If you were Wynne, what would your plan be at this point?
I know what the advice would be: "Assume nothing, and expect the worst, but hope for the best".

There's a *lot* that can wrong with everything at this point.

Back