News   Apr 24, 2024
 549     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 754     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 524     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Brown is dead not because of the accusations, which is survivable should he decisively removed himself temporarily pending investigation - but because of his cut and run approach, which is anything but of leadership quality. If you can't even handle that, how can you handle being Premier?

AoD
That's a different point, he was never a leader, let alone a potential one, to start with. I'm talking about *the ability to depose with unsubstantiated allegations*! And that orgs like CTV (and they're far from being alone, although this instance was pretty egregious) will gladly use it like "tabloids" ( credit to @ADRM) to affect the dispatch.

All that has to happen is that a former 'acquaintance' of Wynne's has to proclaim how 'Wynne forced herself on me'. Context or details don't matter. The MSM will run with it.

Last edited:
That's a different point, he was never a leader, let alone a potential one, to start with. I'm talking about *the ability to depose with unsubstantiated allegations*! And that orgs like CTV (and they're far from being alone, although this instance was pretty egregious) will gladly use it like "tabloids" ( credit to @ADRM) to affect the dispatch.

Not really. Accusations of impropriety (financial, moral-ethical, etc) and it being magnified by the media intentionally or otherwise has always been around. It's always been how you handle it that determines the outcome.

Well, more drama - from the Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...y-mpps-he-was-quitting-after-sex-scandal.html

AoD

Last edited:
Not really. Accusations of impropriety (financial, moral-ethical, etc) and it being magnified by the media intentionally or otherwise has always been around. It's always been how you handle it that determines the outcome.

Well, more drama - from the Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...y-mpps-he-was-quitting-after-sex-scandal.html

AoD
And that's exactly my point. Wynne is more of a potential target than the other leaders. As for that Star article, it doesn't change anything as per my point, but since you raise it, his resignation must be signed. "I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you" doesn't stand in western law.

As much as I detest Brown, and always have (along with many in all parties) he has a very real case against CTV. The question isn't whether he can win or not, but when CTV caves to their own counsel to 'back out of the hole'.

And that's exactly my point. Wynne is more of a potential target than the other leaders. As for that Star article, it doesn't change anything as per my point, but since you raise it, his resignation must be signed. "I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you" doesn't stand in western law.

As much as I detest Brown, and always have (along with many in all parties) he has a very real case against CTV. The question isn't whether he can win or not, but when CTV caves to their own counsel to 'back out of the hole'.

It might not legally change anything, but court of law is not the same thing as court of public opinion - and not everything should be decided in the former. He already blew it, but he seems intent to take the ship down with him with this course of action.

As to CTV, perhaps they can just "ignore" the lawsuit per Brown? haha.

AoD

It might not legally change anything, but court of law is not the same thing as court of public opinion - and not everything should be decided in the former. He already blew it, but he seems intent to take the ship down with him with this course of action.

As to CTV, perhaps they can just "ignore" the lawsuit per Brown? haha.

AoD
You do realize that Brown has clarified his intention to run or not yesterday? He's not. He wants to clear his name. And it looks very good for him. As to how 'CTV can ignore that'. ????

Many competitors have their knives out now for CTV. Let alone a suit brought in a court of law...

You do realize that Brown has clarified his intention to run or not yesterday? He's not. He wants to clear his name. And it looks very good for him. As to how 'CTV can ignore that'. ????

Many competitors have their knives out now for CTV. Let alone a suit brought in a court of law...

We shall see, I would not be surprised to see everything hushed at the end of the day and settled out of court given he isn't exactly all that squeaky himself.

AoD

Did anyone watch the TVO leadership debate?

It was bad. Mulroney seemed to be the most reasonable, but none of them stood out as leadership material (especially in terms of policy, etc.).

Unfortunately they all seem intent on dragging the party back to the right, or far right.

Meanwhile, more #MeToo dra
ma at QP?

John Nunziata @nunziata
5:29 PM - 15 Feb 2018
I was retained today by a woman who was sexually assaulted and abused by a Liberal cabinet minister. The Premier was informed 3 weeks ago #onpoli #cdnpoli

A loose cannon indeed. I feel sorry for any woman who has Nunziata representing her as a lawyer.

Given his rhetoric and mounting support over the past week, I expected Brown would put his name in to run for the leadership.

This all but guarantees a lot of mud slinging for at least the next few weeks. The PCs are killing the little time they have left until the provincial election, fighting each other.

They will make up some reason why he is not eligible.
"John Brown's body lies a-moldering in the grave"
Oh the irony that CTV beat others to the rabbit punch:

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, February 16, 2018 12:03PM EST
Last Updated Friday, February 16, 2018 3:54PM EST

Former Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown arrived at the party’s headquarters Friday afternoon, ratcheting up speculation that Brown could be running for leadership since his resignation three weeks ago.

The deadline to sign up for leadership for the upcoming PC race is today at 5 p.m. EST.

Brown silently walked past reporters and into the closed-door meeting. Brown did not answer questions about whether or not he’ll be running.
[...]
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/patri...ation-he-will-enter-leadership-race-1.3806636

[...]Soon, though, a new version appeared that hitched the old tune to a more militant cause. When the abolitionist John Brown was executed in 1859, someone created a new, fiercer set of lyrics; the song now declared that "John Brown’s body lies a-mouldering in the grave. His soul is marching on!"
http://www.loc.gov/teachers/lyrical/songs/john_brown.html

"Martyred" as it were...

A loose cannon indeed. I feel sorry for any woman who has Nunziata representing her as a lawyer.
Perhaps...but you miss the nuance. This is the first of many...unless Brown wins his case, and gets CTV to admit to poor journalism, let alone damages, brace yourself.

And Wynne is right in the line of fire...

Back