Toronto 180 Sheppard Avenue East | 25.3m | 6s | HOK

It is quite disconcerting that Mr Filion has not attempted to keep up with the times and embrace the recommendations of the city and provincial bodies regarding intelligent intensification along the Avenues of Toronto.Mr Filion Is certainly behaving as if he's a man of the past as opposed to a visionary of the future.If I practice the same way for over 40 years without taking continuing education courses,assessing community demographic changes,upgrading services levels and instrumentation,I would quickly become a dinosaur and disappear.Unfortunately,the wealth of information available to Mr Filion including urban studies,population growth and demographics reports,and recommendation of intensification of land use via mid-rise concepts is obviously falling on deaf ears.Yonge and Sheppard is recognized by many as the geographic epicentre of the city and trying to hold on to urban directives of the 70's is quite myopic.
What's more troublesome is his comment regarding our application as an "obnoxious proposal". Mr Filion is not just insulting Teeple,Weston Group,Stonegate and Eye on Sheppard but also his own city planners.Our goal from the outset was not driven to exploit the community to drive profits but rather to create an architecturally stunning building which balances a sensitivity of our surrounding community and addresses the future growth needs of Eyes On Sheppard as well the Sheppard corridor.Our building concept does this beautifully and adheres to the "Avenue and Mid-Rise Building Study".We must press on.

Last edited:
So much of this doesn't make sense. There's a subway underneath but Willowdale residents fought against a station. The Secondary Plan for that stretch of Sheppard has stupidly low density limits considering its location. Residents still complain that car traffic is the most important thing ever.

Now Fillion does have a point that infrastructure such as as local schools need immediate improvements and that we need to stop allowing condos on lands zoned for offices along Yonge. There's some design issues with this development (the rear angular plane if I remember right) but all in all it looks like a great improvement for the area.

City Planning Request for Directions Report

To be considered by North York Community Council on April 14 2015:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-78580.pdf

Applications were appealed to the OMB, pre-hearing is scheduled for May 19 2015.

City Planning staff are in support of the proposal and needs directions from Council ... I too thought initially this 6 storeys proposal is surprisingly low on Sheppard, but given the shallow site backing onto existing detached homes, I can appreciate the appropriate transition thru angular planes to avoid privacy and overlook concerns

Updated render from the Dev App site:
upload_2017-6-25_23-9-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-25_23-9-44.png
    upload_2017-6-25_23-9-44.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 848
What a mess. Or maybe Teeple has just become better at projecting their as-built aesthetic...

Wow. What an awful building. I usually don't comment on architecture but this requires a response. It's the house that Homer Simpson built.

Back